Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The Canucks miss the playoffs.

"Hey Textcritic, what's 2+2?"

"Canucks miss the play-offs!"

I know the song is a favourite around here, but try playing a new one!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 10:16 PM   #62
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was originally a huge fan of the Hamonic aquisition, but the Hamonic we got was not the same Hamonic at the end of the contract, mostly due to injuries.

I hope the Nucks put him with Hughes-Hanifin was a new player when he got away from Hammer, like many times better.

Tanev is faster and smarter-I think he'll be a fan favorite in no time.

Last edited by Sandman; 01-12-2021 at 10:20 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:25 PM   #63
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post

Tanev is faster and smarter-I think he'll be a fan favorite in no time.

When you realize Hughes numbers were actually not that great with Tanev and were actually better with Myers:

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 01-12-2021, 10:30 PM   #64
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
When you realize Hughes numbers were actually not that great with Tanev and were actually better with Myers:
I wouldn't doubt it-Tanev is much more of a stay-at-home type, whereas Myers can play a more offensive role.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:45 PM   #65
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Again, except in the playoffs.

In the 3 series against Minnesota, St Louis, and Vegas the D combinations involving Hughes at 5 on 5 were:

Hughes/Tanev +4
Hughes/Stetcher even
Hughes/Myers -2
Hughes/Edler -2
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 11:03 PM   #66
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt it-Tanev is much more of a stay-at-home type, whereas Myers can play a more offensive role.

Actually, Myers assumed a defensive posture, he can just make a pass and skate still.

Using +/- as a means of figuring out who the player was better with is ridiculous. It's an outdated stat and meaningless without other numbers with it.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 01-12-2021, 11:17 PM   #67
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, Myers assumed a defensive posture, he can just make a pass and skate still...
If you were at all frustrated by Tanev's ability to skate and move the puck then Hamonic is going to drive you to drink in astonishing excess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 11:28 PM   #68
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, Myers assumed a defensive posture, he can just make a pass and skate still.

Using +/- as a means of figuring out who the player was better with is ridiculous. It's an outdated stat and meaningless without other numbers with it.
Over a long period of time, sure. But in a short playoffs having specific D pairs that were a net positive for goals versus a net negative seems kind of important.

But I guess having better advanced stats while actively hurting your team and losing close games is good too?
Old 01-12-2021, 11:36 PM   #69
14Roman14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Did not like that he sat out the playoffs last year when he was the exact player that would seem to be very useful in the playoffs and possibly could of helped the team win. Definitely not in his shoes though so can’t bark too loud as everyone needs to do what is best for them and their family.
Saying that, that was the only thing I could ever think of as a downside on him. Liked the way he played and put the team and his teammates first, liked the the way he carried himself, liked the way he helped people in the community so much. Hard nosed western Canadian who played the game the right way was glad he was a Flame. Wish him the best, except when he plays the Flames.
14Roman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 14Roman14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 11:50 PM   #70
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Flames fans can't believe he signed for so low while the rest of the league already knew he really wasn't that good of a player.
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:55 PM   #71
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
Flames fans can't believe he signed for so low while the rest of the league already knew he really wasn't that good of a player.
Maybe it was just because I was skimming the thread and not reading in-depth, but I didn't see anyone in here expressing surprise. I think most flames fans had come to the conclusion early last season.
I hope he does well there, but I don't think he has much left to give at the NHL level anymore. He could be a great mentor for younger guys though, as he seems like a great person.
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 11:58 PM   #72
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
If you were at all frustrated by Tanev's ability to skate and move the puck then Hamonic is going to drive you to drink in astonishing excess.

I wasn't. Hughes made it all inconsequential while Tanev gave him both a calming presence and a fearless warrior who would take a puck to the face if he had to to block the shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Over a long period of time, sure. But in a short playoffs having specific D pairs that were a net positive for goals versus a net negative seems kind of important.

But I guess having better advanced stats while actively hurting your team and losing close games is good too?

How many of the positives the got while Quinn and Tanev were on the ice because of Tanev being there? How many negatives were bad goals, forwards being donkeys or plays that the defensive pairing made no difference on? The issue with +/- in any length of time is that the numbers have no context other than "was on the ice for a goal"

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 01-13-2021 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:09 AM   #73
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
lol not the fact that he only wanted to play in the Western Canada right?

I don't know which insider said this, (probably Friedman) but Hamonic would've had more suitors if he didn't have that requirement.

the flames and the Canucks were the finalists to land him, I guess your GM thought he's still serviceable?
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:13 AM   #74
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Yes, I agree overall as not every + or - is equal due to many factors at play. But the overall differences in pairing does suggest something that shouldn't be outright dismissed either.

Likewise I would suggest that if a pairing has good advanced stats but still seems to be a poor combination when it comes to allowing more goals against, then the advanced stats might be misleading. I tend to think defensive defensemen like Hamonic get disproportionately hammered when it comes to advanced stats because of the nature of contributions.

Either way, the Tanev and Hamonic swap for the Flames and Canucks will be interesting to follow this year.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:13 AM   #75
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

He is serviceable. He just shouldn't be playing 20+ minutes a night.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 01-13-2021, 01:03 AM   #76
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, Myers has been cast as more of a defensive player, but he still has some of that offensive skill. As for Tanev not being able to skate or pass-that's just BS. He demonstrated some of those skills just the other night. He's always been talked about as being a good skater.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:12 AM   #77
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post
lol not the fact that he only wanted to play in the Western Canada right?

I don't know which insider said this, (probably Friedman) but Hamonic would've had more suitors if he didn't have that requirement.

the flames and the Canucks were the finalists to land him, I guess your GM thought he's still serviceable?
No, Treliving just put out the memo that the Flames were "interested" to motivate the Canucks to reel him in. Topped off his nuke job of the Canucks this offseason with a Trojan Hamonic.

And now he might play on the top pairing? It's even better than we thought.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:58 AM   #78
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad Hamonic was able to find a contract and still stay out West. Also glad it's not with us as he was barely borderline serviceable a lot of the time. He always reminded me of a student consistently getting 55% on his grades. Sure it's a pass, but...

That trade will go down as a flop. Character guy though for his teammates and the community. I know Canuck fans will love the person he is. Best of luck to him.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:31 AM   #79
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, Myers has been cast as more of a defensive player, but he still has some of that offensive skill. As for Tanev not being able to skate or pass-that's just BS. He demonstrated some of those skills just the other night. He's always been talked about as being a good skater.

Tanev's ability to skate is nothing compared to what it was years ago. His style of play has taken its toll on his body. His passing is also not the same as it used to be. Compared to Myers, at this stage, it's not close.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 01-13-2021, 03:20 AM   #80
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tanev's ability to skate is nothing compared to what it was years ago. His style of play has taken its toll on his body. His passing is also not the same as it used to be. Compared to Myers, at this stage, it's not close.
You mean the Myers who had a broken leg, and those surgeries to his knees and hips? My money is on Tanev to win that footrace....

Last edited by Sandman; 01-13-2021 at 03:27 AM.