Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 10:59 AM   #5181
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
RNC Chairwomen Ronna McDaniel tests positive for Rona

https://www.axios.com/rnc-chair-ronn...eadba50d9.html
Ronna McVirus.

It's actually remarkable that they dodged it for this long.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #5182
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Meanwhile, voter suppression efforts by the GOP continue with the first post-RBG case to be heard by the Supreme Court.

https://thehill.com/regulation/51931...g-restrictions
Old 10-02-2020, 11:02 AM   #5183
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see it as yet another excuse for losing
Old 10-02-2020, 11:02 AM   #5184
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
GGG is right. regardless of what Trump says or that he got COVID now, there have been debates on the validity of the shutdowns. We have these debates all over Canada as well. The 40 million Americans who lost their jobs and the businesses that closes, do they feel it was legit? There are only small percentages of people dying, and maybe even not in their area. Sure US has 200,000 deaths but maybe there were none in your town.

These will be the voters who decide the election. I think Trump not getting seriously sick, pushes these people his way.
My family are some of the people that think it's not a big deal. Then I ask them what would happen to the numbers we see if we opened up seniors homes, sporting events, concerts, restaurants, etc..........they don't have a good answer for it. Then I ask them what the numbers would be like if nobody wore masks. Or how many people aren't dying but will have respiratory issues for the rest of their lives. The numbers are low because we shut down a bunch of stuff and people that aren't brainwashed will take a few seconds out of their day to wear a mask because it's so easy to do and will potentially save lives.

Basically, people that think it's a hoax or don't think it's a big deal were always going to vote for Trump anyways.
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2020, 11:07 AM   #5185
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
My family are some of the people that think it's not a big deal. Then I ask them what would happen to the numbers we see if we opened up seniors homes, sporting events, concerts, restaurants, etc..........they don't have a good answer for it. Then I ask them what the numbers would be like if nobody wore masks. Or how many people aren't dying but will have respiratory issues for the rest of their lives. The numbers are low because we shut down a bunch of stuff and people that aren't brainwashed will take a few seconds out of their day to wear a mask because it's so easy to do and will potentially save lives.

Basically, people that think it's a hoax or don't think it's a big deal were always going to vote for Trump anyways.

It's like Y2K right? If nobody fixed it, nothing would work on 1/1/2000 but since everyone worked overtime to fix it, people think it was nothing.

But to your point, there are some of the in-between people. Yeah it's a pandemic and yeah we have to be careful and wear masks but did we really have to shut everything down? Especially in rural areas? And did they really need to take fire me? People only think within their own life experiences and their own little bubble.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2020, 11:14 AM   #5186
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are your family some of the 15 per cent of Canadians who say they would vote for Trump?

It’s a mistake to think there’s perfect overlap between hardcore Trump supporters and people who believe the restrictions imposed in response to Covid have been excessive.

I’ve been surprised in the last couple weeks by how many people I’ve come across who are being very casual and lax about social distancing. I went to an outdoor wake a few days ago where everyone was shaking hands and eating from a buffet. I doubt all or most of those people believe Covid is a hoax. They just presumably think that public restrictions are excessive and unnecessary.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 10-02-2020 at 11:16 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2020, 11:17 AM   #5187
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1312037149546614786

Hmm, it's a real head-scratcher, isn't it?
Old 10-02-2020, 11:33 AM   #5188
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
As much as it's fair to doubt any reports coming from this White House, I don't see any benefit to Trump in announcing this diagnosis.

First, it runs counter to his entire "hoax" and "it'll disappear before you know it" narrative.

Second, a lot of people who believe that narrative do so because they don't live in a place that has been hard-hit by the virus, and don't know of anyone that has it. Now they do, making it much more accessible to them.

Third, Trump's initial announcement that he and his wife are quarantining runs counter to any "I told you so" narrative he might later try to spin if they experience only mild symptoms. Him taking it seriously doesn't mesh at all with his bravado about the virus, nor his rebel leader persona when it comes to Covid restrictions.

Fourth, the announcement impedes his ability to continue campaigning in the ways that are most effective for him: rallies. He simply wouldn't abandon those for 2 of the 4 weeks left until the election.

Fifth, the mere announcement that even the President - who is tested daily and surrounded by the Secret Service - can contract this virus, is going to deter older Trump voters from going to the polls where they'll be vulnerable to infection. They may not mail-in their ballots either, since that's apparently subject to fraud.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but basically - if it is a calculated manipulation by the White House - it's a gross miscalculation. And as much as the administration is a collection of dum-dums, one thing they're good at is tactics, and this doesn't play well tactically.

Another reason it's not a hoax -

A hoax perpetrated at that high a level would require the utmost secrecy. That's not something this administration is good at in the best of times. It would also require only a handful of people to be in on the plan. According to the conspiracy theorists here, those handful of people include the RNC chairwoman and a random ass senator? If they're in on it, then you'd presume everyone higher up than them would be in on it too, so probably at least 50, maybe 100 people?

It's bull#### and I'm genuinely so surprised to see so many jump immediately to the conspiracy theory while in the past criticising the weirdos on the right with all of their Clinton/Obama/Soros/Biden/pizza/paedo conspiracies. "Those conspiracies are outlandish, but this one? This one is highly believable!"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2020, 11:35 AM   #5189
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post

A hoax perpetrated at that high a level would require the utmost secrecy. That's not something this administration is good at in the best of times. It would also require only a handful of people to be in on the plan. According to the conspiracy theorists here, those handful of people include the RNC chairwoman and a random ass senator? If they're in on it, then you'd presume everyone higher up than them would be in on it too, so probably at least 50, maybe 100 people?

It's bull#### and I'm genuinely so surprised to see so many jump immediately to the conspiracy theory while in the past criticising the weirdos on the right with all of their Clinton/Obama/Soros/Biden/pizza/paedo conspiracies. "Those conspiracies are outlandish, but this one? This one is highly believable!"
I have no more thanks to give so I will say thanks, I completely agree.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2020, 11:36 AM   #5190
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Scroll down the comments and she also came up with this gem
"Wayne, give it up. Most conservatives actually have critical thinking skills and understand the truth about masks. Not sure you do. So no, I won’t delete that."
Old 10-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #5191
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Biden, his wife and Harris have all tested negative.
Good to hear but he’ll need to test negative for another 8-10 days to get past the incubation timeframe.

With Barret being in contact she should have to quarantine for another 10 or so days. And you just know this is going to continue to go through the GOP ranks and whoever they were in contact with the next couple of weeks.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:40 AM   #5192
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

DeAnna Lorraine did so well in her bid for Congress too. Maybe next time kiddo...

Old 10-02-2020, 11:41 AM   #5193
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Are your family some of the 15 per cent of Canadians who say they would vote for Trump?

It’s a mistake to think there’s perfect overlap between hardcore Trump supporters and people who believe the restrictions imposed in response to Covid have been excessive.

I’ve been surprised in the last couple weeks by how many people I’ve come across who are being very casual and lax about social distancing. I went to an outdoor wake a few days ago where everyone was shaking hands and eating from a buffet. I doubt all or most of those people believe Covid is a hoax. They just presumably think that public restrictions are excessive and unnecessary.
While I find the restrictions completely fair and needed, this is a good explanation of the reasoning for not following the rules. However, I’d also make a claim that it’s partly societal/human-natured as well. Meaning, when you get a group greater than a particular number (let’s say 50, the magic number for knowing everyone attending) group-think comes into play. It’s much harder to say no (in this case, following social distance rules) when everyone else is already disregarding restrictions. Even if there were only 10 people involved, and you were the 1/10 wanting to follow the rules, it’d still be a tough choice for some people. Peer-pressure is a real thing. That’s also the reason why not to go to those events in the first place, if you’re truly wanting to stand behind your set of values/beliefs/rules, etc...

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross; 10-02-2020 at 11:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TherapyforGlencross For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2020, 11:49 AM   #5194
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
I don't wish death upon the guy. As horrible of a human being and President he is, I hope he pulls through.
In stark contrast to my reaction to trump and his cronies being infected:

Old 10-02-2020, 11:53 AM   #5195
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can Kayleigh MacIwillneverlie get it too? what an effing deplorable piece of human waste.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #5196
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Our Democrat governor and his wife have it, and he's a dr too. There's starting to be a lot of attitude of shaming people for getting it. I get it as applies to Trump. But the people I've known who've had it have been a mix of cautious and lax people in terms of how seriously they took it. All the precautions are far more effective at a macro level than an individual level, unless you are truly isolating in a cave.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #5197
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1312066563013476353
https://twitter.com/user/status/1312068089186484224
Old 10-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #5198
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post

I'm not going to pretend to know the science and math behind this, but it's interesting that they have developed an equation on just how difficult - nay, impossible it would be to keep a conspiracy going without it completely unravelling.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35411684

Quote:
A study has examined how long alleged conspiracies could "survive" before being revealed - deliberately or unwittingly - to the public at large.

Dr David Grimes, from Oxford University, devised an equation to express this, and then applied it to four famous collusions.

The work appears in Plos One journal.

The equation developed by Dr Grimes, a post-doctoral physicist at Oxford, relied upon three factors: the number of conspirators involved, the amount of time that has passed, and the intrinsic probability of a conspiracy failing.

He then applied his equation to four famous conspiracy theories: The belief that the Moon landing was faked, the belief that climate change is a fraud, the belief that vaccines cause autism, and the belief that pharmaceutical companies have suppressed a cure for cancer.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 10-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #5199
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1312049001903120386
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #5200
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GhanaSaysGo...eb2x&context=3

Shoot, I can't embed this reddit video but it's great.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread