Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2021, 10:21 AM   #41
Journey17
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think Ryan move is partially linked to maximizing use of the taxi squad for cap purposes. Early on we have a 5 day break where we can get significant savings by having Ryan on the taxi squad. Hailey over at the Athletic had an article with different players but same idea - https://theathletic.com/2311661/2021...ad-salary-cap/

Ryan isn't getting claimed at his salary so this is a smart move by the flames, especially if they are auditioning Pelletier or someone else at the start of the season. For Bennett fans, this has to be a win. Maybe also Nordstrom as a PKer. Very short on RH shots though, especially centers.
Journey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:21 AM   #42
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Kylington will be claimed, and if he is good for him. He deserves a fair crack and I don't think it's going to happen here. Nesterov and Mackey have jumped over him, and there are other young D to fill following them. People who invoke the regret of Byron and Kulak don't seem to realize that both those players are now underperforming bigger contracts than they deserve while having not actually contributed meaningfully to winning rosters since we lost them...
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #43
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ryan on waivers is all about $$$ in my opinion. He is a valuable player but his cap hit is high for his place in the hierachy and he can likely be replaced with a much cheaper player if he is claimed. My guess is his contract dollars scares away any potential claims.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #44
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I get exactly how the taxi squad works; it just puzzles me why the Flames would have any desire to put Ryan there.

They can easily fit a 22-man roster under the cap; waiving Ryan doesn't really free up much cap room at all and it causes them to lose their best bottom-six forward either to the taxi or to another team. I'm not sure if the paper transaction element of being able to send Ryan down on off days really counts for much.

Honestly baffled.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #45
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
What happens to Ryans cap hit after he clears waivers?
I believe you essentially save a million against the cap. There is a limit in which the cap is effected by sending a player down.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #46
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont like exposing Kylington this way but I've said from the onset that Nesterov was the lock at 6. And it seems they like Mackey more. So there's your 7 d men.

Ryan is an odd one for me as well. I'm sure he will get claimed. RHS center who's a solid defender. My previous post pointed to Ottawa and thats my bet.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:23 AM   #47
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Jersey could be a home for Ryan too.

They really need centers and NHL forwards. Would be smart move to pick him up, play him more minutes than he probably should be playing, pump up his stats a bit, and them move him as a UFA at the deadline for a free asset.

Unfortunate because I think he's good and plays a big role in making our bottom 6 effective.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:24 AM   #48
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I get exactly how the taxi squad works; it just puzzles me why the Flames would have any desire to put Ryan there.

They can easily fit a 22-man roster under the cap; waiving Ryan doesn't really free up much cap room at all and it causes them to lose their best bottom-six forward either to the taxi or to another team.

Honestly baffled.
It can free up a lot of cap room, there’s like zero chance he gets claimed, and it give the team a lot of flexibility.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:25 AM   #49
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Putting Derek Ryan on waivers is extremely stupid. I have no idea what they're doing.

If you take your heart out of it, he can be replaced by a player who makes a lot less money. You can argue advanced stats, but at the end of the day his minutes a night can be replaced at a fraction of the cost.

Ryan won't be claimed anyways, so it's moot.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #50
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Stone ahead of Kylington.

Time is a flat circle.
Wrong. Stone doesn’t even have a contract with the Flames. Nesterov and Mackey before Kylington it seems
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #51
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think both Ryan and Kylington have a good chance of being claimed.

There are 30 other teams and they aren’t all cap strapped so Ryan could catch their eye.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #52
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trading Ryan for 3mil in cap space might not be the worse thing to happen.
If he doesn't clear we get cap flexibility. If he does clear we get roster flexibility.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #53
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Wes Gilbertson
@WesGilbertson
·
7m
#Flames reportedly on waivers today — D Oliver Kylington, C Derek Ryan, RW Zac Rinaldo.

All destined, presumably, for taxi squad or Stockton. The fact that Ryan is on waivers hints to me that Flames plan to carry only 12 forwards on active roster, use taxi squad for spares.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:27 AM   #54
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They can easily fit a 22-man roster under the cap; waiving Ryan doesn't really free up much cap room at all and it causes them to lose their best bottom-six forward either to the taxi or to another team. I'm not sure if the paper transaction element of being able to send Ryan down on off days really counts for much.

Honestly baffled.
Well then it probably has something to do with his conditioning, or quality of play. Every year past 30 in the NHL makes your odds longer and longer. If they have a younger, faster, stronger, meaner player in mind then he should get the spot.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:27 AM   #55
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

The waiver wires going to be insane today, I think it's going to be the biggest waiver day in NHL history
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:27 AM   #56
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Wrong. Stone doesn’t even have a contract with the Flames. Nesterov and Mackey before Kylington it seems
That he hasn't been released from his PTO, or signed and waived instead, makes me believe the Flames value him above Kylington.

But I think he clears anyway.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #57
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
The waiver wires going to be insane today, I think it's going to be the biggest waiver day in NHL history
Exactly.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #58
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gonna be pissed if Ryan is claimed.

The roster was looking perfect as is. Don't need that depth weakened any with how many man games are likely to be missed with all the factors playing in this season.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:31 AM   #59
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Stone ahead of Kylington.

Time is a flat circle.
Stone is still on a PTO. There's no guarantee he is even signed to a contract. If/when he is, he'll almost-certainly go on waivers and be assigned to the taxi squad.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:31 AM   #60
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I think both Ryan and Kylington have a good chance of being claimed.

There are 30 other teams and they aren’t all cap strapped so Ryan could catch their eye.
No there isn't.

There might be 8 teams in the league that could realistically add him without having to make a separate move to free up cap room for him.

You are going to be seeing more of these kinds of names on waivers the next little while.