Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default 2017/18 Calgary Roughnecks Thread

Watching the season opener against the Knighthawks. Currently getting our asses handed to us, our D looks porous. The pre-season tilt against the Stealth was a decent game but I think Vancouver was rolling out a lot more prospects than we were.

Happy to see some new blood in the lineup, I've been thinking we were getting too veteran heavy in the last couple of seasons. I still think some of the poor results over the last few years needs to be pinned on Malawsky, but the Necks seem committed to him.

11-3 at the half, hope the boys come out with some jump for the second.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #2
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

What happened to NLL games on TSN? Is the league off TV again?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do Malawsky and Board continue to keep their jobs? They've destroyed a perennial contender.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hasn't been on TSN for a while now.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
jayswin

Exp:

So do they get televised anywhere, ever? I used to enjoy catching the odd game here and there to keep connected to the league.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #6
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
So do they get televised anywhere, ever? I used to enjoy catching the odd game here and there to keep connected to the league.
NLL has a streaming product, but it is US$30 a season. I also think they have a deal with CBS sports digital in the US. But yeah, with five TSN channels you would think they could make a deal to displace some of the poker coverage with Canada's national game.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #7
jayswin

Exp:

Do they think $30 a year to watch the NLL is a good way to grow their audience? It's not even that $30 is a lot of money, it's just that pretty much zero people who aren't fans are going to pay to watch it.

So literally their only casual/new viewers will be ones who buy tickets and come out to a game. Seems odd, like you, I can't believe they couldn't get some sort of minor deal to get at least some games on TSN or Sportsnet between their 10 channels combined.

WildGM, you have any insight into the TV side of things and what fell apart or why it isn't worth it? (I believe you were doing some of the broadcasts back in the day).
Old 12-10-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still do the broadcasts on NLLTV (first game next Friday).
I don't have a lot of insight into a TV deal or lack thereof.

I will say that I think the league has turned a corner when it comes to the management team they have in place. They have been really building out a team at the league head office, adding people with experience in the key areas: marketing, broadcasting, communications, etc.

The expansion to San Diego and Philly next season, and Edmonton likely not far behind - I feel that they are building up a solid foundation of teams that will make security a TV deal easier.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 12:01 AM   #9
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There's also a free game if the week plus all playoff games being streamed on the league website and on Twitter.
But yes, the lack of TV coverage is nonsense.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:09 PM   #10
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Much better showing tonight, although I'm not going to get too overconfident from beating the Stealth. Great games by Lowen (hat trick and some key loose balls) and Cattoni (hatty as well). Currier has a ton of potential, kid just drips raw talent. His goal from behind the net was filthy. Couple of small defensive lapses but much tighter than last week, and Frankie was in the zone with big saves when we needed them.
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #11
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to the Roughnecks game last night, and was reacquainted with how fun the live game is. My only issue is the atmosphere is completely forced at times. Having the PA announcer randomly yelling out GO NECKS GO or ROUGH or even commenting on the play takes away from the game, IMO.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #12
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of encouraging signs from last night
- Frank looked good apart from Schuss having his number all night long
- If the team can get that type of production from Loewen and Cattoni they will be fine. Cattoni was feeling it in the first quarter, but Loewen plays a more even, steady game.
- Bob Snider was killing it on the dot until he left. Dude can't buy a break. Harnett also left early in the first half so the team played the rest of the way down 2 men and it didn't impact them
- Currier is going to be an amazing player. Reminds me a ton of Karsen Leung but with even higher upside
- Dickson was the #1 star but still isn't playing like he can. Was having a hard time getting his shots through. Him, Dobbie, Digby and Berg are all not on top of their games right now - and yet the team is still 1-1.
- Tyson Bell doesn't get the credit he deserves for being an elite transition player. I would have given him the #1 star last night for his all around game. I love his aggression but his decision making has improved a ton.
- Mitch Wilde is a nasty nasty player
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #13
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hey WildGM

Was poking around online looking for some information and maybe you can shed some light on some things .

First- what happened to Mike Carnagie ? Seems a little odd for a one year change in Captain and no word on why he isn’t back and then for Scott to be released and picked up by the mamoth after playing in the home pre season game.

Second- any word on Carson? I am assuming he has retired due to the head injury two seasons ago.

Lastly do you have any thoughts on the 2 man full 2 min power play that seemed to generate nothing? It seems like Digby couldnt make or take a pass without botching it all night.
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:09 PM   #14
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I met some Roughnecks and Stealth players at the airport when we were there with the dogs this morning. They all seem to be dog people, which makes them good guys in my books.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #15
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carnegie - I don't know. There are often a lot of roster moves in the NLL with various "lists" used for different purposes. Sometimes the PUP is used when the player is unavailable due to work commitments. Keep in mind, these guys don't make a ton - so if there job demands them to commit more, it can put them in a bind. Last I knew he had a pretty good job at Stantec. I notice though that now he's listed on the Injured Reserve not PUP so perhaps he's actually hurt. I think they were looking for a leadership change. Not because of anything Mike did or didn't do - but the results just haven't been there.

As for Scott - I think he just didn't make the team on merit. And I think the team was looking to make changes on D as well. This is a team that has given up far too many goals the last couple of years. They simplified the system this year, to try and play to the strengths of the players - and want to push the transition game. They have a lot of guys who can generate chances off the break - Currier, Bell, McRae and even Manning (though he plays more conservatively now than when he first came into the league).

Karsen retired because of the concussion. He came back for that one playoff game but I know he was struggling still with symptons including having trouble sleeping. Again - these are guys that don't make a ton, so him not wanting to take a risk with his long term mental health is understandable. He's a very bright young man and I think he made a very smart decision. A great kid too - super humble and accomodatinng.

The 5 on 3s were disasters for both clubs last night. They just aren't clicking. Berg missing training camp means he's not up to speed. There were several plays last night where Dickson and him were just a touch out of sync. And I think that has affected Digby as well. These guys don't get to practice a lot so missing training camp is big. Anyways that lack of chemistry is what I believe hurt the 5 on 3.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 12-16-2017 at 04:25 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 01:55 PM   #16
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jeff Shattler with 8 points in his Rush debut. Always a big fan of his
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:11 PM   #17
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is not a good team, not sure what is wrong with Dickson and Dobbie. They look awful out there
Old 12-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #18
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a brutal game. You're right this isn't a good team. Since Evans left they just haven't had that same constant threat out there. Dickson is looking old and Dobbie disinterested.

Not a great start to the season, this is the least we've enjoyed the games since we got our tickets 5 years ago. The in-game entertainment was really lacking last night too.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #19
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

agreed, this game had a real blah feel to it. they need a shakeup in a big way, the Rush arent going away soon and this team cannot compete. Dickson looks really off this year.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #20
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this is how the season finishes I'd hope we see a coaching change at least.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote