Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #21
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Telus BB user and I've never had any problems.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #22
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Cecil- is your BB CDMA or HSPA?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #23
Off The Crossbar
Farm Team Player

Exp:

My Telus iphone has been having problems all year at the dome. My wife had a CDMA blackberry curve and her phone worked with no issues. I just got her the new BB torch as an early christmas present (which is a 3G phone) and we were at the hitmen game on sunday and my phone didn't work, and hers worked perfectly!
Maybe it is a problem with iphones...

Last edited by Off The Crossbar; 12-16-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Off The Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #24
Scoopdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was at the Teddy bear toss on Sunday night in the lower bowl and my iPhone (Telus) worked fine. I was then at the Flames game on Monday night in the 200's and once again I had no issues with my phone.
Scoopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #25
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Ahh, the lower bowl. Where people don't go to watch hockey.
You'll be happy to know I texted away from the 300's against Columbus Monday too.
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #26
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am with Wind and have no problems with sending and receiving texts and using apps such as the score and twitter on my bb.
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:29 PM   #27
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

BB users won't have problems because you are on a different network using different frequencies, and possibly different towers. Telus' new HSPA network also shares towers with Bell further decreasing bandwidth.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:39 PM   #28
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
BB users won't have problems because you are on a different network using different frequencies, and possibly different towers. Telus' new HSPA network also shares towers with Bell further decreasing bandwidth.
co8uld be wrong but im fairly certain bell and telus share networks in canada
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:43 PM   #29
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post
co8uld be wrong but im fairly certain bell and telus share networks in canada
They share their new HSPA networks but their old ones are separate I think. The only question is whether or not HSPA towers were built at existing locations of CDMA towers within Calgary, but by its very nature CDMA signals will travel further from a given tower, hence the lack of problems with BB's in this thread.

CDMA devices = All Telus BlackBerry phones
HSPA devices = iPhones, HTC Desire, Milestone
Old 12-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #30
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

yeah they def share the new one but i think they share all networks. telus builds the infrastructure out here and bell piggybacks, and out east vice versa. could be wrong but i heard this a long long time ago back in CDMA days
Old 12-17-2010, 01:28 AM   #31
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Cecil- is your BB CDMA or HSPA?

CDMA

And I should qualify that by saying I only got my phone in June, with my old phone I definitely got good reception.

I've only been to 3 or 4 games this year so my sample size is small.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:43 AM   #32
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I checked this site and it's showing a Telus 1900 mhz tower within a block of the 'Dome. There are 2 Rogers towers next to the 'Dome, both with 850 mhz and 1900 mhz. Your phone can use either band, but the lower frequencies penetrate structures better and can travel further (hence Telus' use of mostly 850 mhz outside of Calgary), so I'd bet Rogers people get a lot better reception inside the building.

Same with McMahon; a duplex Rogers tower is literally next door, but the nearest Telus towers are a km or more away, and only 1900 mhz.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #33
Off The Crossbar
Farm Team Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=Acey;2847038]I checked this site and it's showing a Telus 1900 mhz tower within a block of the 'Dome. There are 2 Rogers towers next to the 'Dome, both with 850 mhz and 1900 mhz. Your phone can use either band, but the lower frequencies penetrate structures better and can travel further (hence Telus' use of mostly 850 mhz outside of Calgary), so I'd bet Rogers people get a lot better reception inside the building./QUOTE]

Maybe all of us Telus people should rally and complain about the reception in the dome. This map helps explain why in my seat I can't call/text/use the internet but when I head out to the concourse at intermission I start to receive texts and my phone works marginally better
Old 12-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #34
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just deal with the inferior reception to BB users. It's the price you pay for HSPA+. Try using a Desire Z on Telus... data is BLAZING fast.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #35
burning_acid1
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wind bb user - no reception problems at the dome surprisingly. I have full signal strength and can make calls/text/use data. It's weird - some friends are with Rogers, right next to me, and only have 3 bars.
burning_acid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:53 AM   #36
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burning_acid1 View Post
Wind bb user - no reception problems at the dome surprisingly. I have full signal strength and can make calls/text/use data. It's weird - some friends are with Rogers, right next to me, and only have 3 bars.
Not really weird; Wind would be a different tower, but more importantly different frequencies and a network that's probably has more bandwidth available.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #37
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

My iphone on Telus rarely works at Stamps games or Flames games. Hell, sometimes I notice it not working during rush hours and lunch hours downtown during weekdays, only to magically work in blazing fast speeds the second the Ctrain moves into a less dense area of the city. Clearly it's coorelated to higher density of people and Telus doesn't have the network capacity to sell many more 3G phones. I'm going to start complaining.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:51 AM   #38
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was an article saying that the network has pretty much reached capacity in Calgary, can't remember who wrote it, or if they sourced Telus info at all.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #39
Off The Crossbar
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
There was an article saying that the network has pretty much reached capacity in Calgary, can't remember who wrote it, or if they sourced Telus info at all.
That is bad news if they really have reached capacity. I got my iphone last November the first day they went on sale from Telus. The network was pretty fast at that time but I had a lot of reception issues and dropped calls. I hope they do some upgrading soon
Old 12-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #40
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

the more i ask telus iphone users about their experiecne hte more it sounds identical to mine on rogers. sometimes the internet is slow for no good reason on the train, sometimes i drop a call. i think people expect constant perfection with their cells and hvae unrealistic expectations. i havent called rogers once since getting my iphone despite a half dozen dropped calls and the internet cutting out here and there; it's like having a laptop on wifi with you. its not going to be 100% wherever you go