Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2020, 03:38 PM   #41
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Plus, all of the recorders should be time-synched so they can easily switch between camera angles at the exact same frame. Sometimes, one camera has a perfect view of the puck but an unclear view of the player while another camera has a great view of the player but not the puck.
It's kind of amazing when you watch something like F1, where they have multiple cameras on all the cars, cameras all over the track etc, all synced, HD, high framerate, many available through the app...and they have to deal with all the complications of a live race done wireless...and then you get to the NHL and it's like a high school play VCR recording. It can't be that expensive to have decent recording technology.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #42
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I’m still and will forever be on the side wanting absolutely no challenges whatsoever, but this is a start.
I'm close to this. I would rather see it as people have stated above. If you can't look at it 3 times at normal speed then the call on the ice stands. Replay was brought in to catch the egregious errors. Until Hawk-Eye technology can be applied to hockey, you are still leaving it up to some degree of human error. So why not lesson the burden on the humans and speed up the game
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 12:08 AM   #43
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Every time they tweak offsides all I can think about is 'why is this still a thing?!?!?!'

Offsides in both soccer and hockey seems so useless. It creates artificial choke points that prevent offense. While I know as an American it may seem cliche to use football as an example (I am not that big of a fan actually) but its not like there is any rule that says you can't throw the ball past 15 yards. Or that you cant throw the ball behind where a defender is. The defense covers the entire playing surface.

Happy to listen to counter arguments. I am thinking one solid reason would be without the blue lines there might be too much speed and dangerous collisions could become more common. But I somewhat dismiss that as right now so many of the big hits and dangerous collisions happen because of people trying to get across the blue line into the zone.
It is a deliberate "choke point to prevent offence" because experience showed in the very, very short time frame in NHL history when there was no offside (1929-30) the teams just kept "cherrypickers" in the offensive zone. It was ludicrous.

Football is a poor example, it has lots of rules about where you can and can't be, including its own offside penalty. The illegal forward pass penalty for example is an "artificial choke point to prevent offence"; you can only make forward passes from behind the line of scrimmage.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote