Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2010, 07:40 AM   #41
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
If my idea of fun is completing missions of 'normal' astronauts on the moon, who are you to tell me that's wrong? If your idea of fun is to come along and try to ruin my fun...should you be allowed?
That's the beauty of Eve, the EULA allows almost anything to occur within the game. In high security space you can get killed by NPC "police" for attacking other players, but in the low-security and "lawless" 0.0 space you have to be on your game at all times to avoid getting killed.

Scamming and other sorts of ways of taking money from another player are totally legal in all areas of the game. The fool and their money are soon parted in this universe.

You can truly choose to be a noble player, or the scum of the game that scams/kills/conquers their way to the top. Or some sort of spot in the middle of all of that.

Let me just say that in Eve, good is dumb. Hi-sec players struggle to make 4 million/hour mining. I have been back in the game since early November and am about to pass 1 billion in credits in the game.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #42
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, made my account, back in the game Lost my first ship already too, lol. Think I'm getting my head wrapped around it better this time. TONS to learn but I think I'm gonna be able to stick to it better this time. So make money as a noob is mining, yes? And the way to sell it is to open your cargo hold at a station and just click on sell item? I try to scan the rookie channel as much as possible but there are so many conversations going on at once it's hard to follow at times.

My name in game is Great Crouton
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #43
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I HATE mining, anything but shooting space rocks for me. Why not try running some missions with the agents in your area of space?

What character did you roll? Caldari, Minmatar, Amarr, or Gallente?

Edit: I like your name.

Last edited by Bigtime; 12-20-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #44
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Ok, made my account, back in the game Lost my first ship already too, lol. Think I'm getting my head wrapped around it better this time. TONS to learn but I think I'm gonna be able to stick to it better this time. So make money as a noob is mining, yes? And the way to sell it is to open your cargo hold at a station and just click on sell item? I try to scan the rookie channel as much as possible but there are so many conversations going on at once it's hard to follow at times.

My name in game is Great Crouton

Early game i would just run the tutorial missions, way more money to be had. I wouldn't mine until i had at least trained to a Retreiver as you make money ridiculously slowly in a Frigate, though the Minmitar cruiser isn't a bad mining ship early game.

Also the tutorial missions will give you an idea of what all the ways to make money are.

In regards to my money amounts the retreiver has about as much armor as a piece of paper so i'd get torn to shreds in low sec so not really an option for me right now. Once i have a hulk i'll venture into low sec as they can tank like crazy. I need to train up drones so i can run some warrior II's for protection.

A hulk in high sec would still make probably 10-12 million per hour and in low sec could easily make over 50 mill plus per hour.

Mining is boring which is why i'm running a PVP player too who is being financed by my miner. Ideally my miner will eventually be a producer too, so i'll not only mine the resources but then produce ships/supplies for other people to buy. Monopoly baby.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #45
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL, ya, it's an easy name to remember.

I don't mind the mining so much tbh. I like having an industrial ship as well as an attack ship although I use both terms very loosley at this point in the game.

I actually did start running some missions, that's how I lost my ship, lol. Warped into some area I was told could be dicey but I had done a couple before that were similar and the bandits in the area were easy. This time I warped in, didn't even get a chance to raise my shields and I was blown to bits. So I bought a new ship and man, I have to learn to look at pre-requisites before I buy. New ship needed frigate lvl 3 or something. Thankfully by the time I get home tonight I'll be able to use it.

I have been doing the tutorials but they can get confusing at times as they will come up even if you don't have all the skills/equipment to actually do them.

Soon as I get my new ship equiped, I'll be running as many missions as possible.

Oh and Finner, I'll try looking you up tonight.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #46
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I have been back in the game since early November and am about to pass 1 billion in credits in the game.
I wonder then if you can answer a question for me. What is the "point" of EVE Online? I mean...is there a storyline or a plot to follow, like WoW, with raids, instances and a reachable 'end point' (that they keep moving back, of course) or is it really just grab all the money you can to buy bigger toys to grab money faster with?
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #47
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I own Eve since it was like $2 on Steam one day but there's no chance in hell I am paying monthly to play spreadsheets in space or spill my tears to people who pay a monthly fee.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #48
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder then if you can answer a question for me. What is the "point" of EVE Online? I mean...is there a storyline or a plot to follow, like WoW, with raids, instances and a reachable 'end point' (that they keep moving back, of course) or is it really just grab all the money you can to buy bigger toys to grab money faster with?
I would say there is no endgame, the entire universe is a giant sandbox. The big corporations (like Goonwaffe) hold sovereignty over the conquerable parts of 0.0 space, epic battles are fought between these corps to gain new territory. I'm talking fleet battles that have seen 500+ players going at it, the lag becomes pretty bad in these situations though. However the developer will usually be notified ahead of these huge battles and allocate extra servers to the node controlling the system being disputed.

New skills, ships, equipment and other features are introduced pretty frequently. They have added a whole new tier of "Tech 3" ships between when I played in 2006 and now. Plus new ways to make money like 'planetary interaction' where you can set up facilities on planets to produce goods to sell on the markets (or for your corp).

You do need to make the mega-spacebux though. Inflation has hit the markets pretty hard and depending on the class of ship you can be spending into the billions to buy and outfit a single one. A standard battleship will usually cost you about $80M for the hull, and at least another 20-30M to equip it (depending on your skills and what level of equipment you can use). Then you take it out on an op and proceed to get called primary right away and blown up!

Very large ships like carriers, dreadnoughts, and Titans (absolutely massive ships, billions to construct) have ridiculous prices, and with very few exceptions only corporations have the resources to purchase and operate them in numbers to slug it out with each other.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #49
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

^
To make it more clear, the storyline is emergent from player actions, that is the storyline arises from things all the players do together as a community and the world that evolves from that like players and corporations going to war with each other, doing business, doing espionage, etc. It's kind of like real life. Still, it's still spreadsheets in space.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #50
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Very large ships like carriers, dreadnoughts, and Titans (absolutely massive ships, billions to construct) have ridiculous prices, and with very few exceptions only corporations have the resources to purchase and operate them in numbers to slug it out with each other.
I haven't followed the happenings of EVE for some time, but do corps still even bother making Titans? I remember a number of them being destroyed in a short time, and wondering why it's worth painting such a huge target on yourself.

There were some pretty clever plans hatched to destroy them though!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #51
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I haven't followed the happenings of EVE for some time, but do corps still even bother making Titans? I remember a number of them being destroyed in a short time, and wondering why it's worth painting such a huge target on yourself.

There were some pretty clever plans hatched to destroy them though!
Oh yeah, I remember when it was a big deal that a couple of the largest corporations back in 2006 built their first Titans. Now I'd dare say there are hundreds of Titans around, and they get used during the big fleet battles.

Goonswarm (Goonfleet/Goonwaffe and allies) was actually credited with having the first ever kill of a Titan in the game:

Old 12-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #52
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Stuff
Thanks! It's almost kind of a shame that I know what I know about EVE, as how you've described it sounds pretty interesting.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #53
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks! It's almost kind of a shame that I know what I know about EVE, as how you've described it sounds pretty interesting.
Reading about Eve is sometimes more fun than actually playing Eve. The people that play it are quite creative and the workings and politics are all very much like actual human behavior.

I enjoyed reading the various things about the Goonfleet and the Northern Alliance fighting against the Band of Brothers, etc.

Wasn't there something where a spy or a BoB high ranking member defected or the password to the shields were stolen and then BoB (then one of the biggest and hated corporations) lost tens of thousands of dollars in real world money equivalent when their capital ships were destroyed?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #54
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Wasn't there something where a spy or a BoB high ranking member defected or the password to the shields were stolen and then BoB (then one of the biggest and hated corporations) lost tens of thousands of dollars in real world money equivalent when their capital ships were destroyed?
I believe that happened after I left the game. Our current corporation leader 'The Mittani' has always run the intelligence agency, the masterful spy moves he makes with his agents are always something to behold.

He barely logs onto the game itself, most of his moves are done via programs like jabber and IRC I believe.

Tags
fat bee best bee , goonwaffles , internet spaceships , pew pew pew