Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-16-2024, 07:47 AM   #9241
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I watched that on the plane recently. Holy #### is that a depressing movie. It felt like they made some stuff up to make it sadder. Looked it up after andÖnope. ####ing brutal.
Literally had to remove some of the sadder parts of the true story to make it less sad.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 09:35 AM   #9242
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I took my boy to watch If on the weekend. I'm not sure what I expected, but i enjoyed it a lot. But I also couldn't stop crying either. The premise of B's mom from the start, kids growing up, reconnection of adults younger selves... I honestly don't know, but i cried like a baby i'd say for 50% of the movie.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 10:19 AM   #9243
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I saw Hot Tub Time Machine when it was released 10+ years ago. I didn't think too much of it at the time as I was a bit spoiled back then with so many good R-rated comedies coming out during that period. I feel like it got lost in the shuffle for me.

Watched it again this weekend and was howling throughout. It's completely unhinged and fully leans into what kind of movie it is.

We need more good, silly comedies.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 11:42 AM   #9244
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Monkey Man had a decent film hiding in there somewhere but it certainly didn’t come through with the final product. A better editor and camerawork not designed to induce vomiting would have helped tremendously. A decent first attempt for Dev Patel but there’s nowhere to go but up from here. Hard to recommend watching it even for free
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 12:19 PM   #9245
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Monkey Man had a decent film hiding in there somewhere but it certainly didnít come through with the final product. A better editor and camerawork not designed to induce vomiting would have helped tremendously. A decent first attempt for Dev Patel but thereís nowhere to go but up from here. Hard to recommend watching it even for free
I was actually looking at this one. Seems like favorable reviews but I've been burned by RT before.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 12:26 PM   #9246
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Bad Boys 4 is a movie that I saw. The scene with Reggie was surprising and entertaining. It was otherwise not a great movie. I had no idea will smiths character had a son. So that was quite the twist since I don’t remember ever watching bad boys 3.

I wanted to see furiosa but was outvoted. Boourns.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 12:29 PM   #9247
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Bad Boys 4 is a movie that I saw. The scene with Reggie was surprising and entertaining. It was otherwise not a great movie. I had no idea will smiths character had a son. So that was quite the twist since I donít remember ever watching bad boys 3.

I wanted to see furiosa but was outvoted. Boourns.
Sounds like someone needs their voting privileges revoked. That being said I'm assuming that voter is also in charge of who has voting privileges and how much weight each vote receives....
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 12:50 PM   #9248
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I was actually looking at this one. Seems like favorable reviews but I've been burned by RT before.
I guess it’s not outright bad but it’s not a tight film, I didn’t enjoy it much. Meanders a bit for my liking. The combat cam ruined the fight scenes for me. Also anyone who says it’s like John Wick should be tested for lead paint poisoning. There is a revenge element but that’s it so if every film that ever involved revenge is like John wick then this one is too. True Grit? Just like John Wick! It was a stupidly lazy way for people to try and say go see it.

It’s also very heavy handed with its commentary regarding India and politics etc so maybe if I cared more about that the film would have hit a bit harder. I dunno give it a shot and see if I’m crazy cause apparently boring ass Killers of the Flower Moon is a masterpiece I thought was mediocre at best too Į\_(ツ)_/Į
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 02:55 PM   #9249
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I think Furiosa was better than Fury Road. Does that mean I'm crazy?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 04:16 PM   #9250
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well I think Furiosa was better than Fury Road. Does that mean I'm crazy?
I still give a slight edge to Fury Road, but Furiosa is an outstanding film in its own right. George Miller never disappoints.

Unfortunately it was a flop at the box office though, which doesnít bode well for Millersís next planned film in the series, The Wasteland, which is supposed to focus on Maxís adventures pre-Fury Road. I really hope he gets to make it. Box office numbers aside, these films are incredibly entertaining and well made.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 05:22 PM   #9251
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I watched Boy Kills World over the weekend. It's a fun ride if you enjoy stylized action and violence (I do). John Wick x10 with no subtly.

Spoiler!
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 05:26 PM   #9252
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched "What You Wish For" last night. Was pretty impressed it was a thriller/horror.

It was almost as if Infinity Pool / Fresh and The Menu had a baby together.

8/10.
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 05:29 PM   #9253
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the other end of the horror spectrum, don't watch Tarot. Strongly in the collection of "Worst movies I've ever scene". Even taking into account that most horror movies are "bad".

Last edited by nik-; 06-17-2024 at 05:39 PM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 11:01 AM   #9254
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I still give a slight edge to Fury Road, but Furiosa is an outstanding film in its own right. George Miller never disappoints.

Unfortunately it was a flop at the box office though, which doesnít bode well for Millersís next planned film in the series, The Wasteland, which is supposed to focus on Maxís adventures pre-Fury Road. I really hope he gets to make it. Box office numbers aside, these films are incredibly entertaining and well made.
Not sure why it was a flop as it has everything you want in a summer movie. Cool stunts/special effects, solid acting, great action, solid flick. Maybe they didn't do a great job advertising? My teenage boys don't really know Mad Max but my 15 year old loved this movie. Maybe the issue is that not enough teens and young adults know the franchise?
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2024, 12:10 PM   #9255
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I went to see Furiosa more than once, loved it. Have also been trying to figure out why it didn't pull more money, the only explanation I've heard that is plausible is that the Mad Max character himself wasn't in the film. Except for a 10 second clip where he was tied in and played by a stuntman.

I guess that missing element was enough to not hook people in. The trailers and title made in clear that it was a Furiosa movie and we saw Anya Taylor Joy, maybe the incels out there are to blame.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 01:24 PM   #9256
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I find by the time I get around to going to see a movie its already streaming on a service I have, so why spend $50 when its essentially free. Which is too bad, I used to go to the movies monthly, covid really killed it.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 12:57 AM   #9257
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Furiosa was the best movie I've seen this year not named Dune 2. Just a great cinema experience. Enjoyed how it enhanced the Fury Road universe with some new characters and lore. Wasn't the non stop rush of Fury Road, taking place over a much longer time frame, but I thought the structure of 5 stories worked well for the pacing. Sad the box office is low and we won't see more. The Mad Max movies were never popular IPs with Thunderdome being a bomb and Fury Road needing good reviews and word of mouth to make a modest profit. 10/10

Here are more reviews:

Argyle: There was potential for a good movie here with a solid cast, fun action, and some humor but the story just falls apart into a total mess. Just filled with spy cliches and twist after twist. Can't say I wasn't entertained at times but this is just dumb. 5/10

Barbie: Lots of fun and I enjoyed the colourful sets and general silliness of the premise. More thought provoking than expected with philosophical themes and a lot to say about feminism. Did feel at times like a shorter premise stretched. Didn't see the point in the Will Ferrell character other than one joke. 9/10

Blackberry: Great movie with lots of laughs and an interesting tech industry story. Like that you can tell it is a Canadian movie but it doesn't rely on hammering any stereotypes. Howerton as Balsillie was awesome. Left me wanting more about his NHL dealings. 9/10
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 01:49 AM   #9258
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even more reviews:

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One: Worth watching just for the spectacular action. That motorcycle scene was amazing and there are other great action scenes too. The story is just okay. Brought up some old characters I had to try to remember and the villains powers are whatever the plot demands. 8/10

Oppenheimer: How did a 3 hour non linear dialog heavy science biopic make a billion dollars? Excellent movie telling an interesting story with great acting but slowly paced and I needed an intermission. Makes good use of Nolan's signature playing with time resulting in a fulfilling ending with everything tying together. 9/10

Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken: Thought for a minute this was going to be a Skrek style Dreamworks film poking fun at Disney princess tropes but is actually just a bad Disney rip off. Will give it a few points because my daughter really liked it so probably wasn't geared at my demographic. 4/10

TMNT: Mutant Mayhem: A fun take on the turtles with some great comic book style animation. The dialog felt geared at teenagers which makes sense but I didn't get a lot of the humor. Also relied too much on making pop culture references and thinking they were jokes. 7/10
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 06:46 AM   #9259
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

On Furiosa's lack of success, personally I just haven't really been in the mood for any sequels in quite a while, and with the world being what it is, I also haven't really been in the mood for violent (or grim) films in quite a while.

Maybe I'm not alone in this. I also ended up skipping Dune 2 and the new Planet of the Apes for the same reason, even though I was kind of interested in all three films. The right mood for those films was just never there. (Also, ticket prices.)

I kinda feel Hollywood isn't doing a good job at delivering escapism right now.

Last edited by Itse; 06-22-2024 at 06:50 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 06:51 AM   #9260
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

I read somewhere that Fury Road didn't do great at the box office either.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post: