Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2021, 10:06 AM   #181
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sliver you would have been helpful when all the dogs had to be shot in the chernobyl area.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #182
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
In a perfect world this is great. Tell me your next step when the neighbour just says, 'mind your fataing business' and closes the door in your face.
Then you assume he must have gone through some pretty sh***y stuff in his life to have that attitude. In that case I would back off and leave him alone, hoping he will attend to the matter sooner rather than later. You have nothing to lose by trying to be a good neighbor, and everything to gain.

We had a mailman once that had the worst attitude possible. Even the local dogs hated him. When i would say, "Hope you are having a nice day", he would simply ignore me with a "hmff". I was bound and bent to turn him around, by greeting him each day with a smile and friendly greeting, and telling him the odd joke like, "Old mailmen never die... they just lose their zip". After a long period of time his attitude changed completely, and he would offer a friendly word each day.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:23 AM   #183
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
When you read so many conflicts between neighbours online it always makes me so happy that I've always had great neighbours, where the relationship is always friendly and normal. Especially being a laid back, friendly person, I just despise conflict and negative feelings towards others and certainly don't want that right outside my house.

Even if you don't see them a lot, it means a lot for my well being to just walk outside, see them and go "oh hey! how's it going!" with a smile and good feelings, rather than a darker or non existent transaction. Our society is getting cold enough between strangers, it's at least nice to like your neighbours.
I'm with you on this. I've got a great relationship with both my current neighbors. I helped build both sides of my fence with them, and while we were kinda shooting the shirt doing it, we joked about the bad neighbors thing, and I told them specifically that I'm totally open to conversation if they do find something off in the future that they wanted to talk to me about. We've kept a real cordial relationship since the beginning.

Only incident I can even think of was the one time I was gaming at around midnight, and my bonus room is above my garage, while my one neighbor's master bedroom is above his, so he kind of could hear faint rumbling from me having my system too loud. Guy just texted me, I apologized, and now I'm cognizant of making sure to keep it quieter in the evenings, knowing how flimsy our houses are for noise.

I just find taking a potential solvable incident the OP is outlining to defcon 1 right away by involving bylaw when it could potentially be diffused by talking about it might not be the best way to go.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 11:25 AM   #184
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
Then you assume he must have gone through some pretty sh***y stuff in his life to have that attitude. In that case I would back off and leave him alone, hoping he will attend to the matter sooner rather than later. You have nothing to lose by trying to be a good neighbor, and everything to gain.

We had a mailman once that had the worst attitude possible. Even the local dogs hated him. When i would say, "Hope you are having a nice day", he would simply ignore me with a "hmff". I was bound and bent to turn him around, by greeting him each day with a smile and friendly greeting, and telling him the odd joke like, "Old mailmen never die... they just lose their zip". After a long period of time his attitude changed completely, and he would offer a friendly word each day.
I wish i had your attitude.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:26 AM   #185
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The issue with talking to a neighbour first before reporting them, is that they will instantly know who reported them.

There's no single way to deal with all neighbours. As great as it would be to be able to resolve all issues via a friendly conversation, that's not the way it always works. Some people are just awful and petty people. All this talk about "being a man" is also very misplaced. What does that mean? If you have an unreasonable neighbour you have some duty to escalate things with them? Engage them in martial combat? Resolve things with a karate fight? A duel?

You have to use your own judgment, as you do with any situation. If you think the neighbour will respond positively to reasonable requests, then do so. Otherwise why make things worse by getting yourself on the unreasonable person's radar? You have a right to enjoy your property. You don't have an obligation to deal with nut jobs who are infringing on your right to enjoy your property. That's literally the government's job. In fact, a major reason for why they have laws and enforcement bodies is to avoid having citizens "resolve" matters on their own.

Sometimes major issues with neighbours are caused by laziness, inaction, or inadvertent infringement and alerting the neighbour or giving them a nudge is effective. A lot of the time, however, the type of person who is enough of a jerk to consistently disturb a neighbour is also the exact same type of person who is going to turn a reasonable complaint into a much larger issue. It's a bit of a self-selecting process.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #186
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Good point. I'd definitely be open to casting a wider net.
I think we should do the same thing with kids. Kid beats up another kid at school for no reason or is out there torturing animals, off to the euthanasia clinic!
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:59 AM   #187
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
When you read so many conflicts between neighbours online it always makes me so happy that I've always had great neighbours, where the relationship is always friendly and normal. Especially being a laid back, friendly person, I just despise conflict and negative feelings towards others and certainly don't want that right outside my house.

Even if you don't see them a lot, it means a lot for my well being to just walk outside, see them and go "oh hey! how's it going!" with a smile and good feelings, rather than a darker or non existent transaction. Our society is getting cold enough between strangers, it's at least nice to like your neighbours.
nm

Last edited by SportsJunky; 03-03-2021 at 12:37 PM.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote