Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2021, 10:31 AM   #61
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does someone have a definition or a link that explains the "taxi squad"? I'm starting to realize the upcoming season is going to be confusing if I don't know exactly what this term means.

nmd: https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...es-2021-season
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #62
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Another thing about Ryan being waived that bothers me is who’s gonna play with Bennett? He’s obviously the 4C... he’s not scoring with Nordstrom and Simon on his flanks
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:33 AM   #63
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Does someone have a definition or a link that explains the "taxi squad"? I'm starting to realize the upcoming season is going to be confusing if I don't know exactly what this term means.
AHL team that travels with the NHL teams. 6 players that are treated exactly like AHL call ups.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:34 AM   #64
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

nmd: https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...es-2021-season
Taxi squad is handled the same way sending someone to the AHL is, just with the team so they can be recalled easily.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:35 AM   #65
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I think of this, the more I dislike it. Both Ryan and Kylington should not be on waivers. Both players, at different stages of their careers, are good NHL'ers. If someone claims Kylington, I believe he'll thrive. Any rebuilding team would be smart to take Ryan - because they'll have a good player who they'll be able to flip for a pick or two at the deadline.

I fail to see the master plan at this stage. If it's just about recouping a few thousand dollars a day while they toss Ryan/Kylington onto the taxi squad, I think the risk is greater than the benefit.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:36 AM   #66
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
It’s a group of players that are staying with the NHL club so they can be recalled instantly. They travel with the team. But for all purposes they are considered AHL players.

So they stay with the team and travel and if you need a player to get called up they are there and don’t require quarantine.

However if you want to put Derek Ryan on it they need to clear waivers just like going to the NHL.

There is also some cap relief, in that you can carry a 20 man roster on off days and call up from the taxi squad on game days. As cap space is counted daily.
stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #67
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch the Oilers pick up Kylington
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #68
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

For anyone who doesn't know, if a team claims someone like Kylington he's going to have to play on their main roster. They can't assign him to their taxi squad without exposing him to waivers again. In that case Calgary could re-claim Kylington

I don't expect a lot of waiver claims to happen. A lot of bottom line guys with bigger contracts like Ryan will be waived today for cash savings thought the season, the taxi squad doesn't count towards the cap
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #69
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
Another thing about Ryan being waived that bothers me is who’s gonna play with Bennett? He’s obviously the 4C... he’s not scoring with Nordstrom and Simon on his flanks
Being waived does not prevent Ryan from playing unless claimed.

The Flames are only going to carry 12 F's for now, so someone has to be sent down to make that happen. Derek Ryan is a logical choice because of his cap hit.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:38 AM   #70
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
The more I think of this, the more I dislike it. Both Ryan and Kylington should not be on waivers. Both players, at different stages of their careers, are good NHL'ers. If someone claims Kylington, I believe he'll thrive. Any rebuilding team would be smart to take Ryan - because they'll have a good player who they'll be able to flip for a pick or two at the deadline.

I fail to see the master plan at this stage. If it's just about recouping a few thousand dollars a day while they toss Ryan/Kylington onto the taxi squad, I think the risk is greater than the benefit.
Agreed, 100%

Irksome if it's a risk they took just to save what amounts to a small amount of cash.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:39 AM   #71
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington deserves better than he’s been given from this org.

Hopefully he doesn’t get claimed, but even if so, he probably won’t see any ice this year anyways.

Good job wasting picks on Fantenberg and Gustafsson.

Hopefully he goes out East if he does get claimed.

Also, Ryan is a good player and should be a lock for top 12 forwards as well.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:39 AM   #72
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ryan makes sense to me due to the cap implications.

Kylington does not.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:39 AM   #73
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Exactly what its about....and most teams will be doing the same thing.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:39 AM   #74
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

In a logical world, they really should because that blueline is going to be terrible.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #75
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Shut up! Just shut up!

(Actually I'm not nearly as attached to Kylington as some here)
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #76
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
I dont know. Simon is a playmaker. If he can get Bennett the puck in front of the net, it can work. Thats a heavy and fast line if thats how they roll it.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:41 AM   #77
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Agreed, 100%

Irksome if it's a risk they took just to save what amounts to a small amount of cash.
If the plan is to hope that Ryan is picked up, and that the Flames then turn around and spend a giddy fortune of futures on Dubois or something...cool!

...but that seems beyond the realm of possibilities. I don't like it. What's the end game if Ryan is claimed? Save some cap-space so that we can then spend futures at the deadline to fill the spot Ryan would have had? Or Kylington?
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:43 AM   #78
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If the plan is to hope that Ryan is picked up, and that the Flames then turn around and spend a giddy fortune of futures on Dubois or something...cool!

...but that seems beyond the realm of possibilities. I don't like it. What's the end game if Ryan is claimed? Save some cap-space so that we can then spend futures at the deadline to fill the spot Ryan would have had? Or Kylington?
They are probably comfortable with Tkachuk, Lindholm, Dube, Gaudreau, Monahan, Leivo, Mangiapane, Backlund, Simon, Lucic, Bennett and Nordstrom as their top 12 forwards.

I’m pissed about Kylington tho.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:45 AM   #79
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why not simply keep Kylington on the main roster as the 7th defesemen instead of exposing him when someone like Mackey does not require waivers? It's poor asset management. Kylington has not even had an opportunity to play at camp.

Treliving has continually and needlessly thrown away draft picks to bring in borderline depth defensemen each season at the deadline (which has ironically pushed Kylington out), yet has no problem giving up on cheap, young, and capable NHL depth in Kylington and Kulak. Headscratching.
HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:47 AM   #80
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

They're clearly very high on Mackey as he makes more than Kylington, too. Saving money seems to be a concern but it costs them more to keep Mackey. Unless I'm missing something.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote