Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2022, 11:54 AM   #7741
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
Thank you Johnny.
Thank you for always being there for the young fans in the dome, flipping the puck 80 feet in the air as the kids look in awe.
Thank you for Bar down snipes.
Thank you for when you dance in the offensive zone.

I would encourage everyone to get your JG13 Gear and put it in a safe place.
Come on man really… can’t believe he’s leaving if he does. It makes zero sense from a hockey stand point but oh well.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:54 AM   #7742
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

If 11x8 is what it would take to get it done, Edwards & Tre would be insane to not offer it.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:56 AM   #7743
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not looking forward to losing Johnny, overpaying for Kadri and have to listen to Treliving try to sell us on him being a "Proven winner and Stanley Cup champion" the same day.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:57 AM   #7744
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I guess what I still don't really know...

Did the Gaudreau camp in fact propose an $11MM AAV deal to the Flames?
Or have the Flames just been upping their offer as the deadline approaches?

If the former, still a chance this gets done. If the latter, I am rather pessimistic.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 11:57 AM   #7745
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am still confident it gets done but I really wish it would be sooner because as this drags on the Debbie Downer crowd will get more and more intolerable. Just sign so we lessen some of the load and that group can move on to Matthew Tkachuk walking away next year.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 11:58 AM   #7746
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Come on man really… can’t believe he’s leaving if he does. It makes zero sense from a hockey stand point but oh well.
He’s already playing in the best league in the world. Everyone one of us have a preference of where we’d like to work if given the choice. Calgary maybe home for some of us but many would go else where if everything else was equal.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:58 AM   #7747
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I am still confident it gets done but I really wish it would be sooner because as this drags on the Debbie Downer crowd will get more and more intolerable. Just sign so we lessen some of the load and that group can move on to Matthew Tkachuk walking away next year.
If we only get Tkachuk on his QO this year I hope we trade him by the trade deadline to avoid going through all of this again.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:58 AM   #7748
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Not looking forward to losing Johnny, overpaying for Kadri and have to listen to Treliving try to sell us on him being a "Proven winner and Stanley Cup champion" the same day.
Adding Kadri makes us deeper down the middle, add Pelletier at rookie salary, trade for Burns.... who knows
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:58 AM   #7749
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
Thank you Johnny.
Thank you for always being there for the young fans in the dome, flipping the puck 80 feet in the air as the kids look in awe.
Thank you for Bar down snipes.
Thank you for when you dance in the offensive zone.

I would encourage everyone to get your JG13 Gear and put it in a safe place.
He’s leaving over a 1/2 million per year? Just pay him . Superstars won’t sign as ufa’s and almost all probably have Calgary on their ntc.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:58 AM   #7750
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I’m sincerely sitting here desperately waiting for when I say dissentowner was right all along
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 11:59 AM   #7751
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Johnny and you can do whatever you want but the most successful players got that way through prioritizing winning in their lives. Guess what? They typically raise nice families as transplants in a new city as do many people around the world who make career advancement a priority. If he signs with Philly, we can rest easy knowing winning is 4th or 5th on his list of properties. He won't though. Signs with flames at 9:40 8x11.
I would say that depends entirely on what one views as "success." I also expect that what Johnny considers "success" will have changed between the signing of his last contract and now.

If he does choose Calgary though, that will certainly bode well for the team, as there are a lot of factors pulling Johnny in the other direction. I certainly hope you're right about him staying (though not for the contract value you're predicting).
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:59 AM   #7752
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
Adding Kadri makes us deeper down the middle, add Pelletier at rookie salary, trade for Burns.... who knows
Stop it you're making me scared.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:59 AM   #7753
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So I guess what I still don't really know...

Did the Gaudreau camp in fact propose an $11MM AAV deal to the Flames?
Or have the Flames just been upping their offer as the deadline approaches?

If the former, still a chance this gets done. If the latter, I am rather pessimistic.
I think the 11M was a leak by his representatives to inform other teams not in negotiations of what the starting number will look like.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:59 AM   #7754
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
So would you take Gaudreau at 11 or Kadri at 8 and Gudbranson at 3? The term will be much shorter on the latter.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:00 PM   #7755
littlereddevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I think I have come to accept that JG is likely leaving. Sucks, but the writing seems to be on the wall. Can't fault him if he does. But I will be pretty (pleasantly) shocked if he's a Flames in the upcoming weeks ahead. I'm sure he loves the city, team and fans. But ultimately this is a "life" decision and no one can fault him for choosing to go home.

Sucks the Flames could lose him for nothing, but I'll always be grateful for him for FINALLY getting this team over the 1st round hump and scoring an epic OT winner.
Well I would like to delude myself into thinking that Gaudreau likes the city, but let's face it, the future of this team is very uncertain as long as we don't have a new arena deal locked up.

And speaking from someone who is a born and raised Calgarian (and now has the pleasure of living in Edmonton), the city isn't as great as it used to be. It's on the decline IMO. Plus Gaudreau is American so can you really fault him if he wants to move to a U.S. market closer to home.

Hate on the Oilers all you want, but at least their management made the effort to keep their stars by securing that arena, and the city has a much more optimistic hockey vibe to it than Calgary.

We can't keep flirting with mediocrity and hoping that players will stay. Even Iginla learned the hard way.
littlereddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:01 PM   #7756
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone think there is a chance of some wizardry in the final hours?
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 12:01 PM   #7757
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So would you take Gaudreau at 11 or Kadri at 8 and Gudbranson at 3? The term will be much shorter on the latter.
The first option and it's not even close.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:01 PM   #7758
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gaudreau every day.

Top tier talent is what wins Stanley Cup. Yeah, Kadri won a cup…playing behind Mackinnon.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 12:02 PM   #7759
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
He’s leaving over a 1/2 million per year? Just pay him . Superstars won’t sign as ufa’s and almost all probably have Calgary on their ntc.
I don’t think he’s leaving over half a million. I think there is factors besides money that play a bigger value then money. The money is there. 80-84 million isn’t much. Just like 77-80 million isn’t much.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:02 PM   #7760
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Does anyone think there is a chance of some wizardry in the final hours?

Seravalli said the current offer was somewhere north of $10mil/yr

He also said yesterday that the Flames were willing to go as high as $11mil/yr.

If these things are true, the Flames have still left themselves some room to increase the offer. Still hopeful
mile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win