Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #41
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

What does a contact-free Galaxy S run in Canada?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #42
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
What does a contact-free Galaxy S run in Canada?
$499 from Bell.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #43
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by renny View Post
Oh one more thing to add, I love the fact that I can watch the HD version of youtube videos on the S over 3G. The iPhone on the other hand is nerf'd and you don't even get the option to choose the HD version. My thoughts, it's MY data plan, I should be allowed to watch HD if I feel like it.
Remedied by jailbreaking and using '3G Unrestrictor'.

But yes, having to jailbreak these phones to get functionality that seems obvious... beyond irritating. When I played with the Galaxy S the other day, the only thing I preferred about my iPhone was the predictive text, auto-correct and keyboard in general. The Android keyboard is definitely something I could get used to, however.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #44
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
That was my reaction to the Galaxy S as well. It's really light so it doesn't feel like an expensive device.
In theory light weight should be a beneift and the plastics these days in some ways are superior to metal but there is something comforting in something having a good weight to it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #45
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
In theory light weight should be a beneift and the plastics these days in some ways are superior to metal but there is something comforting in something having a good weight to it.
You might think lightweight is good... but for some reason I like the weightyness of the iphone. It just feels more solid and that it could take more of a beating. It's probably just personal preference.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #46
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

So the Galaxy S has been out for a while now.. (Bell, Rogers, and now Telus)

What do you guys think of it now?
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #47
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I heard the Bell version should be avoided because of bad flash memory.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #48
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I heard the Bell version should be avoided because of bad flash memory.

Yup...Anyone who upgraded to 2.2 has had their phone bricked, myself included. Those whose phones haven't bricked yet will eventually brick, its a ticking timebomb. Samsung has pulled the update since.

Now i get to deal with Samsung support, who i've called twice for the shipping papers and yet still over 48 hours haven't managed to email it to me. Not to mention expected time is 4 weeks for a new phone.

What a mess. On the plus side Bell gave me a Dext for free to use.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #49
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to love Samsung phones. I had a couple of flip phones years ago and they were better and longer lasting than any Motorolla, LG, Nokia I had. When I made the smartphone jump I went to the blackberry first, had the curve then the bold, and switced to the Iphone 4 about a month ago.

From what I have read on the Galaxy it is a very solid phone and I am not suprised. I would probably get the Galaxy if I was getting an android and think i would get an android before going back to blackberry. However I think I am officially an iphone guy now.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #50
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Yup, a different friend of mine has been through 2 now that have "bricked". I'm not so high on it now after my first impression.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #51
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got one of these a couple days ago through Rogers and it's pretty awesome. By far the best phone I've used.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #52
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I played with the phone for maybe one minute at the mall yesterday and I really liked that swipe text stuff. Too bad this is only a Bell phone (I think). If it was Rogers I think I would jump on the Android wagon.
You can use it on any Canadian or GSM network. I have one from T-Mobile in the US that I am running on Rogers.
Iceman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #53
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finner View Post
Yup...Anyone who upgraded to 2.2 has had their phone bricked, myself included. Those whose phones haven't bricked yet will eventually brick, its a ticking timebomb. Samsung has pulled the update since.

Now i get to deal with Samsung support, who i've called twice for the shipping papers and yet still over 48 hours haven't managed to email it to me. Not to mention expected time is 4 weeks for a new phone.

What a mess. On the plus side Bell gave me a Dext for free to use.
Patch is out with a SD driver fix (JL2) that will correct the 2.2 (JK4) and 2.1(JK2) SD card failing issues. Sadly it doesn't help people who already have the issue but Samsung has stated that they have instructed Bell to outright replace all phones with this issue IF they have stock. I've heard Bell is making people jump through hoops for this though. No wonder they got voted the worse customer service in Canada.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #54
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
You can use it on any Canadian or GSM network. I have one from T-Mobile in the US that I am running on Rogers.
A T-Mobile Vibrant? Why go without 3G when all 3 carriers here sell the phone with the correct frequencies?
Old 12-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #55
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not having copy and paste (unable to select text) has been a big downfall.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #56
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't used the phone in a while but I recall being able to select text on mine.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:25 AM   #57
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can copy and paste, just selecting text was difficult with 2.1, improved with 2.2 and fixed with 2.3. I'm still stuck with 2.2 unless I root and upgrade my phone. Who knows how long samsung will take
Old 12-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #58
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry, you're right, I should have clarified that there is no select text in email, twitter, facebook etc unless you use the web browser. other than that the phone is great.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #59
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Patch is out with a SD driver fix (JL2) that will correct the 2.2 (JK4) and 2.1(JK2) SD card failing issues. Sadly it doesn't help people who already have the issue but Samsung has stated that they have instructed Bell to outright replace all phones with this issue IF they have stock. I've heard Bell is making people jump through hoops for this though. No wonder they got voted the worse customer service in Canada.
Any idea who i contact for an outright replacement?
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 PM   #60
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finner View Post
Any idea who i contact for an outright replacement?
Just call Bell customer service or goto a bell store about this as far as I know... People on XDA forums have had luck with this.