Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2021, 11:10 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Flames 3 Canucks 0

Game Takes: Flames 3 Canucks 0

- Flames win 4th straight home opener against Vancouver
- Jacob Markstrom pitches a shut out
- Flames score three powerplay goals
- Off to a solid 1-0-1 start
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:26 PM   #2
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I watched a live Flames penalty-kill for the first time in three years tonight. That is thanks to Jacob Markstrom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:26 PM   #3
KenHouston
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Mang and Nesterov with great games
KenHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:08 AM   #4
LiquidX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Kind of surprised by the comments in the PGT.

- Only got to watch the last 1/2 of the game.. but 30+ shots per team felt sloppy to me, it felt like a pre-season game (to be expected). No goals at even strength despite high shot counts feels bad. Lots of penalties for each side tonight, good that the PP is clicking right now.. but Even strength needs to get going.

- To me, the Canucks seemed to be the more aggressive (on the puck) team at even strength, but weren't able to make many dangerous looking plays (and Markstrom was solid).. but still hemmed the flames in the D zone a few times. I'd prefer Markstrom not have to make 30 saves a game.

- I thought the comment about Bennett by the PBP team was interesting.. More relaxed calls in the playoffs allow him to be more effective. But I don't think either of those calls tonight would have been let go.

- Liking Nesterov - some good pinches and aggressive pushes with the puck.

- Still hate the flames PP zone entry. The drop pass back to the D zone just seems to let the defensive team line up at their blue line. But it worked tonight . . I think the timing was better; flames were skating across the blue line instead of standing still and waiting for the puck to cross.

- Johnny's slapper has improved - less of a waffle which is good, but it feels like he's using it more frequently because he can't dance around defenders so easily.. Feels like teams are playing him more physically (and the constant slashes) over the last couple years.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:35 AM   #5
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidX View Post
.....but still hemmed the flames in the D zone a few times.

- Still hate the flames PP zone entry. The drop pass back to the D zone just seems to let the defensive team line up at their blue line. But it worked tonight . . I think the timing was better; flames were skating across the blue line instead of standing still and waiting for the puck to cross.
When you are playing an NHL team also trying to win, I expect each team will get hemmed in occasionally.

Pretty much every team uses the drop pass these days, and Calgary finally got their PP going doing it. The defensive team has all the time in the world to line up its blue line if that’s what they want to do, regardless of the drop pass or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #6
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Zero goals 5 on 5 is a little unfair, since Giordano would have had one certainly without the stick breaking slash.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 09:12 AM   #7
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

The shots were 23-23 five on five ... but the Flames had a 21-13 edge in scoring chances, 5-2 in high danger.

I'm a little concerned at what they're generating offensively, five on five, but you have to like how little they give up.

Put up that kind of system in front of a solid goaltender and things tend to go well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #8
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
The Zero goals 5 on 5 is a little unfair, since Giordano would have had one certainly without the stick breaking slash.
The Flames also hit three posts. Do those count as scoring chances? It actually felt like they were pretty unlucky last night (ticky-tacky call on the 5-on-3; missed high-stick on Giordano; Quinn Hughes somehow permitted to grope Mangiapane on the ice for several seconds without impunity), and yet still came out with a really solid-looking game and a big win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:46 AM   #9
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn’t get to see the game but happy with the teams start. 3 points in 4 games means we’re not digging out of any kind of hole immediately to start the season so that’s nice. Hopefully the 5 on 5 offense will come, that’s definitely something to keep an eye on.

I wonder if every game being an “in division” game we could see some stretching out of the standings. But would also allow a team to make up ground quickly.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:58 PM   #10
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

First game in years where I wasn’t worried about a Flames goalie making a safe. Nice feeling!
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:22 PM   #11
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Yeah exactly ... when Dube scored the game kind of felt over.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:58 PM   #12
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The shots were 23-23 five on five ... but the Flames had a 21-13 edge in scoring chances, 5-2 in high danger.

I'm a little concerned at what they're generating offensively, five on five, but you have to like how little they give up.

Put up that kind of system in front of a solid goaltender and things tend to go well.
Play even 5 on 5....win the special teams....winning recipe.

And they have the goalie to do it.

Right now as long as whatever iteration of the 4th line is playing and the Gaudreau/Monahan combo dont get their heads caved in at ES...the team will see success IMO.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:21 PM   #13
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Great write up ....in regards to the helmet adds....I wish they'd do the helmets lime they did for the Flyers Pens winter classic ....big bold 2 colors on the lids ....looked sharp.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:27 PM   #14
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

I'm not sure we'll find another game with only 2 high danger chances against 5v5. That's partially due to the fact that there was only 45 minutes of 5v5 time, but that's still amazing.

To put that in perspective, last year the Flames were in the top ten for high danger chances against with only about 10 per 60 minutes. Part of that may be the Canucks were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights with no preseason and only 6 days of camp, but still very good.

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 01-17-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote