Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2021, 09:04 PM   #81
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dave Randorf the new commentator for the Lightning.

Good riddance. His breakup with Brock Boeser and McDavid must have been emotional.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 09:20 PM   #82
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Since we are all whining about who we dont like, I think Wills and Loubardias are horribad, with Wills being the most horrible.

If you watch the game synced with the radio you really see how bad he actually is.

Ball is easily one of the best. I remember watching him do some games in the playoffs for a Carolina series a couple of years ago. You would have thought he called Carolina games for years. Rick Ball is a pro, we are lucky to have him.
Agreed I absolutely can’t stand Wills. I never listen to the radio broadcast but I do listen to the Fan and am not a fan of his takes and the sound of his voice. He is brutal and it sucks he is sticking around.

Also agree on Ball who I think is a National level broadcaster who we are lucky to have in Calgary
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:54 PM   #83
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Agreed I absolutely can’t stand Wills. I never listen to the radio broadcast but I do listen to the Fan and am not a fan of his takes and the sound of his voice. He is brutal and it sucks he is sticking around.

Also agree on Ball who I think is a National level broadcaster who we are lucky to have in Calgary
Going from Peter Maher all these years, it's hard to replace someone as legendary as him. But put me in the camp that's not a fan of Wills calls either. But I don't listen to the radio for games, so it doesn't effect my enjoyment of the Flames at all.

I actually wonder how many people listen to the radio for sports these days with every game being available on TV now? I wonder if we're getting close to the point that radio specific commenting teams will be eliminated from sport broadcasting deals, and it's just TV broadcast audio only for radio streams?
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:05 AM   #84
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Going from Peter Maher all these years, it's hard to replace someone as legendary as him. But put me in the camp that's not a fan of Wills calls either. But I don't listen to the radio for games, so it doesn't effect my enjoyment of the Flames at all.

I actually wonder how many people listen to the radio for sports these days with every game being available on TV now? I wonder if we're getting close to the point that radio specific commenting teams will be eliminated from sport broadcasting deals, and it's just TV broadcast audio only for radio streams?
people working and driving will have the radio on...I'm sure they get good ratings for games.

Wills is decent IMO

Last edited by dino7c; 01-08-2021 at 01:07 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:04 AM   #85
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hrudey might be a homer, but he's our homer. I also like his flashbacks to his playing days and the stories he tells. And nothing more to say about Bell; he's the best IMO.

They are both a great tandem and we are lucky to have them.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 06:40 AM   #86
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Cuthbert. Hughson the 5pm MT games.
Corrected for the proper timezone, ET is so 80s.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:17 AM   #87
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Hrudey might be a homer, but he's our homer. I also like his flashbacks to his playing days and the stories he tells. And nothing more to say about Bell; he's the best IMO.

They are both a great tandem and we are lucky to have them.
One my my favorite things about Hrudey is when he is on the panel for HNIC he often discusses the flames and compares them to other teams because he watches so much of them. I like how he can sneak a flames reference in when discussing a completely different game.

He triggers Oilers fans a lot to which I like
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 07:22 AM   #88
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
I'm torn between my desire to watch the Flames and my resistance to paying for really poor quality streaming from SN Now.

I'm not asking for 4K but a solid 1080p stream would be worth the money. You don't get that from the Flames broadcasts right now.
Why not 4k? TSN broadcasts ALL of the Leaf home games they have rights to in 4k.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:37 AM   #89
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Why not 4k? TSN broadcasts ALL of the Leaf home games they have rights to in 4k.
Toronto gets 4k for all their teams because Rogers and Bell are willing to invest the money for the equipment for that market. Let's also not forget the Toronto market TV providers actually offer 4k. Out west the largest cable provider is trying it's hardest to pretend 4k doesn't exist so I can kind of understand why Rogers wouldn't invest in the equipment when only one of the TV providers could take advantage of it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:34 AM   #90
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus, lets just be (foolishly) optimistic that the Flames broadcasts can actually be in 1080p finally.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 03:14 PM   #91
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Hrudey because sometimes you feel like you are just sitting there having a beer with him. Between him and Ball, they genuinely sound like buddies.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #92
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Toronto gets 4k for all their teams because Rogers and Bell are willing to invest the money for the equipment for that market. Let's also not forget the Toronto market TV providers actually offer 4k. Out west the largest cable provider is trying it's hardest to pretend 4k doesn't exist so I can kind of understand why Rogers wouldn't invest in the equipment when only one of the TV providers could take advantage of it.
They also do all of TSN Jets Home games in 4k
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:34 PM   #93
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Changes coming to Oilers broadcasts for this year. Curious to see what happens there.
Jack Michaels on Play by Play and DeBrusk full time colour now. Quinn and Remenda done.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 05:17 PM   #94
skeena1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Rumor is there could be localized broadcasters for each city (at least for those with sportsnet as their local broadcaster). National broadcasts will be the 'local' city crew..

I don't think we will see much in the way of travel for this year for play by play teams.
With only a few exceptions, the team's regular play by play guys will call ALL their regional games. So if Calgary is in Vancouver, Ball and co. will call the game from the booth in Calgary. The exception might be Flames-Oilers games. Not sure why that would be any different.
skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:35 PM   #95
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Jack Michaels on Play by Play and DeBrusk full time colour now. Quinn and Remenda done.
Wow, I wonder why they’re getting rid of Quinn?

I’ve found Michael’s extremely annoying whenever I’ve listened to CHED. The way he says “the OILERS radio network” is unbearably stupid.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:55 PM   #96
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Oh no! What will happen to.... “CANNER MCDAAAAVID OVERTIIIIIIME WINNER!!”

It’s going to be awkward when he drops McDavid’s name every other sentence when he’s doing other broadcasts.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #97
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Athletic released the results from their 2021 NHL broadcast poll today. The Flames' broadcast rose from 25th to 24th and the reasoning was pretty much the same as last year:
- Ball is a star.
- Leslie is great.
- Francis is horrible.
- Hrudey and Campbell-Pascall are loved by some and hated by others with their detractors pointing out neither adds useful insight.
- Both Flames fans and neutral fans ranked the Flames 25th. Consistency!

Pretty much bang-on, in my opinion. Get Ball a competent colour commentator and turf Francis and the Flames would have a top tier broadcast - aside from production quality. Protect Ball at all costs though.

The 2021 NHL broadcast rankings: The best and worst markets to watch the games/

Spoiler!

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2021, 11:37 AM   #98
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not too shocking, I don't think anyone likes Francis, pretty sure that includes the team. No idea how he keeps his job, maybe he works for free?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:38 PM   #99
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

I wonder how many panago and telus ads this cost?

Sportsnet Canada is the worst broadcast quality ever. Amateur
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:25 PM   #100
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

PBP guy is the most important figure

And Ball 'is a star'

So that makes the 25th ranking seem a bit odd to me
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: