Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2021, 04:40 PM   #21
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It's crazy to think that Andersson is 3 months older than Hanifin. We treat Andersson like a rookie with all the room for growth in the world. People generally see Hanifin as a vet who has reached his potential. It's pretty crazy.
The biggest issue, to me at least, is that Hanifin has been paid for the past 2 years not as an up and coming middle pairing d man but as a qualified middle pairing d man.

I don’t hate Hanifin, but I don’t think he is outperforming his contract either.
Owen15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Owen15 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 04:51 PM   #22
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the most baffling things to me is how fans think guys like Hanifin 'are what they are' at 24, simply because they were good enough at a young age to play in the NHL, but guys like Mackey at 24, are perceived to have nothing but upside.

It is one of the most bizarre fan quirks there is.

Giordano became a full time NHLer as a 25 year old. Brodie hit his stride as a 24 year old. Andersson continues to improve every year (he is 24).

But Hanifin is what he is. Okay then.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 04:55 PM   #23
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hanifin saying he wants to play more aggressive is great to hear. I have a strong belief that he will plus I think this is going to be a magical season for CGY.

I'm so pumped to see them reach the top of the mountain this year. I just see it.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:35 PM   #24
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Pair him with Tanev. Let him be aggressive. Worked for Hughes last year.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 05:42 PM   #25
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not really impressed by Hanifin. seems to be overplayed due to his tools, sort of like how Joe Colborne was.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:42 PM   #26
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m going to repeat this because it’s crazy to me and I think it could be a factor....this is the first time in Noah Hanifin’s career that he opens a season without Bill Peters as his head coach.

I also really think the Flames acquired Tanev with the hope that he would open things up for Hanifin like it did for Hughes in Vancouver.

Hughes and Hanifin had very similar results in the US Development program and NCAA but he’s never had that freedom to be an offensive dman at the NHL level .

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-11-2021 at 05:46 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:45 PM   #27
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Pair him with Tanev. Let him be aggressive. Worked for Hughes last year.
Hughes' results were SIGNIFICANTLY better away from Tanev than they were with Tanev.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:00 PM   #28
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm confident the coaches will put the best pairings together but from my simple outside pov:

I'd like to see Hanifin with Andersson. I think Rasmus has a certain swagger and that is going to help Hanifin achieve his stated #1 goal - be aggressive. Gio and Valimaki have that swagger too and I'd put Tanev with Gio and it looks like Nesterov to have those balanced pairings.

I'm not saying Hanifin doesn't have it, I'm saying Andersson's will rub off on Hanifin - I think they play very well together.

Gio - Tanev has a real dependable, tough minute shut down feel and Valimaki is going to be up the ice and making plays.

However I trust the coaches and the players too - I think CGY is full of great players so lots of options.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:09 PM   #29
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Hughes' results were SIGNIFICANTLY better away from Tanev than they were with Tanev.
Yup, I checked and you are right. I thought I had read that it went both ways but it looks like it was Tanev that really benefitted from that partnership.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 06:20 PM   #30
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Development is different player to player.. I think what you look for is progression more so than age. A 24 year old who gets better every year is more likely to improve than a 22 year old who hasn’t improved much year to year IMO. Of course like very rule there are exceptions.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:11 PM   #31
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
One of the most baffling things to me is how fans think guys like Hanifin 'are what they are' at 24, simply because they were good enough at a young age to play in the NHL, but guys like Mackey at 24, are perceived to have nothing but upside.

Giordano became a full time NHLer as a 25 year old. Brodie hit his stride as a 24 year old. Andersson continues to improve every year (he is 24).

Well Hanafin just had his least productive season since 2015-2016.
His point totals haven't really changed since 2017.
With no offensive profession over the past 3 years, it's fair to think Hanafin has hit a ceiling there.

But if you actually watch the team, you'll know that Hanafin doesn't get much powerplay time. So 30 points is actually pretty decent production for how he has been used.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him break the 40 point plateau at some point. But then again, I don't think there's a single defenseman in the NHL who was a first round pick and had their first 40+ point season after the age of 24. Trouba and McDonough were a tad younger.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 01-11-2021 at 09:22 PM.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:56 PM   #32
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am still unsure what he is, but I will say I thought he was obviously better without Hamonic, and that pairing just... wasn't good for Hanifin. I don't know why. But as soon as he plays with just about anyone else, his positioning seems better, his reads more accurate...

So I'm hoping for a much better season from him, and hope that he and Tanev can get along, and honestly I'm hoping that Raz can prop up Gio on the top line, because I think that's a legit worry this year.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:15 PM   #33
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO, Hanifin has the most upside of any of the Flames young D.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:45 PM   #34
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
IMO, Hanifin has the most upside of any of the Flames young D.
Valimaki for me. Seems a sure fire too pair guy within a few years.

That said, I like Hanifin as a good offensively contributing second pair guy.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:23 AM   #35
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

dp

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-12-2021 at 03:36 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:29 AM   #36
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm more than fine being patient with Hanifin. As you mentioned, Dmen historically hit their stride much later than forwards. Those Dmen that are impact players in their early 20s are the exceptions and not the norm. Hanifin might not hit his stride until his mid to late 20s. Is that something the franchise is willing to be patient with? Fans might not but I myself am more than willing to be patient in his development.

I'd like to see him get a bit more PP time too.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:34 AM   #37
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

The offensive numbers might not be there yet, but several posters have commented on how Hanifin has appeared to take another step. Darren Haynes adds this:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1355894591375851521

Still early but it’s nice to see how well he and Tanev have started the season as new D-partners. You never know how that will play out — I remember Brodie/Hamonic coming in and struggling all year. Both guys deserve a lot of credit.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2021, 10:54 AM   #38
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Not that I don't agree with your point, but Hanifan has also played almost 400 games. Gio at his age had only played a handful, Mackey none, and Andersson the vet with close to two hundred. It's kind of like we already know what's behind door number three and it's ok, but keep hoping doors one and two are Caddies, cash and trips to Hawaii!
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:12 AM   #39
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

He may not go ham on points, but him and Tanev together are wonderful. I'll say it every time we talk about the Flames defesemen, we finally have a cohesive well oiled top 6. Our only real concern will be how injuries affect the dynamic we have back there.

Add Markstroms ability to absolutely negate the flubs a d corps makes , makes this version of the Flames D doubly impressive.

Just wait until Vali and Nesterov settle in further and get more comfortable.

We would be splitting the finest of hairs complaining about these guys.

Our forwards still need work though. A lot of work.actually.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:16 AM   #40
Young Guns
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’d like to see him on the 2nd power play unit. He had about 30 seconds on it last night and really wanted to laser one at the net. Tired of watching Gio flick a softy into the goalies breadbasket to kill the momentum. Or watching them trying to get the puck into the other end on the power play is cringeworthy. The drop it all the way back to Gaudreau or whoever play needs to go. Gio Is awful at performing it, other teams have it figured out. Throw Hanifin out there and see what he’s got.

Last edited by Young Guns; 01-31-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Young Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Young Guns For This Useful Post: