Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #2721
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Is there any doubt, after watching the trailer, that they're bringing dinosaurs to the mainland?
That's a rehash as well.

I meant having a Jurassic Park on mainland right from the start.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #2722
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Or...

It could be terrible like Jurassic World.
I liked Jurassic World

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cKy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #2723
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Or...

It's directed by JA Bayona, so I'm holding out hope that it's not going to be terrible because he's incredible. If anyone can make a big, stupid movie like this into something more, it's him. Although I'm hoping for big & stupid because that's my favourite kind of Jurassic movie! I really enjoyed JW.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #2724
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or...

I dont know what to tell you. Jurassic World wasnt terrible. It wasnt great. But thats what these movies are.

If you're expecting something different then perhaps they're not for you.

They're Dinosaurs and a formula and explosions and the story might, might crack a 6 out of 10, but if you want 'La La Land' with Dinosaurs then this isnt going to deliver that.

Although.....its a brilliant idea. I'd pay to see Ryan Gosling eaten by Dinosaurs....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #2725
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
I liked Jurassic World
Me too. It's a lot of fun.

People take genetically modified dinosaurs too seriously.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #2726
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kind of enjoyed the last movie and was actually looking forward to where they might take the story after successfully rebooting the franchise, but I agree this trailer is awful. Definitely looks more like a B movie.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #2727
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Park, researchers/evil park people, rescue mission of accidental landing on island.

That's all 4 movies. And is there really another not-stupid plot anyone can think of? Because clearly no one involved in this franchise could think of one.
You forgot 'big game dinosaur hunters' and 't-rex in the city'. Number 2 was one of my favourites
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #2728
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

They need to follow the military story line, maybe that is in there and they are just teasing that it's all about a volcano.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #2729
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
They need to follow the military story line, maybe that is in there and they are just teasing that it's all about a volcano.
And why cant Chris Pratt ever keep the girl?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #2730
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

You just know that eventually they will end up in space and we'll have Jurassic Galaxy or something along those lines.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #2731
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
You just know that eventually they will end up in space and we'll have Jurassic Galaxy or something along those lines.
And I cant wait. The more preposterous the better! I want to see a T-Rex wearing a Jetsons's style bubble-helmet while trying to gnaw on a Star Destroyer.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #2732
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I get that it's rehashing old themes and upping the ante but what else are they going to do. As Cecil said, there's not much to work with. Unless the dinosaurs are on mainland or they send people back in time to when dinosaurs were alive, we're limited to visiting the same island over and over again.

This time they're throwing in a volcano.

Anyone have a better plot they'd like to see that isn't Land of the Lost?
I mean they are literally rehashing moments from the original movie. The life finds a way quote. Being in awe of a brontosaurus. T-Rex standing over a smaller dinosaur roaring. Just lazy and uninspired.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #2733
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And I cant wait. The more preposterous the better! I want to see a T-Rex wearing a Jetsons's style bubble-helmet while trying to gnaw on a Star Destroyer.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #2734
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I get that it's rehashing old themes and upping the ante but what else are they going to do. As Cecil said, there's not much to work with. Unless the dinosaurs are on mainland or they send people back in time to when dinosaurs were alive, we're limited to visiting the same island over and over again.

This time they're throwing in a volcano.

Anyone have a better plot they'd like to see that isn't Land of the Lost?
After the last "incident" the island is abandoned the park shut down. It is declared a no-go zone, and left for the dinosaurs to inhabit. At this point, you could go one of 2 ways.

1-Shipwreck leaves some group of people, either family, or kids or something on the island, and they have to ultimately survive to get to a communications building that needs repairs, maybe scavenging parts to call for rescue. They could stumble upon an old park worker hermit who decided to stay on the island and was declared dead years before. He could help them and stuff. Bonus if they use Bruce Willis for this role.

2-Super secret organization like SPECTRE secretly sets up a base on the island, weaponizing the dino's with things like laser beams on their heads. They are then sent to the middle east to terrorize them, for, uh reasons.

You could also combine both of these ideas and have the shipwrecked folk be the ones exposing the evil plot.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #2735
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Remember when Newman tried to steal dino eggs iN the first movie? You could create any number of plots from the premise that someone else figures out how to create dinosaurs, or steals the tech. Like the yakuza! And they farm their T-rexes under Tokyo, until an earthquake somehow releases radioactive coolant from a nearby nuclear power plant into their habitat, mutating the largest and most intelligent specimen into GODZILLA!!!!!
Old 12-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #2736
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Remember when Newman tried to steal dino eggs iN the first movie? You could create any number of plots from the premise that someone else figures out how to create dinosaurs, or steals the tech. Like the yakuza! And they farm their T-rexes under Tokyo, until an earthquake somehow releases radioactive coolant from a nearby nuclear power plant into their habitat, mutating the largest and most intelligent specimen into GODZILLA!!!!!
I'm pretty sure this is just the backstory to 'Pacific Rim.'

Old 12-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #2737
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
After the last "incident" the island is abandoned the park shut down. It is declared a no-go zone, and left for the dinosaurs to inhabit. At this point, you could go one of 2 ways.

1-Shipwreck leaves some group of people, either family, or kids or something on the island, and they have to ultimately survive to get to a communications building that needs repairs, maybe scavenging parts to call for rescue. They could stumble upon an old park worker hermit who decided to stay on the island and was declared dead years before. He could help them and stuff. Bonus if they use Bruce Willis for this role.
Wasn't that kind of the plot of the last Jurassic Park movie when the kid got stranded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
2-Super secret organization like SPECTRE secretly sets up a base on the island, weaponizing the dino's with things like laser beams on their heads. They are then sent to the middle east to terrorize them, for, uh reasons.

You could also combine both of these ideas and have the shipwrecked folk be the ones exposing the evil plot.
I could see that movie if they bring Will Ferrell in as the villain.

I just don't get why Hollywood relies on the whole Pet Cemetary theory of events.

You know where you compound mistakes.

In pet cemetery.

Your family pet dies, you hear about a powerful pet cemetery, bury your cat there and it comes back evil and attacks everyone.

So your son gets hit by a car and dies, your crushed and bury your kit at the Pet Cemetery, he comes back evil, kills your neighbor and your wife

So you bury your wife there.

So going by that the Jurassic Park logic

You build a park and stock it with genetically enhanced dinosaurs, nature finds a way and the park goes out of control and the dinosaurs basically try to kill everyone

So you build a second park, and genetically engineer the dinosaurs to be even more dangerous and unpredictable and to add onto that your genetic alterations make a dinosaur that's super intelligent, can rally other dinosaurs oh yeah and camouflage itself.

So now, you bring the dinosaurs to the main land where there's no natural quarantine.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #2738
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could have them trying to keep the park open even regardless of the issues. It's now almost exclusively visited by extreme sports idiots who want to base jump and squirrel suit with pterodactyls.

Some court room drama with whether or not the park should be allowed to remain open as people regularly die. Evil/ignorant corp guy argues they are signing up at their own risk. Malcolm can show up here.

Shotty security on the island due to cut backs results in a break out and attack a nearby vacation island.

OR

Maybe one of the extreme people takes a dinosaur home thinking he can raise it like a pet?

OR

Have a purely water prehistoric park and have a Deep Blue Style issue. A breakout results in dinos entering the actual ecosystem and becoming real sea monsters.

OR

The volcano is about blow up and were going to debate whether or not to protect the animals we created.

As a premise it's not bad. Whats bad is watching Man vs Supervolcano That He Could Never Survive.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #2739
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Well Matty now you've got me thinking about potential crossover appeal.

How about Chris Pratt and his raptor Blue in a Marley and Me story.

Or an odd couple flying a small 2 seater plane crashes and is stuck on the island for six days, seven nights starring actual fossil Harrison Ford and Anne Heche.

I'm also thinking of some sort of time travel movie where we find out at the end that it was modern day earth all along, turns out to be Jurassic island, directed by M Night Shyamalan.

Maybe a Mad Max meets Ray Liotta in No Escape where they use it as prisoners island.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-08-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #2740
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Can we have the X-Men travel there? Maybe they can do a Savage Land/X-Men/JP crossover guest starring Ka-Zar.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote