Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #2881
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
They need Kilmer, the Maverick/Iceman rivalry is what drove the first movie.

He doesn't need to play a big role, but he needs to show up at the right time, but this time to push Mav in a support role.
Hes going to be the Secretary of the Navy or something and hes going to court martial Maverick and then Maverick is going to choose to defend himself, presumably demand the truth at some point and then leave the Navy and join the Air Force and then save the world from the Red Menace single-handedly.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #2882
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I thought the logical enemy would be Goose's son, angry about how Maverick's reckless actions caused his dad to bounce on the canopy of his plane and die. Also that Maverick was venerated as a hero and probably had sex with his mom after the funeral. Driven to revenge he joins the Russian Air Force, and gets to fly the Soviet Mig-97 prototype because nobody has been that close before. He engages Maverick over Syria, and just as he's about to kill his father's killer he's shot down by a cargo plane armed with machine guns and an elderly Iceman tells Maverick "That now he can fly on his wing anytime" Then they go off to watch young oily muscular pilots playing volleyball.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #2883
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Kilmer is in any shape to do more than maybe a cameo after battling throat cancer.

This is from December...

It looks like he has been doing the convention circuit recently, so he must be healthy enough to travel and do that, but he definitely doesn't have the hot shot screen presence he once had.

These photos are from a couple of weeks ago in Detroit: http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/i...his_custo.html
Old 06-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #2884
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I don't think Kilmer is in any shape to do more than maybe a cameo after battling throat cancer.

This is from December...

It looks like he has been doing the convention circuit recently, so he must be healthy enough to travel and do that, but he definitely doesn't have the hot shot screen presence he once had.

These photos are from a couple of weeks ago in Detroit: http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/i...his_custo.html
Oh...I didnt realize that he basically cant speak. Thats a bit of a dealbreaker.

Well good on him for beating cancer, but yeah, thats going to make his acting career more difficult.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #2885
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
V
Old 06-04-2018, 10:46 PM   #2886
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I thought the logical enemy would be Goose's son, angry about how Maverick's reckless actions caused his dad to bounce on the canopy of his plane and die. Also that Maverick was venerated as a hero and probably had sex with his mom after the funeral. Driven to revenge he joins the Russian Air Force, and gets to fly the Soviet Mig-97 prototype because nobody has been that close before. He engages Maverick over Syria, and just as he's about to kill his father's killer he's shot down by a cargo plane armed with machine guns and an elderly Iceman tells Maverick "That now he can fly on his wing anytime" Then they go off to watch young oily muscular pilots playing volleyball.
Does Ryan Gosling get the role?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #2887
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 08:00 AM   #2888
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks not bad, comes out same day as Aquaman tho so won't see it opening weekend.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #2889
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post

Looks not bad, comes out same day as Aquaman tho so won't see it opening weekend.
Go back 20 years and tell your past self you'd rather watch Aquaman than Transformers and watch the disbelief on your face.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 08:23 AM   #2890
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Go back 20 years and tell your past self you'd rather watch Aquaman than Transformers and watch the disbelief on your face.
Hahaha my 10 year old self would be super jacked to hear we were getting an Aquaman movie and a Bumblebee movie on the same day. Now if I could only save up enough money delivering flyers to afford two movie tickets
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #2891
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #2892
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

That's going to bomb hard.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #2893
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
That's going to bomb hard.
It reminds me of that 'Valerian and the something, something' movie.

Interesting premise, amazing visuals but just an awful, awful movie.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #2894
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

They had me at "Predator Cities".
Old 06-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #2895
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it looks like a pretty unique and original concept. I don't know if it will be a good movie, but I would like to support the rare blockbuster movie that isn't a sequel or based on an existing universe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 01:03 PM   #2896
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It reminds me of that 'Valerian and the something, something' movie.

Interesting premise, amazing visuals but just an awful, awful movie.

Loved the opening of Valerian...And then....the acting and action sequences started. These movies need to get better actors involved. They also need to end the dumb platform jumping action scenes too. So much jumping.

Surprisingly, the budget on this Mortal Engines movie was only $100 million. So it, unlike Valerian, may turn a profit.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #2897
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valerian had issues with acting, yes, but its biggest problem was that it was a theme park movie. From one scene to the next you would be introduced to new characters who would do something neat and then you would never see them again. The audience never really cares for anyone. It felt pointless in the end.

As influential as the source material may have been, it simply makes for a bad movie. I haven't read the Mortal Engines series, but it seems like it will adapt better to screen.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #2898
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Valerian had issues with acting, yes, but its biggest problem was that it was a theme park movie. From one scene to the next you would be introduced to new characters who would do something neat and then you would never see them again. The audience never really cares for anyone. It felt pointless in the end.

As influential as the source material may have been, it simply makes for a bad movie. I haven't read the Mortal Engines series, but it seems like it will adapt better to screen.
I just watched it this weekend, and it was comical how often a character(or group ) would show up, help the plot along, then be literally killed off. And the main characters wouldn't even acknowledge it! The sets on the city station(non-cgi) also looked like they were thrown together for a skit show.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:59 PM   #2899
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

You guys are missing the most important thing that made Valerian suck.

The main actor and actress were lovers but look like siblings. Even in the ads I thought they were siblings. During the first 5 minutes when they kissed, I was like WTF is this? GoT?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #2900
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
You guys are missing the most important thing that made Valerian suck.

The main actor and actress were lovers but look like siblings. Even in the ads I thought they were siblings. During the first 5 minutes when they kissed, I was like WTF is this? GoT?
That was very jarring....Not only did they look alike, but they always had the exact same facial expressions, to the point that it looked like one of those face swapping apps:

...and then we got to see them make out and roll around together in bathing suits.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: