Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #21
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Hockey Guy made a video about this earlier today:

Looks like Dube, Kylington or Bennett might have to be claimed in a worst case scenario.
But since Rittich is a UFA after this season, it seems less likely that he'd be claimed.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #22
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Giordano or Backlund. Two horrible contracts moving forward.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #23
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Only gets worse implies it's already bad.
No doubt his performance will decline, but right now he's been a very consistent two way player and the decline has yet to start.

I get the risk as the deal plays out. But I don't understand the perception from some that it's already a bad deal.
My point is that we have already enjoyed the best years of that contract. In the economics of the time it was a fine deal, but things change over time as well as a players ability.

We are in a position where next year it is likely that the cap goes down, that in combination with Backlunds inevitable decline ( not saying he sucks or sucked or whatever else you are projecting, Backlund up to this point has been a fine 2c) will make that tough money to pay someone, who after next season, should be deployed as a third line center. If the Flames have to lump the bad cap for the last two years on the contract then that is fine, but if they don't via the expansion draft then it is not a negative, and it should help the team readjust their top 6 to compete for more than 1st round exits.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:42 PM   #24
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Tanev, probably, based on salary and term vs. value to the team. Next year is huge though. I am not fully on board with Kylington, so I wouldn't be heart broken if he gets picked, unless he shows serious improvement next year.
He has to play to improve.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #25
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

If all players perform and produce at the same level as last season, there is no way not to protect Dube and Mangiapane. So it will be a toss up to use the last forward protection slot on Backlund or Bennett. Given the age and the amount of money he makes, I will leave Backlund exposed.

For defence, I am actually surprised to find out that Kylington played 48 games last season. Given that, I would leave him exposed and protect Tanev. If Kylington got picked by Seattle, we hope that one of Mackey/Poolman/Yelesin can break into the lineup. You definitely won't use the slot to protect Gio.

Who I really want to Seattle to pick from the Flames - Big Save Dave. Unfortunately there is no room for Rittich at the net here in Calgary, and I think he would do well in a new team.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #26
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I was Seattle, I'd consider Kylington. I think he has potential to be a 2nd pairing D; but hasn't been given enough opportunity to play here to iron out the weaknesses in the defensive side of his game.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #27
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

Looks like Dube, Kylington or Bennett might have to be claimed in a worst case scenario.
But since Rittich is a UFA after this season, it seems less likely that he'd be claimed.
I don’t see how Dube is exposed? Almost no chance of that happening.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:48 PM   #28
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post

Backlund’s contract seems like fair value... pretty consistent with other contracts for similar players I believe. Only 2 years left on the Gio contract and he’s likely a 2-3 D-man during that time... so really neither contract are that bad. With that said, I’d prefer Seattle to pick one of them because I’d rather get younger than older.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #29
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Easiest question of the week. Giordano.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #30
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Giordano or Backlund for sure (ie. both exposed).

Not sure how much value you want to put on their intangibles, but from a pure hockey ability perspective it's a no-brainer.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 07:25 PM   #31
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
My point is that we have already enjoyed the best years of that contract. In the economics of the time it was a fine deal, but things change over time as well as a players ability.
I think that's debatable. Backlund was on his way to a career year before the stoppage; I see no reason why he won't be just as good for at least one more season

Quote:
We are in a position where next year it is likely that the cap goes down, that in combination with Backlunds inevitable decline ( not saying he sucks or sucked or whatever else you are projecting, Backlund up to this point has been a fine 2c) will make that tough money to pay someone, who after next season, should be deployed as a third line center...
Explain. Why "should" Backlund be playing on the third line in 2021?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #32
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giordano for me. Simply because of his age. Losing a guy so close to retirement doesn't hurt much.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 07:57 PM   #33
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The correct answer is Seattle makes a paper work error and picks a pending UFAs in the AHL. So Robinson, Petrovic, or Dominigue.

Losing Ryan is acceptable but also maybe not too realistic. Yeah Seattle can pick 10 UFAs and Ryan makes sense, being local and centre as the weakest position in the draft, but nothing stops Seattle from picking another player then signing Ryan anyways. Unlike when Vegas picked Engelland the Flames actually have some good depth to choose from.

Realistically it comes down to Gio, Backlund, Bennett, or Kylington. Will need this season to see if veterans regress or youth takes the next step.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:11 PM   #34
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
He has to play to improve.
He has...it didnt go as wished..
Old 11-12-2020, 08:53 PM   #35
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post

Gio is a year removed from a Norris trophy. He had an off year. Most of the team had an off year, but he’s still the best D on the roster, by a lot.

He hasn’t become Jack Johnson.

Backlund has 4 years left on his deal - he was more productive this season than he was last. Maybe his contract will be a problem one day, but let’s see an actual decline first.

Besides, the only centre could we have acquired who’s as good as Backlund, who makes $5.3M, without giving up a 1st + + is Michael McDoesntexist.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:20 PM   #36
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Giordano or Backlund for sure (ie. both exposed).

Not sure how much value you want to put on their intangibles, but from a pure hockey ability perspective it's a no-brainer.
I kind of irrationally want both of them to retire Flames, regardless of how poor it would be in terms of asset management.

Long careers on one team are so rare these days. But teams with that sort of continuity earn respect.

As far as I know, I don't think any of the Canadian teams have players that have been with their organization as long as Gio has. Price comes close. Backlund might be next?
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:40 PM   #37
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

there is zero chance Lucic doesn't waive his NMC. he won't be picked by Seattle anyway, so refusing to do so just ####s over his own team.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:50 PM   #38
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

A player not currently on the roster.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:51 AM   #39
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Am I correct in thinking that Backlund has a NTC, rather than a NMC, which is why he can be exposed?

In answer to the question, I would lose Gio.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:31 AM   #40
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Gio is a year removed from a Norris trophy. He had an off year. Most of the team had an off year, but he’s still the best D on the roster, by a lot.

He hasn’t become Jack Johnson.

Backlund has 4 years left on his deal - he was more productive this season than he was last. Maybe his contract will be a problem one day, but let’s see an actual decline first.

Besides, the only centre could we have acquired who’s as good as Backlund, who makes $5.3M, without giving up a 1st + + is Michael McDoesntexist.
Sure Gio is a year removed from a Norris. But counting on a 37 year old to rebound to that level at his age is a fool's bet. Last season was a sign of things to come, especially in the playoffs.

I'd be 100% on board with leaving him available to Seattle. I don't think his contract is an albatross quite yet, but this is essentially a get out of free jail card if/when that does happen. It also change the dynamic of the Flames D going forward. With the top pairing of Brodano gone it gives the chance for a new top pairing to emerge.

The flames have a history though of catering to beloved vets so I doubt it happens. But I think it would be a good move.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post: