Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 10:49 PM   #10881
Bankai
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well it’s all the gyms as you’ve pointed out, but it’s also the restaurants and basically the entire hospitality and tourism sector. Restaurants are absolutely struggling right now. They’re limited to smaller numbers and they’re also dealing with reduced hours and limits on who can be there in the first place.

There’s a weird thing in this thread where people seem to assume that because these businesses are open in some capacity that it’s business as usual and they just start printing money. It’s absolutely devastating for these people. Not only do they have to struggle to keep the business itself, but a lot of small businesses are forced to give personal guarantees and that means when that business goes under they lose everything.

So yeah, it’s great that they’re not completely shuttered (which would be ludicrous under these circumstances), but it’s hardly ideal. People are only supposed to be there with family members or two contacts if they live alone, for reduced hours and reduced capacity. After a year of being open about 50% of the time and at a reduced capacity for the half they were even open. They’re absolutely getting crushed.
Exactly this.

There are lots of small businesses crushed.

Mine is one of them.

I have a restaurant located in a University campus. Nearly ZERO foot traffic now. I have lost 98% of my revenue even though I am "open." Hard to keep going when this has been my income source for almost exactly a year now.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:16 AM   #10882
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Hmm...I've looked at a few different articles and still can't figure out exactly what they mean by that, it's confusing. I just assumed they meant only yoga & lighter fitness workouts like that are open.

It's the "low intensity" workout bit that's throwing me. Like can someone hit the bench press and try to do their max? That just doesn't feel like low intensity to me, but yeah maybe that's just referring to cardio? I guess I'll have to call the gym this week and see what they're saying.
It is extremely confusing. No "bodybuilding/heavyweight lifting", but can do "light weightlifting". What's the difference, and how is that enforced?

I think it's just a way to limit crossfit/athletic based activities in a multi-person setting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 07:34 AM   #10883
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trying to split hairs between light weightlifting, and just weightlifting is so on brand for this government.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #10884
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
What small businesses (besides boutique gyms) are getting crushed? You've said this before and it's confusing, because any business I have gone too (from breweries to bike stores to hobby shops) are open for business at a reduced capacity.
Just a window into the impact in the hospitality and tourism sector right now. My wife and I own and operate a bed and breakfast in Calgary. We have been allowed to stay open through the entire pandemic, but our business has been crushed by the lack of travel in general. Our general spread of business was traditionally weighted to be ~60% european, 15% american 20% canadian with the rest from other countries.

With the current health restrictions to travel and general reluctance to travel our business has been down 90-95% since march of last year. Our current summer bookings are still way down from normal, with some hopeful people banking on being allowed to travel by summer, but will likely cancel as well in the next couple of months.

There are plenty of other businesses with major downturns in revenue, despite being allowed to stay open through the restrictions.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Maccalus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:43 AM   #10885
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What small businesses (besides boutique gyms) are getting crushed? You've said this before and it's confusing, because any business I have gone too (from breweries to bike stores to hobby shops) are open for business at a reduced capacity.
What an ignorant post, do you think ANY business model works with an "operating at a reduced capacity mentality"? Look outside your own selfish bubble for a minute. Anything travel or transportation related such as body shops, car dealers and mechanics, the entire tourism and hospitality industry. Catering companies, Gyms, Dance Studios, the list goes on. Then look at the spin off businesses; dry cleaners, gas stations, taxi/ car services to name just a few. Commercial real estate big and small.

Also the habits which have been created in the last year will be the nail in the coffin for so many. Brick and Mortar retail was barely surviving pre 2020, the further online shopping push will be the final nail in the coffin for many. Impulse purchasing is not nearly as prevalent with curbside pickup or online ordering. Friend owns a stitching and embroidery business, virtually nothing in the last year, no team apparel, no uniforms, no cooperate swag, just.... masks.

I can't believe this still needs to be spelled out for some people.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 03-02-2021 at 10:50 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #10886
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well it’s all the gyms as you’ve pointed out, but it’s also the restaurants and basically the entire hospitality and tourism sector. Restaurants are absolutely struggling right now. They’re limited to smaller numbers and they’re also dealing with reduced hours and limits on who can be there in the first place.

There’s a weird thing in this thread where people seem to assume that because these businesses are open in some capacity that it’s business as usual and they just start printing money. It’s absolutely devastating for these people. Not only do they have to struggle to keep the business itself, but a lot of small businesses are forced to give personal guarantees and that means when that business goes under they lose everything.

So yeah, it’s great that they’re not completely shuttered (which would be ludicrous under these circumstances), but it’s hardly ideal. People are only supposed to be there with family members or two contacts if they live alone, for reduced hours and reduced capacity. After a year of being open about 50% of the time and at a reduced capacity for the half they were even open. They’re absolutely getting crushed.
To add to this, over 1.2 million Canadians work in restaurants, and restaurant workers account for about 7% of the Canadian workforce.

People also need to appreciate how income works. Reducing income by X percentage is devastating, as restaurants have extremely high fixed costs.

Canada's GDP contracted by 5.1% last year, which was the worst year on record, with the second worse year being 3.2% (1982):

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/prel...cord-1.5287489

Now keep in mind this record drop is after the obscene amount of federal spending and a 381.6 billion dollar deficit. $226 billion of this was pandemic relief spending. Adjusted for inflation the previous record deficit was about $80 billion dollars.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:49 AM   #10887
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
It is extremely confusing. No "bodybuilding/heavyweight lifting", but can do "light weightlifting". What's the difference, and how is that enforced?
Yeah exactly. Like if a person picks up a 15 lbs weight they're fine, but if they pick up anything over 30 lbs a siren goes off and they get swarmed by staff like Costanza trying to steal a book at Brentano's? I don't really get it.

Just got an email saying my gym opens on March 4th for "low intensity workouts", I'll just call them and figure out exactly what the definition of a low intensity workout is.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:03 AM   #10888
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Wasn't sure if this was best in the AB Politics or Covid thread, but given the discussion here, it probably fits in.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1366763976822988803
Old 03-02-2021, 11:12 AM   #10889
stazzy33
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
What an ignorant post, do you think ANY business model works with an "operating at a reduced capacity mentality"? Look outside your own selfish bubble for a minute. Anything travel or transportation related such as body shops, car dealers and mechanics, the entire tourism and hospitality industry. Catering companies, Gyms, Dance Studios, the list goes on. Then look at the spin off businesses; dry cleaners, gas stations, taxi/ car services to name just a few. Commercial real estate big and small.

Also the habits which have been created in the last year will be the nail in the coffin for so many. Brick and Mortar retail was barely surviving pre 2020, the further online shopping push will be the final nail in the coffin for many. Impulse purchasing is not nearly as prevalent with curbside pickup or online ordering. Friend owns a stitching and embroidery business, virtually nothing in the last year, no team apparel, no uniforms, no cooperate swag, just.... masks.

I can't believe this still needs to be spelled out for some people.
Lol, chill out bud. It was a genuine question that has led to some very thoughtful replies and discourse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 12:39 PM   #10890
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tler-1.5931510

As spring break starts in Quebec on Monday, some residents are flying to ski resorts in B.C., despite health recommendations against interprovincial travel due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Both governments in Quebec and B.C. have urged people to avoid all non-essential travel at this point in the pandemic.

"They said stay within Canada as much as you can. But there's nothing else to do in Quebec, so we are here to enjoy the snow," said one traveller.

"Here the restaurants are open ... compared to Montreal, the restaurants are still closed," said another.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #10891
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tler-1.5931510

As spring break starts in Quebec on Monday, some residents are flying to ski resorts in B.C., despite health recommendations against interprovincial travel due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Both governments in Quebec and B.C. have urged people to avoid all non-essential travel at this point in the pandemic.

"They said stay within Canada as much as you can. But there's nothing else to do in Quebec, so we are here to enjoy the snow," said one traveller.

"Here the restaurants are open ... compared to Montreal, the restaurants are still closed," said another.
Literally the only eastern province with reasonable skiing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 02:43 PM   #10892
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mission Accomplished (tm)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1366838417594732548
Old 03-02-2021, 03:47 PM   #10893
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I guess that Ice Storm didn't kill enough of them
Old 03-02-2021, 03:55 PM   #10894
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya that's gonna end well.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:14 PM   #10895
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
I guess that Ice Storm didn't kill enough of them
Pine beetles are better for the planet than these scrubs.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:30 PM   #10896
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Clueless response.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:45 PM   #10897
stazzy33
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Clueless response.
Lol, thanks for coming out Petey. Another quality post!
Old 03-02-2021, 05:03 PM   #10898
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, what are small businesses complaining about?!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sta...2020-1.5933072
Old 03-02-2021, 05:33 PM   #10899
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

But do you want to address all the other replies, though?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #10900
stazzy33
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
But do you want to address all the other replies, though?
What kind of response do you want?

I asked a question and people responded with their stories of how the pandemic has affected their business. I appreciate them taking the time to respond and thanked their posts.

I have a small group of family and friends none of which have, luckily, been financially impacted by the pandemic. I also don't have anyone in my circle that owns or runs a small business. Since the beginning of this, my gf and I have been respectful of the rules and regulations set out by our government and stay home, in our bubble, 99% of the time. When we do get food we either pick it up or order take out. Most restaurants we frequent appear just as busy as they were prepandemic just in a different way. When we order groceries we purchase them for curbside pick up. When I buy an item from a retailer I either have it delivered or use curbside pick up as well. We always support local where and when we can.

At the same time, from my bubble it is hard to see the business like Bankai's who are in a university or Maacalus's BnB. I am several years removed from my uni days and would stay with my folks if I ever went to Calgary. That's why I asked the question, because from my personal bubble all the businesses that I interact with appear to be doing okay.

This is where the government needs to step in and help the businesses that are struggling. I fully support them doing what is required to keep businesses afloat during these tough times. I am very thankful to be employed in a stable job and have not lost sight of that.

But of course there are always people like Quality Post Petey and Derek who are so enraged by me asking a question that they either explode (Derek) or make some snide remark (QPP). It's what makes a this place so toxic.

I fully expect to get flamed for this post too, but there's my thought process, so flame away.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread