Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2024, 02:34 PM   #2281
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I see no problem with having a sick ass car in your living room. I've had cars where I'll just sit in my garage staring at them. I think vehicles are more interesting as art pieces than virtually any other piece of art or sculpture in existence. I get that it's absolutely ostentatious, but people do way worse and spend way more on art a lot dumber and less enjoyable to admire than this.
Personally, my issue is not with the display (because I agree, there are certainly cars that are on the level of fine art)...it's the fact that the car is basically stuck there for the long term and can't be driven. That's kind of sad for a car. I prefer rich guys like Leno who actually drive their collection and bring them out for the community to enjoy.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 02:58 PM   #2282
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Personally, my issue is not with the display (because I agree, there are certainly cars that are on the level of fine art)...it's the fact that the car is basically stuck there for the long term and can't be driven. That's kind of sad for a car. I prefer rich guys like Leno who actually drive their collection and bring them out for the community to enjoy.
It depends how wide the hallways are. You could drive it around the apartment.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 03:32 PM   #2283
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
No one is driving 356's at this point. Stuck in a building or not.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 03:47 PM   #2284
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
No one is driving 356's at this point. Stuck in a building or not.
Poppycock! I was in a club drive with two of them just last weekend. Perhaps not Speedster value, but at least one of them was quite a prize.

I'm sure this is one car out of dozens for this guy, but still a shame to just see it stuck like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 03:48 PM   #2285
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two 356's or two kit 356's? lol
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 04:02 PM   #2286
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I see no problem with having a sick ass car in your living room. I've had cars where I'll just sit in my garage staring at them. I think vehicles are more interesting as art pieces than virtually any other piece of art or sculpture in existence. I get that it's absolutely ostentatious, but people do way worse and spend way more on art a lot dumber and less enjoyable to admire than this.
I think it's a beautiful piece of art for a lot of reasons. Not only the design but also the fact it captures what pop art and styling were at the time it was made.

It's just seems crazy to me to put something like a car, that can't really be later removed, right in the middle of your living room. I'm also not a billionaire type. Maybe my definition of "can't be removed" includes not spending ridiculous amounts of money. I'm sure the car could be disassembled and removed at any point.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 04:03 PM   #2287
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was some haughty architect in the US who put a Bugatti Veyron on his wall as a static display. Seems like a waste of a rare and interesting automobile.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 04:05 PM   #2288
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Two 356's or two kit 356's? lol
Ha, genuine of course. I even took pictures!

Spoiler!

The white one is owned by a guy with one of the nicer classic car collections in the city. You've probably seen his Ferrari Dino, Countach or something else Italian at the summer Euro Classic car show. I think he'd slap you if you accused him of driving a kit car.

The red one, the owner has had since the 80s and spent the last 5 years restoring it mostly by himself. I drove behind him for an hour or so...I was expecting it to be really slow, but they were both actually pretty quick.

356s aren't necessarily unobtanium. The values seem to be all over the place, but I often see prices that are not that different from nice air cooled 911s.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 04:10 PM   #2289
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah... While there are certain 356 variants that are big money, the majority of the cars are closer in value to high end SUVs... Certainly not too precious or valuable to never risk being - gasp - driven and enjoyed
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 06:18 PM   #2290
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I'd be shocked if that unit isn't owned by an international investor who will spend a small fraction of their time actually in the unit. It's possible a local real estate mogul type owns it?
Well it has to at least be a Canadian citizen or PR since true international investors can't buy in Canadian.
But where they made their money could certainly be international. Who knows.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 08:19 PM   #2291
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://financialpost.com/real-estat...-housing-costs

Nearly 40% of new Canadians are considering moving due to housing costs

Alberta the preferred destination among those who want to move but stay in Canada

Thirty-nine per cent of immigrants who have arrived in Canada within the past 10 years are thinking of relocating, with 25 per cent citing the cost of housing as the culprit.

According to the poll, 28 per cent of Canadians overall are considering leaving the province that they reside in due to soaring housing costs. Most live in either Ontario (39 per cent) or British Columbia (36 per cent), where high housing costs have persisted for longer compared to other regions.

Among those who want to move but stay in Canada, the poll found the majority — 18 per cent — said they would like to relocate to Alberta.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 09:50 PM   #2292
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

And if you can't handle the housing costs here, I suppose Albertans will have to move to....... New Brunswick?
Old 07-07-2024, 10:05 PM   #2293
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
And if you can't handle the housing costs here, I suppose Albertans will have to move to....... New Brunswick?

You'd move to Saskatchewan.. and once that's too expensive, Manitoba.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 10:07 PM   #2294
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

That seems like a useless poll given that it doesn’t have a history of how these numbers have changed.

Also the headline is a little misleading in that 30% of all Canadians and 40% of Canadians that have been here less than 10 years are considering moving out of province so the gap isn’t that significant between newcomers and long term. Also 10 years seems like a long time if you are trying to measure challenges with post covid immigration.

Here’s a link to the whole survey.

https://angusreid.org/canada-interpr...s-immigration/

But overall without historical datapoints to compare to we have no idea if these numbers are meaningful.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 04:10 AM   #2295
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The infamous Bridgeland home has gotten another major price cut of nearly $400K. I guess this is an example of a house that's so targeted to the original owner's taste that there's practically no other buyer in Calgary for it.

accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 09:38 AM   #2296
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
The infamous Bridgeland home has gotten another major price cut of nearly $400K. I guess this is an example of a house that's so targeted to the original owner's taste that there's practically no other buyer in Calgary for it.

Wandering around on google maps, that place sticks out like a sore thumb. Rest if the neighborhood seems pretty old in comparison, gonna take a long while to gentrify the area. Also funny that it looks to have been garbage day out when the google mapping vehicle came by, garbage bins all out on the road makes the area look klassy.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 11:32 AM   #2297
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Wandering around on google maps, that place sticks out like a sore thumb. Rest if the neighborhood seems pretty old in comparison, gonna take a long while to gentrify the area. Also funny that it looks to have been garbage day out when the google mapping vehicle came by, garbage bins all out on the road makes the area look klassy.
There's lots of modern monsters in the neighbourhood, just not on that street because it's an awkward location.

One street is one of the busiest in the neighbourhood, the other one is basically an alley.

I mean, look at that "lawn" and "yard", and find anything else in the city for over a million that looks as crappy. The retaining wall beside the driveway is already well on its way to falling over.

And then there is the problem of the house itself.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 11:51 AM   #2298
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Ya, that section of Drury Ave is the laneway for the Colgrove and Jamieson Ave houses so it's extra weird choice to build there with the fact that the front of this multimillion dollar house is at the end of a run of your neighbour's garages and garbage bins.

The first time I saw this house, I had just looked at a property a few places east on Colgrove. Then I went to drive around the back to check out the alley situation and as I kept going I was like "What the hell is this level of house doing in this specific spot? Who thought that was a good idea?"
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 04:28 PM   #2299
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I was like "What the hell is this level of house doing in this specific spot? Who thought that was a good idea?"
Hey, saving money on the lot helped them dump a lot more at the cheesy LED lighting throughout!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 04:40 PM   #2300
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

“Have you ever wanted to live inside your own personal Death Star? Do you want to spend 3 million dollars and still not be able to get laid? Look no further.”
https://www.polltab.com/bracket-poll/M40PBhc-NcXRZ
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post: