Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 03-01-2021, 03:56 PM   #5701
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
It does not.

From what I recall:

Woman falls in love with bear.
Woman tries to rape bear.
Bear unsurprisingly attacks woman.
Woman decides perhaps bears are not her thing and moves out of the cabin.

Fairly typical summer-fling style story. Only, you know.... bears.
I gotta say....and I dont mean to kink-shame anyone...but attempting to rape a bear has to be one of the top 5 stupidest things anyone could ever do.

Yeah....its up there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:40 PM   #5702
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I don't know what Burger King All Dressed Chicken Nuggets taste like but it's not All Dressed chips, or anything that resembles food in general.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:02 PM   #5703
RichieRich
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I only eat ugly animals. But not like... super ugly, just ugly enough. Somewhere between "wow, majestic" and "get that thing away from me." Don't care how smart they are.
hmmm escargot...
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:20 PM   #5704
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHW View Post
When we have to say goodbye to the elder, we will be looking for a new puppy. We'll try to set up a succession that way. Of course, I hope that that day is still far in the future. The elder is a shepherd / husky mix and a bit wild (is already trying to run full tilt, two weeks after his surgery). Maybe in his middle age he will start to set a good example for the younger, who is a husky / ?/? / collie 🙂
Yeah, trying to keep one dog less active for rehab is a full time job. Current dog is a purebred Siberian Husky...she climbed on my kids trampoline to try and get at some mag pies one day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
HHW
Old 03-02-2021, 08:20 AM   #5705
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

saw an altercation between two people on the train today.

One person sent a fake punch towards the other person. you know the kind where you take a half or 3/4 swing at the person and then stop.

the other pressed the emergency button and asked for the police to be called as she has been physically assaulted. then turned to other people and said "you witnessed me being assaulted, right?"

I don't think you can call that being assaulted. I wasn't going to be a witness for her.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:13 AM   #5706
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

One person sent a fake punch towards the other person. you know the kind where you take a half or 3/4 swing at the person and then stop.

the other pressed the emergency button and asked for the police to be called as she has been physically assaulted. then turned to other people and said "you witnessed me being assaulted, right?"

I don't think you can call that being assaulted. I wasn't going to be a witness for her.
I'm no lawyer and Wikipedia is hardly the end all for the law, but this does appear to meet the definition of assault, in some jurisdictions. Physical contact is not always necessary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:20 AM   #5707
Nufy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

If the other person had reacted to the fake punch and decked the first person...would it be assault or self defense ?
Old 03-02-2021, 10:31 AM   #5708
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Not a lawyer, but I believe events where you're physically threatened enough to react/fall over etc can still be considered assault.

edit: Yeah, depends on jurisdiction, as above.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:33 AM   #5709
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why wouldn't you be a witness for her?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #5710
jayswin

Exp:

^^^^^^^

To be honest I don't know if I'd want to either. I'd absolutely make sure she was okay and safe and that the aggressor was gone, so she's not open to further incident. But if someone's calling out that "you saw I was assaulted, right?" when she wasn't hit that would be red flags for me.

edit: That's despite my last post suggesting there are some jurisdictions where threatening assault is assault. GordonBlue's post made it sound like she wasn't going for a loophole, or specified definition of assault, but rather trying to get people to agree he hit her.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:39 AM   #5711
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Why wouldn't you be a witness for her?
at the time I didn't consider her to be physically assaulted. so I didn't speak up when she was asking people if they witnessed her assault.

then after the fake punch thrower left, the driver asked if she wanted to speak with security and she said no. so she didn't escalate her complaint.

I guess it was her tone that kept me from supporting her a bit more. when she wasn't hit and asked if we saw that assault, it came off Karen like. fair or not.

thinking about it now, I'm looking at it a bit differently.
when the fist started to move you'd have to assume you were about to be hit.
actual contact or no, it's still a threat to your safety. In the instant I was thinking she wasn't touched or threatened with violence so it wasn't assault. It was an argument that ended with the fake punch.

I would assume you wouldn't be charged if you decked the person as how would you know they were going to stop their fist?

if anyone's curious. the fake puncher was a sketchy, ratty,maskless youth who sat next to someone and was going to light up a smoke, and the other lady very loudly and strongly told her to get away from her and to not smoke on the train.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 03-02-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:41 AM   #5712
jayswin

Exp:

Yeah, that's more clear now. So she calmed down and didn't want to pursue anything.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #5713
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, that's more clear now. So she calmed down and didn't want to pursue anything.
mostly I posted about it as I wanted opionions if the fake punch could be looked at as assault. I have/had no idea.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:22 AM   #5714
81MC
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would say so.

Clearly they were unknown to each other, and a fake punch is still a threat.

Way outside the law, but I would have no problem at all with a ‘street Justice’ police force that would boot#### someone for throwing a punch at a woman for not accepting them smoking on public transit.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:15 PM   #5715
jayswin

Exp:

Speaking of street police, does anyone remember that vigilante group that came to Calgary in the early 2000's when we started having serious trouble with those Asian gangs? I remember some clown in a red hat or something, some world wide group that comes in and roughs people up.

I remember thinking it was so bizarre at the time. It had angels in the name, maybe?
Old 03-02-2021, 01:23 PM   #5716
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

A fake punch is at least a threat of physical harm, no? That how I’d view it at least.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #5717
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Speaking of street police, does anyone remember that vigilante group that came to Calgary in the early 2000's when we started having serious trouble with those Asian gangs? I remember some clown in a red hat or something, some world wide group that comes in and roughs people up.

I remember thinking it was so bizarre at the time. It had angels in the name, maybe?
Guardian Angels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardian_Angels
Old 03-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #5718
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
There aren't many written word sex scenes that are burned into my memory, but that's one I'll never forget.
I remember The Happy Hooker "relieving" her sister's German Shepherd.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #5719
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I remember The Happy Hooker "relieving" her sister's German Shepherd.
I sure wouldn't want to do that, but honestly, it's sort of a nice gesture that really isn't hurting anyone or anything.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #5720
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Random Thought Thread

It’s hard to believe, but this might be an improvement over the bear-love stuff.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote