Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default EVE Online

So does anyone else play internet spaceships (Eve Online) here?

http://www.eveonline.com/

I started playing back in 2006 after reading a recruitment thread on the SomethingAwful forums for their corporation Goonfleet. In true SA fashion the goal was to grief pubbies and other corporations that took the game way too seriously. All of us noobs would throw our pitifully cheap ships (frigates) at enemy fleets and swarm them, and drink in their tears as our cheap ships cost them billions in their equipment.

I left the game after about 9 months (real life!) and followed some of the happenings since that time.

I got back into the game a couple of months ago, Goonfleet (Goonswarm alliance) imploded in wonderful fashion and from the ashes Goonwaffe was formed. We have some pretty sweet space that we control and plenty of enemies to fight. We continue to grief and generally piss off the majority of those not in our alliance. Thanks to a very awesome EULA things like scamming and stealing are pretty much ok in the developers books, space really is a harsh place.

It is also important to note that Eve is terrible, do not play it (excel spreadsheets in space).

Last edited by Bigtime; 12-16-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I don't know if they've improved Eve's initial learning curve, but it wasn't fun and I didn't last long. It's a tough game to get into with a nice support network.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

The game looked interesting to me. Tried out a 10 day free trial a while back but was so completley overwhelmed it never hooked me. I want to like this game but like you said, I think the learning curve would be to much for me. Maybe if I could get in with a group of newbies I'd do better. Just hard to learn such a complex game.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny you both should mention the Eve learning curve being ridiculously high. Here is a graph to illustrate:

I think had I not been a part of Goonwaffe I would have given up on the game as well. They take you in as a complete newbie, right into 0.0 space and give you mad ISK and pay you to throw frigate after frigate at the enemy. We also have our own awewsome forums, jabber channels and TS server for ops. Of course Goonwaffe has much stricter membership criteria than others, but they are awesome for supporting the newbs to this depressingly awful game.

I hear stories of pubbies and pubbie corps that slave away in high security space to make a few million. I can make 50+ million an hour ratting out NPC's in asteroid belts in our space. Very easy to get super rich and afford to throw more expensive ships at the enemy.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've been playing Eve when i have time for a couple months.

I have a mainly mining character whose in a retreiver right now, and training towards a Hulk. (Although i'll need a lot more cash to afford a hulk)

I have a secondary player i created on the "buddy system" still on trial who i'm trying to make more of a PVP character, but it's tough to figure out what skills to pick.

Haven't left high sec space yet, as i'm not really sure what to do, nor have i joined a corp with either character; still looking for one.

Its a fun game though, less of a time sink then when I tried out WoW. If i don't have time i just login and select a new skill, then logout till i have more time. Right now i pretty much login and do some mining when i have time, and pass some cash to my secondary player to buy skill books.

Any experienced guys advice is definitely welcome.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Space Spreadsheets has always been appealing to me, and I don't want my wife to leave me and my son to grow up fatherless, so I don't play.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would get into a corp that has some sovereignty in 0.0 space, I can't imagine spending all my time in hi-sec.

Playing the game solo just can't be fun, you need to be in a corp and go out on ops and roams and things like that to mix it up. You can't just shoot at space rocks all day, that's depressing.

Edit: Give me 200 million and I'll get you into Goonwaffe...
Old 12-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I would get into a corp that has some sovereignty in 0.0 space, I can't imagine spending all my time in hi-sec.

Playing the game solo just can't be fun, you need to be in a corp and go out on ops and roams and things like that to mix it up. You can't just shoot at space rocks all day, that's depressing.

Edit: Give me 200 million and I'll get you into Goonwaffe...

Haha, 200 million would take me like 50 hours to mine in high sec. Scordite isn't going to make me my money. Not to mention i need to save for Hulk.

Not sure why i'd pay for Corp when people are basically begging for miners.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, don't ever give someone money to join a corp.

So when you mine, do you just roll into a belt and push button and go afk for a bit?

One great scam was a corp member that approached a small corporation (~25 people) looking to rent space in 0.0 He convinced them to give him access to their corporation (roles) so that he could move their stuff to their new home in one of our systems via jump freighters. Then he led them up to the system (after informing a bunch of us where they would be, so they could be promptly destroyed upon reaching their new home). They were destroyed and all their corporation assets were now in Goonwaffe's hands, products were sold and given to the corp and many a good laugh was had.

Eve is cruel to those that are naive.

Last edited by Bigtime; 12-16-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

More Eve scams:

http://www.qj.net/mmorpg/news/bigges...e-history.html
Old 12-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, don't ever give someone money to join a corp.

So when you mine, do you just roll into a belt and push button and go afk for a bit?

One great scam was a corp member that approached a small corporation (~25 people) looking to rent space in 0.0 He convinced them to give him access to their corporation (roles) so that he could move their stuff to their new home in one of our systems via jump freighters. Then he led them up to the system (after informing a bunch of us where they would be, so they could be promptly destroyed upon reaching their new home). They were destroyed and all their corporation assets were now in Goonwaffe's hands, products were sold and given to the corp and many a good laugh was had.

Eve is cruel to those that are naive.
Pretty much. I don't really know what else to do.

I have my secondary character flying a Industrial ship so sometimes i'll bring him along to pull my cargo back to station as i've been screwed jerrycan mining a few times.

In fact once on my main i also had a cruiser and some guy in a frigate jacked my can, and i went and grabbed my cruiser and he killed me ridiculously easily...that was a cruel lesson learned : a better ship doesn't mean you'll win in a fight. This was at the time i was super poor and was mining in a cruiser with 3 miner 2's. I had 3 projectile turrets and a couple small launchers and he tore me apart in a frigate worth 1/50th of my ship.

Any ideas on good corps for newbies? Do all corps want miners?

edit: I can't afford another retreiver/strips/fittings so i can't afford to venture into low sec for better roids, so i pretty much have to mine scordite until i have more money / a corp to protect me.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #12
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have no idea what corps are good for newbies.

The jetcan trick got you good, did you engage him first after he stole your can? That is a classic setup to allow a kill in hi-sec space.

Right now I get most of my income by ratting Battleship spawns in belts, I'm using a Drake with T2 heavy missile launchers and ammo. It just chews through the spawns like a hot knife through butter (13,000 shield doesn't hurt either). I also have a bunch of frigates/cruisers for fleet ops, and a couple of Raven's kicking around just cause.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm training towards a Drake with my PVP character but it's awhile away due to money/skill constraints. He pretty much just trains and hauls for my main right now.

Right now i have 7 days till Hulk training is complete...after that i'll start training up so i can use the mining droids 2 at max efficiency so i can start maxing out my mining amount per cycle.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #14
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Have no idea what corps are good for newbies.

The jetcan trick got you good, did you engage him first after he stole your can? That is a classic setup to allow a kill in hi-sec space.

Right now I get most of my income by ratting Battleship spawns in belts, I'm using a Drake with T2 heavy missile launchers and ammo. It just chews through the spawns like a hot knife through butter (13,000 shield doesn't hurt either). I also have a bunch of frigates/cruisers for fleet ops, and a couple of Raven's kicking around just cause.
Yah, i was pretty new at the time...realized after it was a trick to get kills in high sec.

He stole my can...we chatted for a bit, he wanted 2 million for it (Which wasn't even in the can), i ran back to the station and switched my loadout in my cruiser to weapons and ran back and got torn apart.

Thank god i'd bought top of the line insurance for it, otherwise i would have been totally broke.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #15
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm grinding right now to learn all the skills to fly a fully-fit T2 Maelstrom BS. I figure I have about another month or so until that is complete. It's great timing since with the holiday season it is nice to set these long skills to train while you are away for the game for a bunch of time.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #16
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great.....I've been wanting to try out a new type of MMORPG and this is starting to really interest me again. I tried to get back into WoW but not sure that is going to do it for me. Spose there is nothing wrong with giving it a few months.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #17
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ya i've been having a blast with Eve. Its definitely a different game then something like WoW. You don't go on quests to get gear, you buy it (for crazy expensive prices) or you get someone to build whatever you need (ships/equipment etc.).

It doesn't have to be a time sink, because skills are selected based on time, not on how long you're in the game or how many kills you have, so if you only have 10 minutes for the whole week, just login select your skills and logout.

I still don't know pretty much anything about the game. I have no idea what happens in low-sec space (like can corps build space stations) or how to mine planets for minerals.

I'm actually pretty excited about the Dust game the creators of Eve are coming out with for console, where the planets in Eve are where you do battle in Dust and players in Eve can pay for players in dust to take enemy planets for them.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finner View Post
I still don't know pretty much anything about the game. I have no idea what happens in low-sec space (like can corps build space stations) or how to mine planets for minerals.
What happens in low-sec or 0.0 (lawless) space? Death, lots and lots of death:

https://killboard.goonfleet.com/battles/1903

What is that you are looking at? Oh just multiple billions of dollars in carriers and battleships we blew up the other day.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

K, I'm in. Hopefully join a decent corp this time and get more into the game. What's your handle, Finner, I'll try looking for you.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #20
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

You two should form the Calgarypuck corp.

Tags
fat bee best bee , goonwaffles , internet spaceships , pew pew pew