Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #1661
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The new accusation is of a drunken proposition. A great number of men and women are guilty of being embarrassingly drunk, and making a fool of themselves while the proposition goes nowhere.
This person remembered the event with such disgust that she requested that her employer not to do a collaboration with one of the most famous people in the field 4 years after the fact. That should be a pretty big ####ing red flag that this was more than some harmless unreciprocated flirting.

It's not okay if a 'great number of men and women' are making others uncomfortable while drunk. It should not be used as any type of excuse.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #1662
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
All good questions. I think that the big take away is that public figures need to be careful about how they try to get laid. The positives of this is fewer people get abused. The Draw back is they get laid a little less often. Seems like a fair trade off to me.
especially if they have been married for 30 years.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #1663
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
especially if they have been married for 30 years.

I don't think that should really factor into this at all. Poly and non-monogamous relationships are starting to become more popular. If he and his wife are both atheists, you could deduce that they're not constrained by the whatever the religious definitions are of marriage.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #1664
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

News out of a settlement between Eliza Dushku and CBS:

Basically says she told Michael Weatherly some of his comments were inappropriate, and then plans to turn her into a regular were cancelled.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...l-actress.html
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #1665
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Man I can't believe the Les Moonves scandal isn't bigger news here. He had a CBS employee on call to perform oral sex at his beck and call. Total sleaze bag.

https://www.businessinsider.com/les-...l-sex-2018-12/
Fired with cause and no severance. Couldn’t happen to a nicer scumbag
https://twitter.com/user/status/1074791470136098816
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #1666
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for Dukshu to get her salary for four seasons. It sounds like CBS needs a total house cleaning. I assume Moonves will sue as that's a massive severance package.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #1667
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ak-out/580462/

Almost from the moment his star began to rise, Singer, who is now 53, has been trailed by allegations of sexual misconduct. These allegations were so well known that 4,000 students, faculty members, and alumni at the University of Southern California had signed a petition asking the school to take Singer’s name off one of its programs, the Bryan Singer Division of Cinema and Media Studies—which the school did immediately after Sanchez-Guzman filed his suit. As one prominent actor told us, “After the Harvey Weinstein news came out, everyone thought Bryan Singer would be next.”

We spent 12 months investigating various lawsuits and allegations against Singer. In total, we spoke with more than 50 sources, including four men who have never before told their stories to reporters. A man we’ll call Eric told us that he was 17 in 1997 when he and Singer had sex at a party at the director’s house; another we’ll call Andy says he was only 15 that same year, when he and Singer had sex in a Beverly Hills mansion. Both men say Singer, who was then in his early 30s, knew they were under 18, the age of consent in California. (They asked The Atlantic to conceal their identity for fear of retaliation, and because they didn’t want certain details about their past made public.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #1668
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:12 PM   #1669
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I’m surprised it’s taken this long for Singer. I remember reading about his stuff before the Cosby stuff dropped. I’m not really sure what’s kept him under the radar the past couple years. Less and more powerful people have been biting the dust.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:27 AM   #1670
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Yeah I’m surprised it’s taken this long for Singer. I remember reading about his stuff before the Cosby stuff dropped. I’m not really sure what’s kept him under the radar the past couple years. Less and more powerful people have been biting the dust.
while singer isn't that powerful, he does have pretty rich and powerful friends.
and I also think it's the gay thing. not as much interest in giving men their #metoo moment as there is women.
man on man sex is still an unattractive subject to most people.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:38 AM   #1671
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
while singer isn't that powerful, he does have pretty rich and powerful friends.
and I also think it's the gay thing. not as much interest in giving men their #metoo moment as there is women.
Spacey went under pretty fast after his incident was exposed.

Singer may have some powerful friends, but moreso that Weinstein or Cosby or Spacey?
Old 01-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #1672
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
It didn’t make a difference for Kevin Spacey.

Singer is just a strange eel, somehow slips out of every bad publicity into another opportunity. He’s a creep and, quite possible, a sex criminal
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #1673
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, Louis CK apparently decided to forget penance and self-growth and instead just took the easy route of now catering to the crowd that propably thinks what he did was okay to begin with

Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #1674
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
So, Louis CK apparently decided to forget penance and self-growth and instead just took the easy route of now catering to the crowd that propably thinks what he did was okay to begin with

I disagree.

What Louis did was mostly gross, inappropriate and sometimes a betrayal of his perceived authority. It was in no way okay but he apologized, in some cases directly to those involved, before the accusations even surfaced. I've never heard anyone argue that what he did was okay. That said, I think we can all agree that there is a spectrum of sexually inappropriate behavior, anywhere from telling a dirty joke to rape. I think Louis is much closer to the dirty joke end of the spectrum than even in the middle but I understand how others would see this differently.

Even so, how much penance and self-exile is enough? When is the appropriate time to come back. Is it a life sentence? 20 years? 10 years?The accusations against him surfaced in November 2017. It's been over a year since his penance started. At what point is he allowed to resume his career considering the crime? And who gets to decide?

The jokes that are being talked about and that this video alludes to are from a leaked set. These jokes are not a finished product and are meant for a small, live audience that specifically chose to see Louis or similar comedians and likely knew what to expect, more or less. The fact that there are so many pearl-clutchers like the guy in the video deciding what's an appropriate or inappropriate joke based on a leaked set screams of people jumping on the bandwagon and getting their easy precious clicks. If it was based on a Netflix special I could perhaps see their argument but even then it's largely subjective.

It's funny that this video references Roman Polanski. Where's his video for that guy considering he never really stopped working? To me this reeks of clickbait and taking advantage of the MeToo movement and the sub-culture of outrage.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #1675
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are people in a rush to forgive Louis and see him get a second chance? Is it because he's funny?

What he did was serious. He allegedly performed sexual acts in front of people and in some cases allegedly blocked them from leaving that situation.
He didn't physically assault them but that doesn't mean what he did shouldn't be taken seriously.
What specifically has he done in the less-than-year being out of the public eye to improve himself or reform? Anything?

Or did he just take a break long enough to hope things cooled off
Frankly I'm perfectly fine if his career is ruined forever. I don't know why he should deserve anything more than that.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:32 AM   #1676
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It didn’t make a difference for Kevin Spacey.

Singer is just a strange eel, somehow slips out of every bad publicity into another opportunity. He’s a creep and, quite possible, a sex criminal
He probably gets a way with it because he has a few pedophile producer friends that attended his pool parties over the years.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #1677
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Frankly I'm perfectly fine if his career is ruined forever. I don't know why he should deserve anything more than that.
You answered your own question. People just move on.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #1678
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post

It's funny that this video references Roman Polanski. Where's his video for that guy considering he never really stopped working?.
Wow, that is a pretty remarkable stretch of whataboutism.

What does ones opinion on the merits of certain type of comedy have to do with Polanski?

Plus it's eight years (?) since Polanski released a film, so I would count that as "has stopped working."

But.
Here. Although I'm sure you've read it already, given that it's trivially available with Google, and obviously you think it is super relevant.

I don't see this as relevant. (Especially since it's a decade old, and people's opinions might change in that time.)

(Personally I find the noise people make about Polanski to be really hypocritical. Polanski was just one guy doing exactly the same thing as guys like Bowie, Iggy Pop and others in the seventies. The LA baby groupie scene quite famously groomed underaged girls to be the sex toys of stars, and there were a lot of people in on that.

To me, focusing on Polanski is a sort of outsourced evil, that helps people pretend they're making a stand while actually mostly ignoring the issue. Because outside of few radical feminists, I've seen no one demand that we treat David Bowie, Jimmy Page, Mick Jagger, Jeff Beck, Marc Bolan, Alice Cooper, Robert Plant and Iggy Pop the way people want Polanski treated.

Now, I think there are valid arguments to not judge people for what they did decades ago, and valid reasons to judge them. Boycott them for all I care.

But I would like people to stop picking and choosing when it comes to making those judgments. If you think we need to keep talking about Polanskis crime, then you should also want to make noise about David Bowie, Jimmy Page, Mick Jagger, Jeff Beck, Marc Bolan, Alice Cooper, Robert Plant and Iggy Pop.

Just because Polanski happened to be the one put on trial shouldn't really make a difference when it comes to moral judgment.

Last edited by Itse; 01-27-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #1679
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mostly on your side here Red Slinger, I agree he shouldn't be lumped in with the Weinsteins and the Cosbys of the world. But I think a longer, multi-year hiatus would have done him better. The longer he stayed away, the more endearing he would have been in a comeback.

The tough thing is, for comedians, this is their therapy. Or was. How they express themselves is through jokes. And the vast majority can do random sets in crap towns or small open mics and not really get noticed. Even a very famous one going in to do a random set at a new york comedy club is not uncommon or going to be a very talked about thing. But he can't do that. He has no method of venting that he likely feels comfortable with so he goes back to stand up, probably trying to remain as anonymous as possible, but thats pretty much impossible for him now.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #1680
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Why are people in a rush to forgive Louis and see him get a second chance? Is it because he's funny?

What he did was serious. He allegedly performed sexual acts in front of people and in some cases allegedly blocked them from leaving that situation.
He didn't physically assault them but that doesn't mean what he did shouldn't be taken seriously.
What specifically has he done in the less-than-year being out of the public eye to improve himself or reform? Anything?

Serious is a word probably thrown around too leisurely. It's not like he's a menace to society or anything. Sure he has some weird fetish of masterbating in the presence of women but it's not like he's some sexual predator hiding in the shadows looking to rape women. He would even ask the women if he could masterbate in front of them. Not saying his behaviour was appropriate but hardly the stuff that should destroy someone's life and career over. People like this should get a 2nd chance.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-27-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: