Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #21
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
When they do this, are you screensharing the whole time?

Would be almost worth it to have a useless dummy PC or Virtual shell setup with a goatse background and just keep opening meatspin or lemonparty with a hotkey the whole time they are trying to install a trojan.
Logmein and Teamviewer probably have backgrounds disabled but you could probably troll them with other stuff in a VM.

The whole issue is that they won't do anything in the VM until you have paid them via paypal so the extent of trolling is usually in the beginning part where they are trying to convince over the phone you that you have a virus and to install the VPN/remote access client.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #22
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
When they do this, are you screensharing the whole time?

Would be almost worth it to have a useless dummy PC or Virtual shell setup with a goatse background and just keep opening meatspin or lemonparty with a hotkey the whole time they are trying to install a trojan.
Nah, they just try and walk you through setting up remote access for them.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #23
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Anyone remember the car warranty scam? They'd phone and offer an extended warranty for your cars.

I kept one of those jerks on the phone for about 45 minutes. By the end he was exasperated, because I kept asking "just one more question" or wanted to know if my "other car" could be insured, then I started asking about if I bought a car I was considering, but was worried it was a lemon, could I pre-insure it then buy it.

At the end, I let him know I knew about his scam and I was just trying to keep him on the phone so he couldn't hook anyone. He responded, first that he was offering a service, but once he knew I wasn't buying it, he said he'd make sure I'd be on every call scammers list and become miserable with all the calls I would be getting.

I never received another call on that phone line from a scammer, so his threat was empty.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #24
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Anyone remember the car warranty scam? They'd phone and offer an extended warranty for your cars.

I kept one of those jerks on the phone for about 45 minutes. By the end he was exasperated, because I kept asking "just one more question" or wanted to know if my "other car" could be insured, then I started asking about if I bought a car I was considering, but was worried it was a lemon, could I pre-insure it then buy it.

At the end, I let him know I knew about his scam and I was just trying to keep him on the phone so he couldn't hook anyone. He responded, first that he was offering a service, but once he knew I wasn't buying it, he said he'd make sure I'd be on every call scammers list and become miserable with all the calls I would be getting.

I never received another call on that phone line from a scammer, so his threat was empty.
I would have responded that he might make me miserable, but its better then being a low life scumbag who rips people off probably for minimum wage and when the scam collapses that its idiots like him that go to prison not the people who created the scam, but then again maybe he likes butt sex.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #25
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Microsoft called me id say Windows 8 sucks
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #26
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Windows 8 is fine. I haven't honestly missed the start bar at all. People overreact so badly at any change. I actually find 8 to be just as good or better than 7.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #27
jofillips
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I got the same call last week but I wish I had read this thread before - some of those replies are keepers!!!
I just questioned him and his "supervisor" till they hung up on me but now I feel ashamed for not having more fun with it!

In seriousness though I could imagine many people my parents age and older definatley falling for this.
jofillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #28
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

they just called me. I told him that I didn't have a computer and he asked "why are you lying to me?" so i asked him why he's lying to me and that I know he's not from microsoft. to which he replied, "who told you?" and then mumbled something and hung up.
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #29
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My parents avoid unrecognized numbers almost as a general rule (and have voicemail, which anyone important usually makes use of). Once I was over there though, maybe 1.5-2 years ago, and we got this scam. I was interested to see where they go to show you all these "errors" so I played along. Then when he told me to open my browser, I asked him if the next step is to install a back door to my parents' computer so that he can steal their banking info. Then he got immediately mad and I said I'm not bleeping stupid. His response was that he was going to bleep me. I wish I was witty enough to throw even something so obvious as "get in line", but alas I had to settle for just laughing and saying "good luck with that". Wasn't the greatest, but I was taking my sweet time with everything and took up a solid 15 minutes of his time (during which he probably could have gotten 2 people were they responding quick, very gullible, and had been sitting at their computers). These people are scum.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #30
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I love this scam. Got the call awhile back and decided, you know what I'm going to let this succeed. So I fired up a VM and did my best to follow the instructions to the letter. Unfortunately I had a lot of trouble understanding the person and eventually he gave up and I never actually got anything installed.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #31
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
My parents avoid unrecognized numbers almost as a general rule (and have voicemail, which anyone important usually makes use of). Once I was over there though, maybe 1.5-2 years ago, and we got this scam. I was interested to see where they go to show you all these "errors" so I played along. Then when he told me to open my browser, I asked him if the next step is to install a back door to my parents' computer so that he can steal their banking info. Then he got immediately mad and I said I'm not bleeping stupid. His response was that he was going to bleep me. I wish I was witty enough to throw even something so obvious as "get in line", but alas I had to settle for just laughing and saying "good luck with that". Wasn't the greatest, but I was taking my sweet time with everything and took up a solid 15 minutes of his time (during which he probably could have gotten 2 people were they responding quick, very gullible, and had been sitting at their computers). These people are scum.
Hahaha, I got the same thing. I got excited, told the guy I was gay and asked where he was so I could go to him. The guy then hung up on me, the nerve.

In all seriousness, if you're stringing th me along ask for a call back number I case you get disconnected. Once you're done call the national fraud telemarketer service (the actual name escapes me at the moment) and give them the number so they can shut it down.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #32
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is why I never answer the phone. Nothing good ever comes of it.
nfotiu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #33
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I LOVE these calls. The longest I have managed to keep them on the phone for was 15 minutes and by the end the guy was so confused he thanked me an hung up.
Did you manage to install a trojan on his PC before he hung up?
Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote