Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #201
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm starting to get random drops in internet again. Not as long or bad as when I was on the other channel, but it's starting up again. How about you cral?

@ Bill - Yeah, I think I might contact shaw about it and try to get a new cable modem.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #202
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I'm starting to get random drops in internet again. Not as long or bad as when I was on the other channel, but it's starting up again. How about you cral?

@ Bill - Yeah, I think I might contact shaw about it and try to get a new cable modem.
Yeah I had one of those little small modem router combos. Got it swapped for this huge Cisco one and my internet has been amazing since.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wooohooo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #203
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
While the first webpage makes it seem liek you don't need portals, you are incorrect - you still need portals. Click the how it works" link on that page:

http://www.shaw.ca/gateway/how-it-works/

BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #204
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
While the first webpage makes it seem liek you don't need portals, you are incorrect - you still need portals. Click the how it works" link on that page:

http://www.shaw.ca/gateway/how-it-works/

The new Gateway is also a portal. It can be hooked up to a TV. The old Gateway could not be.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #205
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ahhhh - gotcha.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #206
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thinking about upgrading my internet. I'm currently with Shaw and considering switching to Telus, does anyone know which is faster? Or are they about the same?
Canuck-Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #207
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck-Hater View Post
Thinking about upgrading my internet. I'm currently with Shaw and considering switching to Telus, does anyone know which is faster? Or are they about the same?
If you are close to a Telus nod, Telus should be faster and more consistent. But who knows if you are close to a nod or not?
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #208
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
If you are close to a Telus nod, Telus should be faster and more consistent. But who knows if you are close to a nod or not?
Am I close to a what now? I have no idea or do you mean close to decision? as in "I'm giving the nod to Telus"
The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck-Hater For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #209
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry I meant a Telus connection node (not nod).
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #210
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Sorry I meant a Telus connection node (not nod).
Ahh. Yeah I don't think I am actually.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:39 AM   #211
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

Yeah - performance slightly better, but still spotty and occasional random drops. Sounds like we have similar scenarios going on.

Frustrating.

Might have to upgrade my router?
Old 03-13-2016, 06:19 PM   #212
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Yeah - performance slightly better, but still spotty and occasional random drops. Sounds like we have similar scenarios going on.

Frustrating.

Might have to upgrade my router?
Yeah I'm thinking that might be the case. The cable/modem router I have is 3.5 ish years old so it's about time to replace it.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:06 PM   #213
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shaw has a new cable modem upgrade that they recommended be done before the end of February. It was at no cost.

I'd be interested to know what peoples packages are:

I have Internet 100 (no longer available), Telephone with North American LD, Cable package, with movie channels, AMC and stuff. Bill is $260 a month. Which seems steep. Would love for my wife to give up the Real Housewives and cut the cord.

I only watch sports.

Be interesting to hear other peoples configs and costs.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:15 PM   #214
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm on Broadband 100 as well. No telephone, and only HD sports channels on my cable package. It ain't cheap, and Shaw has been raising the rate on BB100 pretty regularly, presumably to push us onto slower packages.

Currently, here's how their pricing stacks up. This is based off of Telus standalone pricing (not bundled with TV or phone) and not factoring in any introductory offers:

Shaw Internet 5: $10.60/Mbit

Shaw Internet 15: $4.20/Mbit
Telus Internet 15: $4.20/Mbit

Telus Internet 25: $2.72/Mbit
Shaw Internet 30: $2.43/Mbit

Telus Internet 50: $1.66/Mbit
Shaw Internet 60: $1.55/Mbit

Telus Internet 100: $0.93/Mbit
Shaw Internet 120: $1.025/Mbit

Annoyingly, while my area is Telus Fibre ready, I can only get up to Internet 50 with Telus Fibre, not 100 like in other areas. Why? Who knows, they didn't have an answer for me. So even though I'd consider a change, I can't without downgrading my internet package.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #215
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm on Shaw Internet 30, and never really felt the need to pay more. Seams plenty fast. Basic phone, no LD package, and maybe $5.00 a month LD charges. Grandfathered HD Plus package, which I think is a really good deal, get all the popular channels and sports, some movies etc. $165/month.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #216
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

On Internet 60 or whatever Shaw calls it these days. As I mentioned last week things seem really slow lately so I ran some speed tests over the weekend (both the Shaw one and the one from DSLreports). Download speeds varied from 1.5 to 2.5 MBPS.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #217
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was on Internet 60 for a while, but recently downgraded to Internet 30. Paying $55 a month (negotiated $18 off the monthly fee by threatening to go to Teksavvy).

If we move this summer, as planned, then we will be switching to Teksavvy.

I might have to re-open a shaw account in December to buy TSN/Sportsnet for hockey. Will depend on price though.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:11 PM   #218
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

This is my current plan, nothing special but it has what we use/watch the most, so I haven't been inclined to do much with it.

They gave me $10 a month off for a year when I was ready to cut cable and go internet only.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #219
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaw is recommending me test channels 2-7, 7-10 then doing a hard reset and testing said channels + 1/6/11 again. Shouldn't take more than a few hours of an evening though. Rewards would be a modem upgrade.

I'm going straight to the hard reset which will reset me to auto and just check for the drop in connection and speed. If any, I'll immediately sample a bunch of individual channels, and fire a few emails back to Shaw Tech saying the performance isn't acceptable (pretty sure a hard reset isn't going to do much more than a power cycle, but who knows). I'm pretty sure I could lie about it, but eh... morals win today.

I'm pretty sure they'll send me a replacement modem though. They're probably reading off a script and need me to jump a few hoops before they send a repair guy. It doesn't seem like they can gather any data/info off your modem other than the settings used on the cable modem.

I'm on Shaw High speed 20. No other products from them.

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-14-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #220
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Instead of guessing, download this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...analyzer&hl=en
Not sure if there is an iPhone equivalent.

It will show you channels and signal strength, and you can see overlaps. Then you can try an empty band. Walk around your house and see where the signal is better/worse. Super handy.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote