Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #41
fwd
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
sigh.
您已被发现违反了crtc的新内容, 30 %的加拿大条例。
具体来说,您已经张贴的只有美国全国橄榄球联赛,而不是加拿大的足球联赛。
您的帐户已被终止。
请到最近的警察局接受审问。

Last edited by fwd; 01-09-2009 at 03:49 PM.
fwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #42
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd View Post
您已被发现违反了crtc的新内容, 30 %的加拿大条例。
具体来说,您已经张贴的只有美国全国橄榄球联赛,而不是加拿大的足球联赛。
您的帐户已被终止。
请到最近的警察局接受审问。
WTF is that supposed to prove?

BTW - translated......
"You have been found to have breached the crtc of new content, 30% of the Canadian regulations.
Specifically, you have posted only the United States National Football League, rather than the Canadian Football League.
Your account has been terminated.
Go to the nearest police station for questioning."
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #43
fwd
Draft Pick

CFCN (CTV Calgary) confirmed today that they are testing their HD this week. They don't have a channel assigned yet, but it will definitely be in place in time for the Super Bowl.
Therefore, the only "choice" (legal choice, anyway) remaining for original Super Bowl feeds seems to be Star Choice.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #44
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

While we would still miss the US Commercials, I wish the Canadian broadcaster would at least charge an expensive rate for the commercials as well, forcing the Canadian advertizers to spend more on producing high quality commercials, as well. If we can't see the high quality american commercials, at least give us the high quality commercials so we don't end up resenting Canadian Tire for the same lame commercial that just aired for the 5th commercial break in a row.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #45
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Oops, I thanked this post of Ken's because I agree that if I am paying to watch U.S. content then let me see ALL of it damnit. Problem was I didn't see how you are in support of Canadian Content regulations for radio. Cancon is facism!
Let me clarify that a bit.

I'm not sure if I am in favour of the Cancon rules regarding radio. Still on the fence on that one. But the one thing I cannot deny is that looking at my CD and cassette collections I can tell you that I am probably well over 30% in the "cancon" of my own music that I purchased.

So with radio, the "facism" (and I know you used that tongue in cheek) did what it intended, by exposing me to more Canadian music I ended up buying more Canadian music, supporting Canadian artists, and set things in motion for there to be a real Canadian music scene.

The point of signal substitution is to allow Canadian TV stations and networks to generate revenue to create Canadian TV shows, which would further Canadian acting, writing, producing- everything. But instead all we are doing is enabling Canadian networks to just feed us American programming- which in turn takes us a lot further away from the intention of the law by making us watch more American programming.

I also find American commercials entertaining. Look in the various "commercials you can't stand" threads in the OT section. How many of the commercials in there are American? And don't say that we don't see American comercials; there are plenty of US channels and shows that I know I watch that don't get substituted.

So my points:
- I want to see the American ads; especially during the Superbowl because I like them.
- I pay more on my satellite bill to be able to obtain US networks.
- The signal substitution IMHO is having a negative effect on Canadian Culture; opposite of what was intended.

I will even go so far to say that I would be willing to pay money to never have substitutions. That way the Canadian networks can take that money to "create their own shows."
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #46
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
So my points:
- I want to see the American ads; especially during the Superbowl because I like them.
- I pay more on my satellite bill to be able to obtain US networks.
- The signal substitution IMHO is having a negative effect on Canadian Culture; opposite of what was intended.

I will even go so far to say that I would be willing to pay money to never have substitutions. That way the Canadian networks can take that money to "create their own shows."
This is why I think simsubbing and NHL blackouts should be illegal in Canada for people with digital cable or Satellite.

If I pay for extra US channels, which I do, and I pay for all 4 sportsnets, which I do, then why don't I get all of their programming? People who just pay for basic cable should get the simsubs. I on the other hand should get to watch what I paid for.

It actually makes me more angry about stupid sportsnet. Why are Bell, Shaw etc even allowed to offer a channel that I cannot watch? I effing paid for it, therefore you cannot block out my programming. That is the whole point of paying for it, is that I can watch all of their programming.

What a sham. At least we don't have to deal with the FCC or the MPAA. The two Naziest regimes that have ever existed.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #47
Trey Wingbat
Draft Pick

A good post from another forum:

I must say that CTV's sickening simsubbing has really killed my NFL playoff experience this year. Early in the season I noticed that the Eastern HD stations were left alone, so I would watch them. Now everything is hijacked. Even the Eastern SD's. AND EVEN ALL THE PRE-GAME SHOWS ARE TAKEN OVER. Its the same 3 commercials and the same 3 promos over and over and over again. And I notice that they, 'cheat', coming back from commercial, and almost always cut in half way through a sentence, or half-way through the next play. Having stuff shoved down my throat makes me sick, and the CRTC is masters at it. I feel pushed to go to the grey market like a lot of people I know. I pay tons of money each month for my cable and can only watch it in ways deemed appropriate by the CRTC and Canadian government. The Americans would never stand for their govt to be in their face like ours is. Anyway, CTV, just to let you know, you are making me sick, and I will avoid you and your products and your advertisers products as much as I can.
Trey Wingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:29 PM   #48
fwd
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
They should have some kind of PPV agreement that could be arranged between the BDUs and the networks.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:46 AM   #49
fwd
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Wingbat View Post
When I frist read that CTV stated that Canadians aren't interested in watching the American ads during the Superbowl, I almost blew a gasket. I am a huge NFL fan, and I'll watch almost every regular season game, so watching the game itself is the most important to me during the Superbowl. But naturally, just like everyone else, I want to see the commercials themselves.

First of all (and I am steamed right now while typing this), CTV is saying that people don't want to watch the commercials, but then they state that if you do, you can watch them online anyways!!! So what is it CTV, either people want to watch them or they don't.

And who in their right mind wouldn't want to see the Superbowl commercials in glorious HD in real-time on a 60" or 70" HD TV, instead of viewing them online after the fact in a grainy compressed pixelated format on a 15" computer screen??????????????????
Found an interesting news piece written during the CRTC hearings filed by CTV.
While CTV was arguing to the CRTC that:
"CTV also disagreed with Bell TV’s assertion that viewers who tune into the Super Bowl are primarily interested in the commercial messages. CTV added that those viewers who really want to see the U.S. commercials can download them from the Internet within minutes after their being broadcast during the game."
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2008/db2008-358.htm

and at the same time CTV was trying to run a program featuring the commercials from the game (the same as Globull used to do):
"One-of-a-kind TV commercials that are broadcast only in the United States during the Super Bowl are so enticing to Canadians that the CTV network attempted to buy the ads to broadcast as a separate TV show in Canada, apart from the championship football game.
The plan was revealed by CTVglobemedia Inc. chief executive Ivan Fecan at Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission hearings last week in Ottawa."
http://www.srgnet.com/pdf/FinancialPost(April202008).pdf

What a bunch of hypocrites!

Last edited by fwd; 01-13-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #50
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I always found it to be so hypocritical of Global; when they would have the rights to the Superbowl and on their newscasts show previews and highlights of the American comercials.

If the comercials are so good that they deserve to be shown on their own, then they should be considered to be part of the Superbowl program.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #51
mmanzz
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default I usually PVR the game

Humm, i guess i am a minority in here, i usually PVR games and watch them about an hour and a half to two hours behind. I can usually watch a complete hockey game in 60-90 minutes and when i do watch football its usually only about 60 minutes of gameplay. By the end of the game in realtime, i'm usually caught up and in synch with the live game.

So what commercials are we talking about?
mmanzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #52
Trey Wingbat
Draft Pick

I've tried PVRing, but you lose that sense of "live broadcast" and it doesn't quite feel the same, even though you're only an hour or two behind the original telecast and then can catch up towards the end and almost be at real-time.

Globull... I like that. Or Crapwest Global as I like to say. Or mabye we'll combine the two and say Crapwest Globull. Plus we already have CrapTV.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #53
Trey Wingbat
Draft Pick

Oh, and CTVglobemedia's chief executive isn't Ivan Fecan, it's Ivan Fecalmatter.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:56 AM   #54
CrazyInSane
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99
Since CTV purchased the rights to show the Super Bowl in Canada....i have no problem with them doing this.

Its how they make their money. Why shoudlnt they have right to sell their ads during the game?
I just wanted to reply with a pretty straight forward statement:

What is the point of the existence of private Canadian broadcasters if all they provide is American programming, which is aired in simulcast with US networks, providing virtually no additional TV choice to Canadians, and making no mark on Canadian culture? Seriously? What's the point? News? Occasional low-budget ripoffs of US shows like Deal or No Deal or Entertainment Tonight? Or even worse...

CANADIAN ADS??

If you're going to tell me that Canadian private broadcasters exist solely to ensure that we watch Canadian ads instead of the US ones we'd be watching otherwise, that's one sad, sad statement.

For news, I'm fine with the CBC and the internet. For crappy US-ripoff shows that pale in comparison to the originals, I'm fine with those never surfacing ever again.

And another big point about private Canadian networks is that they will only carry US programs that air on Fox, NBC, CBS or ABC... they rarely ever broadcast shows from other US networks that we can't receive in Canada, because then they wouldn't be able to simsub and virtually have ownership of two channels (theirs and the US network) for 30 min/60 mins. When's the last time you saw a WB or USA Network show on Global or CTV? Barely ever.

And why don't we get Australian or British programming? Are we just going to admit defeat and finally admit that we're just the 51st state? (I mean my God, Global and CTV are airing exclusive coverage of BARACK OBAMA'S INAUGURATION on January 20! They wouldn't even do that for a CANADIAN PRESIDENT... oh I mean Prime Minister, I forgot).

———
P.S. - I can't believe CTV had the balls to complain about Star Choice when it came to the 2008 Super Bowl. Star Choice uses VCO technology to ensure that the LOCAL CTV or Global station is the one simsubbed in any given area.... which is no different than the cable companies... so CTV should be thankful for this!!! But oh no, the crybabies go ape-shyte when Star Choice won't simsub the Super Bowl (in HD) for everyone in the country!

They're not required to do so!! There are no freaking CTVHD transmitters outside of Toronto or Vancouver!! Can you believe CTV actually suggested that Star Choice divvy up the country into two sections, each of which would have simsubs enforced by either the west (Vancouver) or east (Toronto) CTVHD feed??!! What a freaking joke! I hope Ivan Feces chokes on a potato (and lives, but has a sore throat for like 5 days.. the ######bag).

Last edited by CrazyInSane; 01-17-2009 at 03:15 AM.
CrazyInSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:44 AM   #55
Trey Wingbat
Draft Pick

Are you effing kidding me?

(Sorry, I had to say that a few more times).

"Global and CTV are airing exclusive coverage of BARACK OBAMA'S INAUGURATION on January 20!".

Now I have heard it all regarding simsubbing.

CTV and Global really are just another wannabe US network. Wow.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #56
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default US feed for the superbowl on Shaw

Can anyone on Shaw recommend a channel to watch the US feed so I can watch the AMerican commercials?

The CTV feed sucks and there are only so many olympic commercials and fertilizer commercials a man can watch.

Thanks

the 3 HD feeds are all copies of CTV feed. Even Channel 83 (detroit) is a copy of the HD feed.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #57
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the only option would be to stream online.

It's pretty lame if you ask me, I guess CTV needs their ad dollars though too...
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #58
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

As has been discussed, CTV's blocked all US feeds for the first time this year for most cable provider's feed, unless I think if you're on Star Choice.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #59
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

it is lame. In the last few years they still left channel 83 alone so we could watch the true US feed. Damn CTV...greedy buggers

Last edited by guzzy; 02-01-2009 at 04:27 PM.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #60
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, it really blows.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote