Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #361
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, and it eats me up inside they're all on there.

Darts falls into that grey area, it's kind of a pub sport, like billiards. It still involves some type of physical skill and accuracy, so while I deff get the complaints, its close enough for me I can justify it being on TSN in the afternoon. But cards? Blech
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:39 AM   #362
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darts at least has "The Voice", hearing him shout "180!" is must see TV. Dude makes Tom Waits sound clear.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:59 AM   #363
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I guess is precision a sporting skill? Darts and billiards, especially snooker, require extraordinary precision at the top level.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #364
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Being petty was totally worth the flag

https://twitter.com/user/status/1358638800126283776

https://twitter.com/user/status/1358639547635040256
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:35 PM   #365
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
LOL back, only people who suck at it would call it a non sport. Not only is golf a sport it's one of the most competitive sports ever, you should pick on baseball where you can still win if you suck any given day.
Why not pick on both? The greatest athlete of all time is neither a golfer nor a baseball player. I mean, they could be, but you'd need to bring in evidence from outside their games to show that. And that's the case even if we accept golf and baseball as sports.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:45 PM   #366
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Having had some time to vent out on this. The Chiefs earned every bit of hate and vitriol that they are getting. They walked into this week thinking that they were going to be gifted the game. They behaved like a bunch of amateur's who had never been to the game before. They were so impressed with themselves that the forgot to pay attention to the game and embarrassed themselves like no other team in history.

So getting knocked down a peg might teach some of these guys a bit of humility. It's going to be 5-6 years until they get to another Superbowl...they need the cap to inflate and fix some roster problems in the next few years.

It was a good run and getting to two straight Super bowls is not easy. Might be the last time they make it in my lifetime. They acted like ass hats and now they look as dumb as the Houston Texans for it...they'll be mocked for eternity as losers for how they approached this game. Hopefully they learn from this, and come back. But I don't see that happening any time soon.

In all the years New England went there, they never once acted like this. Probably why they were in every single one of those games. But even the Patriots had a couple of gaps between appearances in the game, and the Chiefs are nowhere close to what those teams were.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:57 PM   #367
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ You're overly down on the team after a tough loss.

They have Patrick Mahomes and that means they could make it to the Super Bowl every year.

The were outcoached and the tougher team won but they will learn from that.

They had no scheme to slow down the Bucs rush, Mahomes ran for 500 yards in the pocket and if not for some drops they could turn those field goals into touchdowns and it's a different game. Reffing did them no favours either IMO.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:36 PM   #368
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

It is going to be tough to keep getting back to the big game with Mahomes making a ton now. They have a solid team but the cap issues will be coming. I agree with SylvanFan, they came across as a team that felt like this was going to be just another easy game on their way to 6 or 7 trophys with Mahomes. I wouldnt rule it out that Mahomes becomes a multiple SB winner but it also wouldnt surprise me if he never wins another and that isnt a knock on him.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #369
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hard to know what teams will look like next year but this site projects the Chiefs to have negative $11 million in cap space for 2021 and Bucs to have positive $30 million +. Even with restructuring it's going to be hard for Chiefs.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/cap/
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:52 PM   #370
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thing is the Chiefs haven't mortaged the future to get to where they have with this roster. They aren't the LA Rams who have no picks for 10 years.

They still have all their picks in this draft, and haven't traded picks in future drafts.

Plus they will be attractive to Free Agents who want to chase a ring for as long as Mahomes is there, and receivers will probably want to sign there too.

It's not going to be as easy as it was with Mahomes on their rookie deal but they are still set up pretty good for the future.

I could easily see a Bucs - Chiefs rematch in the Super Bowl next year.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:55 PM   #371
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
It is going to be tough to keep getting back to the big game with Mahomes making a ton now. They have a solid team but the cap issues will be coming. I agree with SylvanFan, they came across as a team that felt like this was going to be just another easy game on their way to 6 or 7 trophys with Mahomes. I wouldnt rule it out that Mahomes becomes a multiple SB winner but it also wouldnt surprise me if he never wins another and that isnt a knock on him.
They will always have a chance with Mahomes but I remember when Rogers won his Super Bowl and who would have imagined then that he wouldn't get another chance to play in another? Nothing is guaranteed but Kelce probably has 2-3 years left of 1000 yard production and Hill is only 26 so they will have a chance every season for at least the next three years. The reality is that this team is the most talented offensively that Mahomes will ever have so if they don't make it back to the Super Bowl in the next six seasons (as Sylvanfan said) Mahomes may never make it back as I don't see Reid as a guy that's going to be able to coach into his late 60's and who knows what happens when he leaves as poor NFL coaching can squander elite talent. It's why I can see Mahomes never achieving greatest of all time status as a lot can happen over the course of a career and his early success isn't a guarantee as he's in a situation today that's never going to be better than it is now and it's probably going to get worse over the years not better as he won't have Reid or Kelce for his entire career.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-08-2021 at 02:59 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2021, 03:56 PM   #372
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think I read the other day that Brady left $60 M on the table so that the Pats could remain competitive over the years.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #373
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even this year, Brady at 25M was a bargain by NFL standards for an elite QB.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:48 AM   #374
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I think I read the other day that Brady left $60 M on the table so that the Pats could remain competitive over the years.
I believe it. One of the reasons he's won as much as he has is because the winning has always meant more than the money.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:49 AM   #375
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

He can leave money behind, his wife makes more than he does!

Old 02-09-2021, 10:26 AM   #376
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was waiting for Syl's overreaction, didn't disappoint lol. The Chiefs are fine, they are always going to have cap battles. But it's the problem every other team in the league would trade with them, making it work with an elite QB. Better that than hoping you can open up another 3-4 year window with a rookie, because it's the same basic problem, but the other way around: can you fill in all of the other holes on your roster to take advantage of a below market QB deal? Chargers and Bengals are already on the clock to make sure they don't waste Herbert/Burrow's deals, but odds are they probably will. We act like the rookie deal is now they way to winning, but only the Seahawks and Chiefs have actually done it in the rookie cap era (the Eagles mostly did I guess), otherwise its been established high end QBs, and Eli and Flacco.

Chiefs will have to draft well, but they already do draft well. They will be a perennial playoff team and then come playoff time they'll have the best QB or close to it. No, they won't win 7 or 8 in a row or whatever, but for the next 15 years they'll be one of the top five favorites every year. Besides who in the AFC is even in position to ride a rookie deal? The Chargers and Bengals? Lol oh yeah two horrific franchises likely to blow it. Otherwise everyone is paying ~$30 million for QB play or has trash QB options. Chiefs are Dee Ford onside away from playing in three straight Super Bowls with a mediocre roster outside their high end talent. Pretty sure they can keep producing mediocre rosters with their high end talent, just imagine if they draft well enough to have a good roster with that high end talent.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:18 AM   #377
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Yeah the Chiefs got the one star star QB in the first round of the last what, 7-10 drafts? There was a list posted a few days ago of all the QBs picked in the first round in the last decade? Dire list.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/fro...042319653.html

Old 02-09-2021, 12:11 PM   #378
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

^^^
Is it that bad though? Deshaun Watson I think has been perfectly fine...not his fault the organization is a mess.

Josh Allen looks like a player to me. Even Lamar Jackson for all the criticism he takes can still run an offence pretty well.

We will see how guys like Herbert, Burrow, Lawrence eventually pan out here.

Even Baker Mayfield for all the criticism he gets was far better this year and played well enough in his first post season.

Look thru the 90's...did Drew Bledsoe measure up...outside of him and Peyton Manning was there anyone else memorable drafted in that decade in the first round? Players like Mahomes really are a once in a decade type of pick.