Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 12-22-2020, 09:01 PM   #21
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have they considered using any newfangled technology that could easily detect this, so there is no gray area? Probably not, since it's the NHL.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:12 PM   #22
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

No, but they have considered newfangled advertising on helmets.

A bit off topic but it’s new too and I didn’t feel like starting a thread. Or looking to see if one was started.

https://torontosun.com/sports/traiko...ok-for-the-nhl

Quote:
While the two bubbles in Toronto and Edmonton were a successful means in staging the Stanley Cup playoffs last summer, they ended up costing teams a ton of money.
TV revenue alone is not enough to sustain a league that is driven by gate receipts. Even with limited seating in Arizona and other states, such as Florida, the hope is that eventually all 31 teams will be able to welcome some fans into the building before the end of the season.

It’s why Forbes Magazine announced last week that franchise values had decreased. It is also why the NHL is now allowing teams to put advertisements on the players’ helmets. The Washington Capitals announced Capital One as their “season-long official helmet entitlement partner,” while the New Jersey Devils decided on Prudential Financial.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:13 PM   #23
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Thanks for the clarification — is that title better?
Yes. Nailed it. Sorry for being snarky. Shovelled too much snow today.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:14 PM   #24
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

No worries.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:15 PM   #25
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Have they considered using any newfangled technology that could easily detect this, so there is no gray area? Probably not, since it's the NHL.
I thought they were testing radar like they use in tennis for goals, but not sure where that ended up.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:19 PM   #26
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
No, but they have considered newfangled advertising on helmets.

A bit off topic but it’s new too and I didn’t feel like starting a thread. Or looking to see if one was started.

https://torontosun.com/sports/traiko...ok-for-the-nhl
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=181645
Old 12-22-2020, 09:21 PM   #27
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Oh yeah, thanks. Missed that!
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:31 PM   #28
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This was such a stupid rule.

Enter the offensive zone but dont skate! Glide into it! Thank god this is over with.

One of the dumbest rules ever.
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:03 PM   #29
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good.

Now put a time limit on replays - if you can’t tell within 30 seconds looking at slo motion HD video whether or not a call is correct, you should defer to the call made by the professionals you appoint to make those calls on the ice.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:53 AM   #30
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Good.

Now put a time limit on replays - if you can’t tell within 30 seconds looking at slo motion HD video whether or not a call is correct, you should defer to the call made by the professionals you appoint to make those calls on the ice.
The rule change is going to speed offside reviews up big time. The linesmen won't have to deliberate if the skate was on the ice at the moment the puck crossed the line, only if the skate was over the line. Trying to determine if the player was in contact with the ice is what took the most time.

Biggest problem is the duality that the blueline is in hockey. Gaining the zone it's the forward/attacking edge that matters. Once the puck is in the zone it's the back/defending edge that matters.

This duality is different than most other sports; you are either in or out, never both. For football out of bounds is the sideline; step on it you are out. For tennis and baseball, hit the line and it's in.

For hockey, it depends.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:24 AM   #31
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I assume all rink will or do have blue line cameras aligned with both the front of the blue line as shown in the rule change video, because otherwise this will create some review nightmares (similar to the ambiguity in high-sticking reviews, or 2004). Presumably there's going to be at least an unwritten rule not to kick back when entering the zone or it will be a player safety issue.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:27 AM   #32
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Every time they tweak offsides all I can think about is 'why is this still a thing?!?!?!'

Offsides in both soccer and hockey seems so useless. It creates artificial choke points that prevent offense. While I know as an American it may seem cliche to use football as an example (I am not that big of a fan actually) but its not like there is any rule that says you can't throw the ball past 15 yards. Or that you cant throw the ball behind where a defender is. The defense covers the entire playing surface.

Happy to listen to counter arguments. I am thinking one solid reason would be without the blue lines there might be too much speed and dangerous collisions could become more common. But I somewhat dismiss that as right now so many of the big hits and dangerous collisions happen because of people trying to get across the blue line into the zone.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 07:43 AM   #33
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
...I guess this means instead of dragging your skate at the blue line we will start seeing figure skating moves with a leg stretched back in the air crossing the blue line?
I doubt it. It is still much easier to skate with both feet on the ice.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 08:19 AM   #34
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now if only Sportsnet could figure out how to stop a replay on the proper frame. There's two frames that matter. The frame where the player was over the line. The frame where the puck was over the line. Stop on the one that came first, instead of looping 5 seconds over and over trying to judge what was first while the replay is playing.

They have a photo finish in the 100 meter dash. They don't loop the last few seconds over and over to determine who crossed the line first.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #35
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They need to have the blue line cameras recording at like 120fps. It would solve so many issues. So often the jump between one frame and the other is so large they’re calculating or guessing in their heads.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #36
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything and anything should be challengable. Each team gets 1.

Ruling overturned - team keeps challenge

Inconclusive - team loses challenge (ruling on ice stands)

Ruling confirmed - team loses challenge and 2 minute penalty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #37
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I also believe it should be the front foot. And it should either the puck or the front foot just touching the line to be in the zone, not across the line.

I've never understood why the puck has to clear the entire blue line to be considered out, and then have to clear the entire blue again to be considered in. The width of blue line should always be "in the zone." Like the goaline in football is always part of the endzone, and the goal line in soccer or hockey is never part of the goal.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #38
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sensors in the boards, transmitter in the puck, transmitters in the player's skates. Computer calls offside.

Also, I thought the experiment years back with the two-foot wide blue lines was cool. Increase the size of all three zones without changing the size of the rink.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:00 PM   #39
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Now if only Sportsnet could figure out how to stop a replay on the proper frame. There's two frames that matter. The frame where the player was over the line. The frame where the puck was over the line. Stop on the one that came first, instead of looping 5 seconds over and over trying to judge what was first while the replay is playing.

They have a photo finish in the 100 meter dash. They don't loop the last few seconds over and over to determine who crossed the line first.
Plus, all of the recorders should be time-synched so they can easily switch between camera angles at the exact same frame. Sometimes, one camera has a perfect view of the puck but an unclear view of the player while another camera has a great view of the player but not the puck.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:22 PM   #40
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m still and will forever be on the side wanting absolutely no challenges whatsoever, but this is a start.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote