Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2020, 10:31 PM   #41
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anybody remember ever seeing the neon cowboy lit up? Been going to games for 25+ years and don’t recall the neon ever being lit/functional. That would be a cool add to the new arena to refurbish that sign.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 10:41 PM   #42
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also not mentioned yet, the corral is one of the last ties to stampede wrestling and the hart family. I wasn't alive during stampede wrestling but did follow Bret hart and took an active interest in the history of the promotion and ultimately how important it was to wrestling entertainment today. The corral played a part in that history.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 10:46 PM   #43
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too bad. I have so many memories...

...watching Superdogs during Stampede.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:07 AM   #44
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

First thing I saw there was the Circus with those free tickets they used to hand out in schools during the 70s.

Loved the dog shows.

My first hockey game was the Calgary Stampeders against I want to say, Kimberley?

My first concert, Rush Signals tour. I made the mistake of buying a T-shirt outside the Corral and not having enough money for the official merchandise inside.

Sad to see a piece of history go.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 08:23 AM   #45
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

On to bigger and better things. Do McMahon next.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 09:01 AM   #46
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Anybody remember ever seeing the neon cowboy lit up? Been going to games for 25+ years and don’t recall the neon ever being lit/functional. That would be a cool add to the new arena to refurbish that sign.
I don't remember ever seeing it lit. I wonder if they'll find a way to preserve that sign. I sure hope so.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:12 AM   #47
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Late 1970s?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:41 AM   #48
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

one of my earlier recollections would have been a Cowboys game, 76-77 season against the Jets, getting Bobby Hull to sign a hockey card while leaning over the bench (while the game was underway)

which I of course promptly thumbtacked to the wall, along with all of my other autographed cards of hall of famers (including the ones of the 1950s Habs my dad gave me)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 10:55 AM   #49
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Late 1970s?
I can't pinpoint when because it's been a while, but I would say I've seen it lit up at some point in the past 15 years. The Corral neon wording in the last 5.

But yes, like some of the Vegas Neon that has been preserved, that should be preserved as well. As mentioned maybe some establishment within the new arena or adjacent to it, can use it.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:40 AM   #50
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
one of my earlier recollections would have been a Cowboys game, 76-77 season against the Jets, getting Bobby Hull to sign a hockey card while leaning over the bench (while the game was underway)

which I of course promptly thumbtacked to the wall, along with all of my other autographed cards of hall of famers (including the ones of the 1950s Habs my dad gave me)

The Cowboys! I completely forgot about them. We used to go to those games too. Once again, terrible teams. Maybe that's why I completely forgot about them! I was even a member of the Cowboys booster club...I've no real memories of what that was about at all, other than meeting at Chinook Center food court on Saturdays lol.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #51
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Saving the neon cowboy and potentially integrating it into the new building is a fantastic idea, would love to see it. Hope it doesn't end up in a landfill or collecting dust in a museum archive basement somewhere.

I don't have any personal history with the Corral but makes me think when the dome closes I hope I can grab a seat or two as a keepsake.

*edit just read the cowboy is going to be refurbished and integrated into the conference centre, still kinda too bad, would have been really cool in a public space or new rink but at least not being trashed*

Last edited by Matty81; 07-18-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 01:25 PM   #52
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Thanks, that was driving me nuts searching! I'm guessing Cobra is thinking of the first Hitmen game AT the Saddledome...several games after I attended the actual first ever game, at the Corral. My mind ain't quite gone yet

I guess that must be correct. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #53
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

This one really hits home for me. The Corral was where my office was for the dozen or so years that I worked year round for Stampede.

So many events I was a small part of in that building, from the Superdogs and Ice Shows during Stampede, to all the concerts (the Corral for a few years got quite a bunch of good shows), Mui Thai and MMA shows that got great crowds before MMA started narrowing down to UFC and then folks doing small events. WWE events, including going to the last one as a spectator. Basketball, the ABA for a few games, and the Globetrotters.

Western events, from Rodeo Royal (RIP) to the various fall events like Cutting Horse and Cattle Penning, where almost every year it seemed that a calf would get loose on the concourse. 4H events in the spring. (All those moved a few years ago to the Western Events Centre across the street).

Private events, such as corporate rodeos, various demononational events and the joys of 12 hour days at Amway conferences.

Hockey of course...from seeing 1000s of beer league games, to seeing Eddie Shack and other NHL alumnai at charity events, to NHL teams practicing from 'across the street' and the Hitmen, both the playoff games that had to go there because of building conflicts, and the Corral Series last year, which I was happy to work as my last events getting paid to be in the Corral.

But...it's time. Other than the concrete in the building, which I figured would have taken a huge wack of explosives to take down, it was just wore out. Putting on an event for more than a couple thousand people was a huge challenge, with there being not enough bathrooms, concourse space, concessions etc. for the number of folks that could fit into the seating in the building. Without a doubt I'll be sad when it comes down (and really sad I couldn't get one of the 'double seats' from the end. Darn lead paint!) but again, it's time.

Last edited by Julio; 07-19-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #54
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Back in 1976 the Corral played host to the Wrigley Cup, now known as the Telus Cup. The best midget teams in Canada played for the right to go over to Russia and play their best. Being the host team, Calgary assembled an allstar team of the best midget players in Calgary to play in this tourney.

The team was called the Spurs and went through round robin play finishing with a 6-0 record. They ended up beating the Toronto Young Nationals by a score of 8-3 in the final game.

Old 07-18-2020, 07:19 PM   #55
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post

As long as you kept them!
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 08:57 PM   #56
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Easily my favourite rink to play beer league in, especially if you got the big dressing room with stalls.

If you got that small room though...
Most inconsistent showers in the city though. Had some nights with not a drop of hot water in there
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 10:32 PM   #57
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worst part of playing hockey there was them making you pay to park...
Old 07-19-2020, 03:03 AM   #58
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
The Hitmen played in the Saddledome right from the start. I had a suite for the first game. I number of the owners were in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I number what?

Cool story bra
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EverfresH15 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #59
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Used to be a Stampede security guard many years ago. Did many overnight night shifts There. Lots of old photographs and history, hope they save it all.

Lots of strange sounds and other creepiness as well, including a photo and story on a boxer killed in a boxing match in the Corral. Lots of guards refused the overnight there.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 11:45 AM   #60
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Also not mentioned yet, the corral is one of the last ties to stampede wrestling and the hart family. I wasn't alive during stampede wrestling but did follow Bret hart and took an active interest in the history of the promotion and ultimately how important it was to wrestling entertainment today. The corral played a part in that history.
I don't remember Stampede Wrestling ever being in the Corral, though I suppose there may have been a special event I missed. It was at Victoria Pavilion, aka the Ag Building now.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:

Tags
centennials , cowboys , e=ng way back when , edmonton is no good , edmonton still no good