Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2021, 08:28 AM   #61
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Maybe because I am more sensitive with the times. But man if there isn't some veiled/subtle/unconcious racism going on in some of these comments in this thread.

Would you guys be making similar comments if this player was say, a white guy with a drug or alcohol addiction?

Gambling addictions are no joke. Regardless of what you think of the player on the ice, this is still a guy who is struggling off the ice.

Some of the comments on here are downright ignorant.

People need to listen again, and many times, to the stories of Akim, Evander, Dumba, Iginla, et al, and the #### they went through growing up in hockey, their home lives, and realize that the sterilized version you think you know about them isn't who they are and what they've had to deal with.

Have a little compassion. Maybe the same compassion a few of you seem to have for Jack Johnson, a white guy. There is very little information about what is going on with Kane, but there is a lot of terrible conclusion jumping going on in this kinda gross thread.

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 01-12-2021 at 08:41 AM.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 08:30 AM   #62
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Maybe because I am more sensitive with the times. But man if there isn't some veiled/subtle/unconcious racism going on in some of these comments in this thread.
People are bemoaning his actions and past transgressions. I'd say that you are taking a leap.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chingas For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 08:38 AM   #63
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
People are bemoaning his actions and past transgressions. I'd say that you are taking a leap.
Is he taking a leap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Should have used a banana phone instead.....and kept his yap shut.

If this isn't racist then it's extremely stupid and was typed without any thought to the potential impact it might have.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 08:39 AM   #64
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Would you guys be making similar comments if this player was say, a white guy with a drug or alcohol addiction?

Gambling addictions are no joke. Regardless of what you think of the player on the ice, this is still a guy who is struggling off the ice.

LOL either you don't know about his Winnipeg days or you conveniently forgot they happened.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:42 AM   #65
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
LOL either you don't know about his Winnipeg days or you conveniently forgot they happened.
Please enlighten me. And enlighten me with facts and not conjecture and rumors.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:44 AM   #66
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Please enlighten me. And enlighten me with facts and not conjecture and rumors.
It's not my job to educate you. It's yours for gathering information before calling out other posters ignorant. There's plenty out there for you to learn about what a jerk he was in Winnipeg. His teammates hated him for crying out loud.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:46 AM   #67
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's not my job to educate you. It's yours for gathering information before calling other posters ignorant. There's plenty out there for you to learn about what a jerk he was in Winnipeg.
You referenced it, it's your job to back it up.

Or maybe you can't? And that's the issue?
Old 01-12-2021, 08:48 AM   #68
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not an issue and more that you can simply google yourself. I come to the hockey side to discuss hockey. You want to take it somewhere else that's fine but I'm not participating in that talk.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:48 AM   #69
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ith-teammates/
Race related? Or “this guy is a selfish ass” related?

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 01-12-2021 at 08:52 AM.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:48 AM   #70
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

People need to listen again, and many times, to the stories of Akim, Evander, Dumba, Iginla, et al, and the #### they went through growing up in hockey, their home lives, and realize that the sterilized version you think you know about them isn't who they are and what they've had to deal with.

Have a little compassion. Maybe the same compassion a few of you seem to have for Jack Johnson, a white guy. There is very little information about what is going on with Kane, but there is a lot of terrible conclusion jumping going on in this kinda gross thread.
Jack Johnson is an awful comparison. Not even worth talking about.

Better comparison would be Alex Burrows. Or Kesler. Or some other jerk. Sean Avery. If one of them came out and said they were broke, people would react the same as they are here.

Also, being broke is very, very different from alcohol and drug addictions. Gambling addictions are serious but I thought I read he only lost a couple mil gambling (allegedly)?

Either way, drugs and alcohol ruin your body very quickly. Gambling you can recover from and it doesn't kill your body, so they are understandably viewed with different severity.

Not only that but Kane declared bankruptcy. Many people don't understand that this doesn't automatically mean he's broke. Bankruptcy is very complicated in the US and this is probably a smart (but desperate) move in the long run.

Kane is going to be just fine financially IMO. As for any addictions he may have, I do feel bad for him if that's true. However, it doesn't make his obnoxious show of wealth and being an ####### for much of his career any less true.

That being said, is race a factor in some of these posts? I don't know. That's not something I can determine.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:49 AM   #71
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

You’ve read the Theo threads, right? This has nothing to do with race. Talk about ‘terrible conclusion jumping’.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 08:54 AM   #72
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe some people in here are racist, I don't know. This does not seem like racism to me though. Kane has acted like an entitled POS his whole career, specifically rubbing in people's faces the amount of money he makes (I'm assuming I don't need to reference this). So now he's having money trouble, and people are rightfully making fun of him. You reap what you sow.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 08:55 AM   #73
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
You’ve read the Theo threads, right? This has nothing to do with race. Talk about ‘terrible conclusion jumping’.
The Theo thread does not, in my opinion, contain as much bias and overt racism.

That thread is pretty bad though as well.

Maybe it's just me, but revelling in the pain and failure of a human beings off ice issues (when we honestly, do NOT have the whole story) is gross.

Anyways, I am a white guy, living in a small town in Northern Alberta who honestly isn't much of a social warrior and I think this thread is a bit over the line. Take what you will from that.

Carry on if you want, I just think some people in this thread need to look at why they are taking so much happiness that Evander Kane is struggling in life.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #74
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Is he taking a leap?

If this isn't racist then it's extremely stupid and was typed without any thought to the potential impact it might have.
Settle down...banana phone is more common that you think. Nothing racist.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #75
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

This may in fact, be the very first case I’ve ever witnessed, where people mocked a famous millionaire for squandering their money. Never happened before.

And yeah, there should be more room given to people with addictions. Get them some help. But holy crap, dropping “race” onto everyone who is participating in a conversation as old as money itself is completely ridiculous.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:01 AM   #76
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

This board isnt what it used to be.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:05 AM   #77
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
This board isnt what it used to be.
There's nothing wrong with being sensitive but maybe not the best to just act on that and call out posters as ignorant. We have had plenty of discussions about Kane before here and he's earned his reputation whether he was being a bad teammate, immaturely posing for photos with wads of cash, feeling he was so special he never had to pay for meals at Winnipeg restaurants, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 09:06 AM   #78
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This may in fact, be the very first case I’ve ever witnessed, where people mocked a famous millionaire for squandering their money. Never happened before.

And yeah, there should be more room given to people with addictions. Get them some help. But holy crap, dropping “race” onto everyone who is participating in a conversation as old as money itself is completely ridiculous.
Talking about race is always uncomfortable. And it is easy to get defensive about it.

I, a person who has no vested interest in the life of Evander Kane, who DOES have experience with family members with addictions issues (gambling, et al), sees an undercurrent in this thread that seems intolerant in a couple different ways.

Maybe you, as a person who wants to be open minded and fair, should take my comments at face value and evaluate rather than just getting defensive?

I have no real stake in this game. I am not trying to piss people off. I am commented on what I felt was and is going on in this thread.

If you want to get pissed off at what I said, maybe it's because you aren't open to that conversation. Which is fine. But ask yourself why you aren't? Instead of getting upset that it may need to happen. Because conversations on race and our society need to happen regularly, in my opinion.

Edit: I am responding directly to Scroopy, but am unfairly pigeon holing him with this reply. I haven't deleted because I believe that I made a mistake here and I apologize later. But I wanted to keep the original post up for clarity.

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 01-12-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:07 AM   #79
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Theo thread does not, in my opinion, contain as much bias and overt racism.

That thread is pretty bad though as well.

Maybe it's just me, but revelling in the pain and failure of a human beings off ice issues (when we honestly, do NOT have the whole story) is gross.

Anyways, I am a white guy, living in a small town in Northern Alberta who honestly isn't much of a social warrior and I think this thread is a bit over the line. Take what you will from that.

Carry on if you want, I just think some people in this thread need to look at why they are taking so much happiness that Evander Kane is struggling in life.
I think it's because he's behaved like a dickhead. Lots of easily googled references to this. If it happened to Avery or someone similar who is white, you'd see the exact same reaction. Do you think if Iginla was found to have a gambling problem that a bunch of people would be piling on and making fun of the guy? Or Chris Stewart, or Cheechoo, or Anson Carter? No, they wouldn't be because by all accounts these are decent human beings. Kane has brought this hate on himself... Can you not appreciate the irony of a guy who was flaunting his money all over the place now being bankrupt?
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:08 AM   #80
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Settle down...banana phone is more common that you think. Nothing racist.

I know what the Banana phone is, but evoking it in a thread about a black player is racist. What about that picture evoked Raffy? Does raffy sing about stacks of cash in vegas? Or gambling? Or debt?

Seriously, what the ####. I understand that perhaps it wasn't meant as a "oh haha look at that monkey with a banana phone" overt racist ####baggery, but this is still racism as it is casually dismissed as "nothing". It's really simple, don't make banana-monkey, slavery, cotton, or other historically charged related jokes about black people. End of ####ing discussion.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post: