Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-22-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:
Default Own This World: iPhone & WP7 Game

I hope you don't mind a moment of shameless self promotion. I know there's a app thread but I was hoping this wouldn't be buried in there.

Myself and two friends have been working on a new iPhone game over the last few months. It was accepted into the App Store tonight, just in time for Christmas.

The game is called "Own This World". We classify it as a geo-dependent online game. Basically, it's like a cross between Risk and Civilization but uses the phone's GPS to determine your location and what "territory" you're in. The goal is to try to take over as many territories as you can so you can Own This World.

Calgary Puck exclusive world:
World Name: CalgaryPuck
Password: oilerssuck

Here's the description from our website.
Often described as "Real life meets RISK"

Battle for your own neighbourhood as you nuke, blitz and propaganda your way to ruling your city, continent and even the world!

Own This World is a massively multiplayer location dependent game where the real world map has been split into millions of territories that you compete for with players that are also physically in the same area. Your rank in the world climbs as you claim territories. If you have the most you are crowned the ruler of the World.

Owning territories allows you to accumulate resources (gold, manpower, food & supplies) which in turn allows you to attack other users in your current territory.

Compete against the entire world or buy your own personal world for you and your friends.

Create or join an Alliance so you can your friends can take on the world together.

View the state of the world at www.ownthisworld.com
Download it directly from iTunes or visit Big Nerds in Disguise for more details.

If you have any comments or questions I would appreciate any feedback.

Here are some screenshots:

Last edited by KTrain; 05-26-2011 at 03:54 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Congrats. I hope you do really well with it.

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Hey that's a good idea. Not bad at all.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Sorry guys.. I've managed to create three crashes so far. Sent you two of the crash reports.

Also, you have console logs enabled, so I'm viewing everything when I plug into xcode.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Sorry guys.. I've managed to create three crashes so far. Sent you two of the crash reports.

Also, you have console logs enabled, so I'm viewing everything when I plug into xcode.
Thanks for testing it out for us.

I'll pass this on to the programs and hopefully they can sort it out.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I have been lucky enough to be one of the beta testers on this app for the past few months. The fun we've had with it is incredible. It's basically a game of Risk and Settlers of Catan played on a real-world map. I urge everybody to give it a try. Even though I'm friends with the devs, I'm not just trying to help them out ... it's actually quite awesome.

In the last two months I've:
- Walked over 1 km from my parking spot just to stand on a street corner for 30 seconds to take over Crowchild and 24th
- Taken my kid for a one hour car ride through the country side just to claim untaken land
- Cheered upon hitting a wall of traffic or a red light

My wife absolutely loves it. She likes to be the navigator and scope out alternate routes to our destinations so we can screw over KTrain and the other players. It's one of those apps that actually changes how you go about your day, and I like that.

ps. I'm a little jealous that I wasn't able to make it into the screenshots on itunes. Swifty is rubbing that in my face quite strongly this morning.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'll have to upload the leader board picture to iTunes for you. That way everyone sees you under me...
Old 12-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Just for that I'm taking Dunbow road. Don't care how long it takes. I also noticed you took back the dome from me at the Nashville game. Good luck with that.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Very neat idea. Good luck. I don't own an iPhone so I cannot partake.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
Captain Chuckles
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I'll have to upload the leader board picture to iTunes for you. That way everyone sees you under me...
No offense KTrain but some of us don't want to see Russic under you. Just because it's on your Christmas list doesn't mean Santa is going to play it that way.
Captain Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Chuckles For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #11
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

i got this app today, seems great, killed my battery keeping my phone on everywhere i was going today but I think i'll have fun with it tomorrow when i'm driving my own car around.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #12
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
i got this app today, seems great, killed my battery keeping my phone on everywhere i was going today but I think i'll have fun with it tomorrow when i'm driving my own car around.
I will not hide the fact that I bought an iPhone battery pack just for this app. Worth every penny.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:54 PM   #13
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems pretty awesome.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:36 AM   #14
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Seems like a GREAT game so far! Question, does the app have to be open in order to conquer territory? or can you just have your phone on you?
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:02 AM   #15
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Seems like a GREAT game so far! Question, does the app have to be open in order to conquer territory? or can you just have your phone on you?
As the iPhone doesn't support the ability to have an app run in the background you must have it open to accumulate troops. This actually made for some interesting strategy in the beta. Because territories that are actively being worked outline in red, you can see your friends migrating towards territories of your own. Nothing like a quick phone call to disrupt their game. It's a dick move, but one I stand by.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #16
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
As with most apps that uses the GPS quite a bit the battery is going to be drained more quickly. Like Russic, I plug mine in when I'm driving around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
As the iPhone doesn't support the ability to have an app run in the background you must have it open to accumulate troops. This actually made for some interesting strategy in the beta. Because territories that are actively being worked outline in red, you can see your friends migrating towards territories of your own. Nothing like a quick phone call to disrupt their game. It's a dick move, but one I stand by.
And a new reason not to give you my phone number.

Also, for those of you without an iPhone and those who have the game but want to easily check out other cities in the world, you can go to http://www.ownthisworld.com/ to look at a larger map.

The site is very much a work in progress as we're not really sure what we want to do with it yet in terms of functionality but it will give you an idea of how people are moving around our city.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #17
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

When can we expect the Android version?
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #18
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
When robots get iPhones!

(I kid.)
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #19
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

so far the coolest one I've seen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
And a new reason not to give you my phone number.
Gets on top of me and then doesn't want to call. Typical.

Last edited by Russic; 12-23-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #20
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
This is our first real foray into building apps so we're going to make sure we get the iPhone apps sorted out first. Then we'll start looking into other platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
so far the coolest one I've seen:

Gets on top of me and then doesn't want to call. Typical.
With our luck that player in Indonesia is trying to hack the game...