Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 03-02-2021, 12:13 AM   #4981
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Timun - point to the area on this ball where soccer hurt you!

Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 12:22 AM   #4982
timun
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Insufferable soccer fans are what make me hate it more than anything.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:40 AM   #4983
Harry Lime
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not even a real soccer fan. I played it as a kid. But naming it the official sport grows an industry where none exists at the moment, at least at any real scale. All of the universities and colleges have a team, but with no support they are a fringe attraction even at their own institutions, because as mentioned above, there is no 'stake'. That has to be grown. There is a lot of evidence that there is a lot of money to be made in soccer, and it is the job of the provincial government to nurture any potential revenue for Alberta.

You are simply not getting any more money out of the Stampede. How exactly could the provincial government support it more than they already do, or make more money by making it 'official'.

There is potential here that is being ignored on doubling the impact of what is garnered from a continuing event like the Stampede, in support of another sport that is very undersupported in this province.

Forget soccer fans. Soccer is money.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:54 AM   #4984
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Forget soccer fans. Soccer is money.
Quoted for truth.

Alberta has seen record crowds at Commonwealth during the 2007 U17 World Cup and the 2015 Women's World Cup. Then there is maybe the 2026 World Cup in Alberta as well.

Hell, there was a huge crowd for Cardiff City vs. Ronaldo-owned Real Valladolid in 2019.

And even in Calgary, anyone who didn't attend a Cavalry game is completely missing out. Unbelievable crowds, especially when Calvary turfed Vancouver from the Canadian Championship. If Cavalry gets a chance to play in the CONCACAF Champions League, it's going to explode.

Outside of hockey, soccer is pure money in this province for people of all ages. And I can't see how anything else is close.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:03 AM   #4985
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
ive played a lot of sports in my day, but i cant say ive ever played rodeo
I've never played the 100m sprint.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:41 AM   #4986
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Quoted for truth.

Alberta has seen record crowds at Commonwealth during the 2007 U17 World Cup and the 2015 Women's World Cup. Then there is maybe the 2026 World Cup in Alberta as well.

Hell, there was a huge crowd for Cardiff City vs. Ronaldo-owned Real Valladolid in 2019.

And even in Calgary, anyone who didn't attend a Cavalry game is completely missing out. Unbelievable crowds, especially when Calvary turfed Vancouver from the Canadian Championship. If Cavalry gets a chance to play in the CONCACAF Champions League, it's going to explode.

Outside of hockey, soccer is pure money in this province for people of all ages. And I can't see how anything else is close.
It’s all about the money folks! Bad idea is bad just admit it.

Naming a “provincial sport” is nothing more than just symbolic nonsense anyway. If you think for a second that by naming soccer a provincial sport is going to open the gates of massive funding and interest you’re absolutely delusional.

I absolutely think it can draw crowds and there is a level of interest for sure. I support what the Cavalry have done and I would absolutely consider watching international friendlies etc... but is it a sport that identifies with Alberta? Clear and obvious no.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:15 AM   #4987
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
It’s all about the money folks! Bad idea is bad just admit it.

Nope. Rodeo is worse. Football makes more sense for the reasons I mentioned, and is generally a much more palpable idea.

How about we all just agree this whole exercise of naming a provincial sport is a terrible waste of time and money?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 08:56 AM   #4988
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I've never played the 100m sprint.
yeah but i can walk into any field or sidewalk and do a 100m sprint

where would i even go to participate in my provinces official sport? i have no idea. do you just show up and they let you hop on? do you have to bring your own horse? is there a stew hendry/henry viney dual rodeo setup to handle extra capacity? i have lived here my life and have no idea. maybe its just simple ignorance but i could tell you where a million golf/soccer/hockey/football/baseball/curling/badminton/rock climbing places are, but i truly have no idea where you go to even start rodeo
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:01 AM   #4989
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

is cow-tipping still a sport?
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:59 AM   #4990
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
yeah but i can walk into any field or sidewalk and do a 100m sprint

where would i even go to participate in my provinces official sport? i have no idea. do you just show up and they let you hop on? do you have to bring your own horse? is there a stew hendry/henry viney dual rodeo setup to handle extra capacity? i have lived here my life and have no idea. maybe its just simple ignorance but i could tell you where a million golf/soccer/hockey/football/baseball/curling/badminton/rock climbing places are, but i truly have no idea where you go to even start rodeo
It's very Albertan to make our "official sport" one that is inaccessible to 99.9% of the electorate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:01 AM   #4991
Cappy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
is cow-tipping still a sport?
It's about as real as BASEketball

I'm more intrigued about pack burro racing. Can we just copy that?
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #4992
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
"Actual numbers" that I was going off of from memory, which showed that golf had the highest participation: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...060/s5-eng.htm

Admittedly that's nationwide, not just Alberta. Sue me.

Either way the numbers are irrelevant. Soccer is not culturally or historically relevant to this province. Rodeo is. Deal with it.
My point is not to advocate for soccer being our provincial sport, but rather to point out that the basis for making rodeo our provincial sport is ridiculously weak.

Think about the mindshare of hockey in Canadians and how we justify that as a national passtime. Now consider the mindshare of rodeo across the people who live in Alberta. Outside of Stampede, it's unlikely the majority of Albertans actually give two s--ts about rodeo.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:32 PM   #4993
edslunch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_sports

Some US states have them. Looks like we have stiff competition in the rodeo realm with 3 states in play. Mildly amused New Hampshire has skiing, as opposed to, I dunno, Colorado? But maybe they already locked in with Pack Burrow racing.

New Hampshire has some good skiing. 19 resorts.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:37 PM   #4994
Monahammer
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Soccer isn't at all historically relevant to the province!! Except that it was likely the first team game or organized sport played within the province.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey...2Dcity%20games.

pegs the first hockey game in AB around 1895.

https://albertasoccer.com/about/hist...am%20in%201895.

There was already a soccer club formed in Calgary in 1888, with leagues and expansion occurring through the 1890s.

I'm not soccer fan, but to give really any sport in the province historical significance over Soccer is just foolish and lacking any actual historical evidence or impact.

The first major rodeo, by the way, wasn't until 1902 in Raymond Alberta. https://amainsider.com/beginners-gui...boy%20contests.

Soccer is the most historical sport in the province, outside of Hoop + Arrow game played historically by the Blackfoot nation. That should probably be our provincial sport if we are relying on history.
Monahammer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 12:39 PM   #4995
Monahammer
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Obviously this is all a stupid distraction. But that only took me ~5 minutes to google. Some of you like to bloviate without any actual facts eh??
Old 03-02-2021, 01:33 PM   #4996
timun
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
My point is not to advocate for soccer being our provincial sport, but rather to point out that the basis for making rodeo our provincial sport is ridiculously weak.

Think about the mindshare of hockey in Canadians and how we justify that as a national passtime. Now consider the mindshare of rodeo across the people who live in Alberta. Outside of Stampede, it's unlikely the majority of Albertans actually give two s--ts about rodeo.
You're only considering the rate of participation as a basis. An official sport isn't just about which one gets the most participation, or which one has the highest "mindshare", it's about historical and cultural significance. I can't name any sport more quintessentially, intrinsically linked to Alberta than rodeo.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #4997
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You're only considering the rate of participation as a basis. An official sport isn't just about which one gets the most participation, or which one has the highest "mindshare", it's about historical and cultural significance. I can't name any sport more quintessentially, intrinsically linked to Alberta than rodeo.
So let's announce to the world that we're old school rednecks and durn proud of it?
A "sport" where there is common animal abuse shouldn't be lauded as our official provincial sport.

Sure it has historical significance and you can celebrate that, but it's less relevant every day.

your new arena in Calgary might as well be shaped like a hat, too.

we don't need an official sport, but if they want one how about Lacrosse ?

Besides, when I hear the Calgary Stampede mentioned, I think drunk party more than I think rodeo.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #4998
Roughneck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let's make e-Sports our provincial sport and get in on the action.

Rodeo Simulator will replace the Stampede eventually.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:54 PM   #4999
Monahammer
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Is the rodeo culturally significant to the majority of Albertans since, say, 1980?

I would say not. Historically speaking I doubt there was ever a time when more people watched or participated in Rodeo events than other team sports previously mentioned here. Also, geographically, the rodeo is much more prominent in southern alberta.

Do you consider Buffalo herding/jumping to be a part of Rodeo? Then you could argue a longer history in the region... but I just dont see it as there is no real parallel in current rodeo sports.

I am trying to get to this point: What exactly are you basing the historical and cultural tie to rodeo in the province off of?
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 01:55 PM   #5000
timun
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
So let's announce to the world that we're old school rednecks and durn proud of it?
A "sport" where there is common animal abuse shouldn't be lauded as our official provincial sport.

Tags
pleatedkhakis , whywouldthendpdothis