Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:
Default Google Reader shutting down July 1!

Oh man, no idea what I'm going to switch to... Anyone have an alternative (that isn't powered by Google Reader)?

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...mminent-demise
Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Most of the stuff that I used to read using Google Reader is on Flipboard.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

And this is why I refused to use any app that depended on Google Reader. I've had to pass on many good RSS readers as a result, but I knew this would happen eventually.

The more interesting thing about this is that Google, of all companies, apparently isn't interested in what you subscribe to, which feeds you actively read, which articles you spend time on, etc. You'd think that would be valuable information to them, but maybe Google+ is their longer term vision for aggregation of content (which is, ironically, the one use I've found for G+ - plenty of sites whose content I'm interested in publish to G+ in a fairly rich way)

Ultimately, however, this is a good thing. It will encourage innovation in the aggregator space again, undoing a lot of the damage Google did by stomping out the competition. Marco Arment, of Instapaper, feels the same: http://www.marco.org/

Last edited by sclitheroe; 03-13-2013 at 09:21 PM.
sclitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Probably a ton of articles coming out in the next few days on the different alternatives.

http://lifehacker.com/5990456/google...t-alternatives

Also wonder if Google will funnel people and development towards Google Currents, which was supposed to be like Flipboard, but I found wasn't as good.

I think i'll give Netvibes a go. The list/expand view is very similar to Google Reader, so it's an easy switch. Also has the widget view for a more tablet friendly layout. Haven't looked to see if it has an phone apps.

Last edited by Flaming Choy; 03-14-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

This may be slightly off topic, but what app/reader do people use to read news when out of signal range?
I take the subway every morning and use Thomson Reuters News Pro. Quick download and has most news, however very little commentary.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've used Netvibes for a long time.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
maybe Google+ is their longer term vision for aggregation of content (which is, ironically, the one use I've found for G+ - plenty of sites whose content I'm interested in publish to G+ in a fairly rich way)
Am I prescient or what:
http://arstechnica.com/business/2013...art-of-google/
Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I noticed when logging on to Netvibes last night there was a notification on the top of the page mentioning any slowdowns would be temporary as they there dealing with a sudden influx of new registrations.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
photon

Exp:

I think I've settled on The Old Reader for now, it operates basically the same, I liked Feedly but it didn't update when you scrolled properly for me.

Downside is no mobile version, but I rarely use RSS when mobile.

Digg is making one too but it doesn't come out till the 26th.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I think I've settled on The Old Reader for now, it operates basically the same, I liked Feedly but it didn't update when you scrolled properly for me.

Downside is no mobile version, but I rarely use RSS when mobile.

Digg is making one too but it doesn't come out till the 26th.
I'm using Feedly mainly for its support on desktop and phone, and ease of transfer from Google Reader. But you're right - updating read items seems a little buggy. In GR, read items are removed from the list. In Feedly, they are usually removed, but every once in a while, I am stuck viewing all articles. Feedly has also forgotten my Google account info three times on my phone - requiring me to log in again.

But, for most of what I want, Feedly does fine. I will check out Digg's reader when it becomes available.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Feedly on my PC, but the app on the iPad is terrible IMO.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am trying feedly on my android... jury is out for me, I'm not a huge fan or the design or ability (should read inability) to organize my feeds.

I'll be interested to know what Digg comes up with.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaN_26 View Post
I am trying feedly on my android... jury is out for me, I'm not a huge fan or the design or ability (should read inability) to organize my feeds.

I'll be interested to know what Digg comes up with.
Yeah, the ui on the desktop allows you to create new categories, reassign feeds to different categories. But the phone is a lot more limited. If you're only using it on the phone, I'm sure there are better options. But for phone+desktop usage, it works well.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Yeah, the ui on the desktop allows you to create new categories, reassign feeds to different categories. But the phone is a lot more limited. If you're only using it on the phone, I'm sure there are better options. But for phone+desktop usage, it works well.
Ya I only really use feeds on my phone... maybe I'll try out something else... just need to figure out what. I don't know why another app can't be made that actually resembles and works as nicely as G-Reader... it can't be that hard.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
photon

Exp:

The Old Reader is having some problems and have announced that unless something else happens they're going to cut off all the Google refugees to go to a private reader for those that registered before Google announced they were shutting down Google Reader.

So I'm trying out inoreader.com and am quite liking it so far. I tried Digg and it was pretty good, looks nice, but I still found I had intermittant issues where the read count wouldn't update properly. innoreader almost never has a problem marking what I've read as read. Not the most beautiful but not ugly either. And quite fast (The Old Reader was getting painfully slow before they blew up while trying to migrate to better hardware).
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

I migrated my Google Reader subscriptions over to Feedly. JustReader, my preferred reader, added support for Feedly just before Reader shut down so I'm happy.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...enacu.myreader
Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
totti_07
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I transferred my subscription to Feedly and sync it with G Reader pro on Android. It resembles the old Google Reader app and works well

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
totti_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #18
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Feed organization should be done via Yahoo! Pipes. Then put it through Feedly or into a newsfeed app.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote