Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm going to recommend this course to anyone that's the least interested in project management and even how it should work. There's always a disconnected in companies between how projects are run and how they are actually run.

For example, a sales person sells a project, dopes it out and hands it over to a project team, and then blows a gasket when he doesn't think its being done right or to spec or fast enough or cheaply enough. Same with an executive who has an inkling then assigns a project.

For $50 bucks, I think its well worth it if you have time.

I spent today setting up a project including epics, stories, subtasks and bugs. Tomorrow I'm taking the course around turning it into a board, which should be really interesting.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:04 PM   #22
r00t
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Standups according to scrum model: 5 minute meeting where team members bring up any roadblocks or issues they need to share.

Standups as practiced by every team I've been on: 15-20 minute meeting where team members recount everything they've done in the last 24 hours to justify why they're being paid.
I once got a bad performance review because I just stopped attending the morning micromanagement session.

The amount of energy spent trying to make standup effective leads me down the path of: if no one can do it "correctly" according to the theory, maybe the theory isn't pragmatic.
r00t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to r00t For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 02:18 PM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The funny thing, is I can see how it could be effective, and it can streamline discussion if its defined properly from the start, and then stick to that definition.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:41 PM   #24
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If the standups fit within the "what I did yesterday, what I'm doing today, what are my blockers" and everyone can go in under a minute then I think that's pretty worth while.

"Information collisions" aren't a substitute for process but I think they're still important and the scrum is a nice way of encouraging them. Tons of times when someone was going to work on something that I'd already written code for, or found out there's a service that does what I need to do already.

Though maybe that's just because all the teams I've been on use information collisions as a substitute for process.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 09:37 PM   #25
r00t
Draft Pick

I think my cynicism arises from the amount of zombie scrum I've seen. A short working meeting where folks align on work in progress and impediments is absolutely an amazing thing. On a high performing team, less explicit process is required anyway but all too often, many organizations treat scrum as a process to install and now they're "agile". In doing that, they miss all the other things required to actually achieve what agile is supposed to promise (whether it's the relentless reduction of toil in DevOps, the transparency and continuous improvement of Kanban systems, the technical excellence in XP, the loosely coupled architecture in Domain Driven Design, or the multitude of other considerations that fall under "agile").

The comment earlier about scrum being a great place to start holds true: it does ask the org to value small, cross-functional teams as the primary value creation engine. But the other comments related to funding (economic view of value), organizational design, and understanding the flow of value are where the real secret sauce is.

It's super exciting that you're getting into the agile space though Cap. I've seen statistics that say over 95% of organizations are experimenting with agile delivery in one way or another.

I'd encourage you to look into some of the meetup groups that exist around agile as well. CAMUG has been around forever and used to be a pretty good place to get a free meal the first Thursday of every month. It's been around forever and a lot of folks from the relatively small agile community in Calgary participate to varying degrees.

Last edited by r00t; 05-27-2020 at 08:23 AM.
r00t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to r00t For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 10:16 PM   #26
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I've mostly worked in companies where the entire development effort was a single cross functional team composed of high performing people, but working in DevOps in a larger company now I think maybe I've led a sheltered life.

Though I guess to be fair the organization making noises about being agile has at least led to the many different product teams being open to talking about automating manual deployments, which is an improvement.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:56 PM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Made my first Kanban and Scrum boards today.

Spoiler!

Old 05-27-2020, 10:25 PM   #28
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t View Post
I had a bit of a frustrating day trying to visualize my team's work in progress...
Let me know if you come up with anything good.

I find the swimlane by story view critical for standup so multiple people working on a story have visibility to what's coming and what's waiting at the sub-task level.

That view is utter crap for managing WIP, which we do at the story level. Flipping between two different boards at standup is too clunky.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:48 PM   #29
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I hope you guys don't mind dumb questions.

First of all, at its heart Jira just isn't all that intuitive. But the ability to put together Sprints, scrum boards and Kanban boards is pretty cool to get a snap shot of your projects at a glance.

In terms of building a backlog, I just wanted to confirm

Epic is the entire project?
Story's are breaking down the different backlogs within the entire project, and you can add sub tasks to track completions within the story. So if I add 10 tasks for example to a story and I can check them off to progress and completed Once my story is in progress, and I'll be able to break down steps to completion, and once I complete all subtasks I can complete the story.
Tasks are global outside of the stories, so would they be like global administrative tasks or notes?
Bugs look like they're global to the Epic, I can't find out where I could assign a bug for example to a story.

Are these the right assumptions?

I also didn't see where I could attach a budget to the project or to stories in Jira, am I missing something in the field setup?

When I switch to my view of the Kanban board under classic project, my backlog view vanishes. But when I'm in the Scrum board, I can go to my backlog?

Maybe I'm not smart enough for this.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:03 PM   #30
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Issue type questions
There is a hierarchy that goes like this:
- Epic
- Story/Task/Bug
-Sub-task/Bug Sub-task

You can customize the issue types, but that is the general setup.

An Epic for a software project would usually be like a feature. Say "Customer can view order status".

A story is a breakdown of that work into a testable unit that ideally delivers some kind of value. For example, under the above epic you could have "Packages shipped by UPS show tracking link".

That story could have sub-tasks that usually the engineers use for their own purposes, for example "Generate authorization token for UPS API calls".

When the sub-tasks are done, the story is done. When all stories in an epic are done, the Epic is done.

Stories don't have to be associated to an epic. Maybe a Product manager had a one off idea to make some text bigger so users could see it easier. They could create a story that said "Make order ID text bigger" and it can sit on it's own with no Epic.

Tasks are usually identical to stories, but used to internally discern what type of work it is. For example, if it's something that doesn't involve code being written (documentation, research) it could be a Task.

Bugs can be in an epic if you like, but are more often standalone.

Quote:
I also didn't see where I could attach a budget to the project or to stories in Jira, am I missing something in the field setup?
You can use custom fields to do almost anything. Jira doesn't support this natively, because budgeting in an agile manner for an agile project is simple. You choose to make an investment in a certain area. For example, you task a team with increasing orders per month for customers. Your budget is whatever the team costs you to run times how long you want to work on this investment. Or you may have a defined metric for that goal you work towards indefinitely, and make the call to stop investing there when you see diminishing returns.

Quote:
When I switch to my view of the Kanban board under classic project, my backlog view vanishes. But when I'm in the Scrum board, I can go to my backlog?
Scrum boards will have the "backlog" option on the far left of the UI.

Kanban boards by default have the "backlog" as the far left column on the board. Jira does support a Kanban backlog view that uses a scrum style view for a Kanban board if you turn that feature on for your specific board.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 11:43 AM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Got my first certificate for compleing the Jira Agile Project Management Course, so I feel pretty good about that.

Next week Agile Scrum Product Owner MasterClass

Old 06-03-2020, 03:04 PM   #32
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Finished the product owners course which means I've now completed three courses

Jira Agile Project Management
Scrum Advanced: Software Development and Program Management
Complete Agile Scrum Product Owners Master Class

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #33
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve run a number of agile/scrum projects. Many of them I’d consider a bit of a hybrid or not classic agile. My first introduction was a program that was very must a pure agile/scrum initiative. It was a great intro and was helpful for the projects I’ve run since.

I view the techniques, both in traditional project management and agile/scrum, as tool in your toolbox. The easy analogy is the clubs in your golf bag, you don’t need them all on every course, but having them comes in handy. If you have specific questions feel free to PM.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:00 PM   #34
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Thanks Furnace