Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2020, 03:59 PM   #1441
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having a self-winding watch sucks when you’re stuck at home so rarely wear it. It wears down and every couple of days I have to shake it to wind it. (First-world problems?)
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 08:20 PM   #1442
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Just wanted to bump this thread, and see if anyone had anything new watches to share. I've been finding watches to be a good distraction lately.

Myself, the last noteworthy watch I bought, a Speedmaster sapphire-sandwich, was almost 10 years ago now (Jeebus, where did that decade go). Priorities have greatly shifted since that time, but with my 40th on the horizon, I've been hoping to get something noteworthy again... assuming the world doesn't completely burn down.

A few contenders as of now:

Rolex Explorer 36mm - Has been on my list ever since I spied it on a wrist of a former boss. I never got Rolex till I saw this watch in action. A great all-arounder.
Spoiler!

Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36mm Silver dial - Classy as ####. I find most Rolexes to be too busy/cheesy/bougie.. but I can't deny the power of a clean OP, especially in the silver dial. Black dial is great too, but in that case might as well get the Explorer.
Spoiler!

Tudor Fifty Eight - I really love what Tudor has been doing lately (especially now that they are doing in-house movements), and I find this to be a solid Submariner alternative at a relatively great price. Speaking of Tudor, also love the Black Bay 36, which is a solid Explorer competitor.
Spoiler!

Omega Railmaster 1957 - Great vintage looking watch, with modern hardware.
Spoiler!

Nomos Tangente - Another brand that I'm always drawn to in person. A few too many versions out there though, so hard to settle on a design.
Spoiler!

And if for some reason, my financial position balloons and/or watch prices crater, there's always this grail:
Vacheron Constantin Overseas - A worthy alternative to the Nautilius 5711/1a or Royal Oak Jumbo.
Spoiler!
Your 40th is a milestone and deserves something special to commemorate it.

Out of your list, my thoughts lean towards the Explorer.

Yes, some might say a Rolex is a little cliche, but I think that sentiment could be ignored, because the Explorer is subtle, yet so versatile and classic.

Though this might not be a consideration for such a milestone marker, IMO, bonus points can be awarded to the Explorer because the values are (relatively) stable and the market for Rolexes is vast, so liquidity isn't a problem in case you get an itch to try something else down the road...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 10:00 PM   #1443
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great bump...Family gift for my 40th back in December...I do love it. Love that Vacheron Table 5...

Frederique Constant Slimline Perpetual

Spoiler!

Last edited by FLAMESRULE; 04-07-2020 at 10:02 PM.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 03:46 AM   #1444
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Having a self-winding watch sucks when you’re stuck at home so rarely wear it. It wears down and every couple of days I have to shake it to wind it. (First-world problems?)
I get where you're coming from and I don't think it's wrong. It kinda does get annoying if you're in a rush, but then I find slowing down my routine to bring my watch up to speed and knowing my wardrobe to up to the minute detail (pun not intended, but welcomed) is something nice. For this reason I have both automatics, solar and quartz watches in my collection.

I found in the same way that shaving with a double edged safety razor. Once I figured out the best combination of razor + blades that worked great for me, as stupid as it sounds, it was like a sense of achievement. It was less of a chore than it was an activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post

Yes, some might say a Rolex is a little cliche, but I think that sentiment could be ignored, because the Explorer is subtle, yet so versatile and classic.

Though this might not be a consideration for such a milestone marker, IMO, bonus points can be awarded to the Explorer because the values are (relatively) stable and the market for Rolexes is vast, so liquidity isn't a problem in case you get an itch to try something else down the road...
My thoughts are if I were to get any watch as a decade marker, I would heavily avoid the idea of swapping the watch for something else. IMO it's a milestone marker for a reason. Having that in the back of my mind IMO would just make me constantly question my decision.

I'm a weirdo, but for me, I only get the high end luxury things to commemorate milestones. It gets rid of buyers remorse for me, because it was something worth splurging on. It also gives the item more meaning than an average impulse purchase. For something like that, I want a story to go with it just as much as I want the item itself.

I might be the minority though, ignore my thoughts on the matter if you want.

Quote:
Just wanted to bump this thread, and see if anyone had anything new watches to share. I've been finding watches to be a good distraction lately.

Myself, the last noteworthy watch I bought, a Speedmaster sapphire-sandwich, was almost 10 years ago now (Jeebus, where did that decade go). Priorities have greatly shifted since that time, but with my 40th on the horizon, I've been hoping to get something noteworthy again... assuming the world doesn't completely burn down.

A few contenders as of now:

Rolex Explorer 36mm - Has been on my list ever since I spied it on a wrist of a former boss. I never got Rolex till I saw this watch in action. A great all-arounder.
Spoiler!

Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36mm Silver dial - Classy as ####. I find most Rolexes to be too busy/cheesy/bougie.. but I can't deny the power of a clean OP, especially in the silver dial. Black dial is great too, but in that case might as well get the Explorer.
Spoiler!

Tudor Fifty Eight - I really love what Tudor has been doing lately (especially now that they are doing in-house movements), and I find this to be a solid Submariner alternative at a relatively great price. Speaking of Tudor, also love the Black Bay 36, which is a solid Explorer competitor.
Spoiler!

Omega Railmaster 1957 - Great vintage looking watch, with modern hardware.
Spoiler!

Nomos Tangente - Another brand that I'm always drawn to in person. A few too many versions out there though, so hard to settle on a design.
Spoiler!

And if for some reason, my financial position balloons and/or watch prices crater, there's always this grail:
Vacheron Constantin Overseas - A worthy alternative to the Nautilius 5711/1a or Royal Oak Jumbo.
Spoiler!
It's your 40th. I say go for something that brings a grin to your face every time you see it and IMO go for something you will not want to let go.

Hopefully I am not misunderstanding your comments, but I feel like you have an idea which of those watches is the one that excites you the most. The Tudor is the only one that you kinda describe in an excited manner. As such, I think the Tudor 58 and 36 sounds like the watch that might be the one that best reflects you.

Forgive me if my guess is off the mark, but I feel like to you, Rolex in general is nice, but someone else's nice. The Omega is nice, but you already have an Omega. I wonder if the Tudor to you is a combination of the classic (safe) with the modern (more you) rolled together with a little bit of uncommon and you perhaps like that?

It's kind of a similar vibe I get from your comments on the Nomos. The styles are wildly different of the Tudor vs the Nomos. The Tudor will turn heads and it will be appreciated by those who know and those who do not know watches. The Nomos on the other hand feels a little polarizing. It's a really cool watch, but I don't know if it would be the one I'd personally select as a decade milestone watch. Maybe as an alternate milestone in between the decades?

I get the allure of the Nomos though. As much as I love the divers, there was just something about the German "good design" style that pulls you in. I nabbed a few Braun (China made, not German ones unfortunately) to satisfy that "good design" itch. Sometimes I just really want to wear the Braun, but I don't ever feel like they truly replace the classic divers and dress watches I own. The Nomos has more Bauhaus artsy options than the Braun though which is also neat.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 08:47 AM   #1445
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Great bump...Family gift for my 40th back in December...I do love it. Love that Vacheron Table 5...

Spoiler!
You fancy bastard!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #1446
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
My thoughts are if I were to get any watch as a decade marker, I would heavily avoid the idea of swapping the watch for something else. IMO it's a milestone marker for a reason. Having that in the back of my mind IMO would just make me constantly question my decision.
I'm of the same mindset. There are watches that come and go, and then there are watches for life. For me, the Speedmaster holds special meaning to me, and it's the watch that my kids will probably associate with me when they think of their dad. Regardless of value, it's not going anywhere unless there are very special circumstances.

Quote:
Hopefully I am not misunderstanding your comments, but I feel like you have an idea which of those watches is the one that excites you the most. The Tudor is the only one that you kinda describe in an excited manner. As such, I think the Tudor 58 and 36 sounds like the watch that might be the one that best reflects you.

Forgive me if my guess is off the mark, but I feel like to you, Rolex in general is nice, but someone else's nice. The Omega is nice, but you already have an Omega. I wonder if the Tudor to you is a combination of the classic (safe) with the modern (more you) rolled together with a little bit of uncommon and you perhaps like that?

It's kind of a similar vibe I get from your comments on the Nomos. The styles are wildly different of the Tudor vs the Nomos. The Tudor will turn heads and it will be appreciated by those who know and those who do not know watches. The Nomos on the other hand feels a little polarizing. It's a really cool watch, but I don't know if it would be the one I'd personally select as a decade milestone watch. Maybe as an alternate milestone in between the decades?

I get the allure of the Nomos though. As much as I love the divers, there was just something about the German "good design" style that pulls you in. I nabbed a few Braun (China made, not German ones unfortunately) to satisfy that "good design" itch. Sometimes I just really want to wear the Braun, but I don't ever feel like they truly replace the classic divers and dress watches I own. The Nomos has more Bauhaus artsy options than the Braun though which is also neat.
Thanks for your thoughts, they are much appreciated.

You're right about the Nomos...it's not a milestone watch. Personally I love the Bauhaus influence, and being a graphic designer, it fits my aesthetic sensibilities (almost to the point where it's a bit of a designer cliche). But I see it more like a good office watch, as opposed to something special. A Junghans Max Bill may do the similar trick for a 1/3rd of the cost.

You’re also right about the Omega. I like it, but I already have one. The Railmaster is more of a watch that you add to the collection, as opposed to something truly special.

The Tudor 58 is an interesting one. I feel it’s a versatile watch that would be an excellent daily-driver. It's not a Rolex, so it doesn't carry that baggage (good or bad), but it has near-Rolex quality. I also really like the energy of the brand, and feel like it’s building good momentum where something like the 58 may be a collectible one day.
However, there are a few issues. 1) As much as I like it, I’m not sure it says milestone to me. 2) In my limited collection, it would occupy a similar role as the Speedmaster as an all-around sports watch. 3) In my head I would like this watch to lean more towards the dressier side of things (The Speedy works ok with a suit, but it would be nice to have something that really pops on special occasions).

While they may not be particularly original, I do quite like the Explorer and OP, as they would occupy a different role than the Speedmaster in being more of an “occasion” watch. Maybe it's the age thing, but I'm ok with something being a bit more elegant and understated. An alternative to this could also be the IWC Portugieser…but that feels like an older man watch (maybe for the 50th? ha).

If money was no object, the VC Overseas hits all the points for me. It has great range but leans towards elegance, has a sense of retro timelessness, and most definitely feels like a milestone watch (although a milestone I perhaps don't yet deserve). The problem is of course that money is an object.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #1447
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, the Explorer is an all-around fantastic watch. Regardless of value, or the talk about milestones, I'd have the same s**t-eating grin on my face for a month that I had after getting the Speedmaster.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:04 PM   #1448
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, the Explorer is an all-around fantastic watch. Regardless of value, or the talk about milestones, I'd have the same s**t-eating grin on my face for a month that I had after getting the Speedmaster.
And isn't that ####-eating grin really what it's all about?

BTW, regarding your comments on the IWC - the Portugiese chrono was my first "big boy watch" that I acquired in my 20s and was my only 'real' watch for several years... I'm a few years younger than you, but I've never had a problem wearing it or feeling it was too 'old man'.

If you want to talk about timelessness...

To your point about resale values being a non-issue for a milestone watch; I get it. For me, the IWC holds a special place as my first, and it's likely one of the last I'd sell if it came to that... But, there is a certain comfort in knowing that, just in case, I could basically get out of it what I put into it, and it would be fairly easy to do so (liquid)... Again, it will (hopefully) never come to that, but it's still comforting on some level.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 08:36 AM   #1449
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
BTW, regarding your comments on the IWC - the Portugiese chrono was my first "big boy watch" that I acquired in my 20s and was my only 'real' watch for several years... I'm a few years younger than you, but I've never had a problem wearing it or feeling it was too 'old man'.
Funny, I was just looking through this thread from 10 years ago when I was looking to buy my first "nice" watch (which resulted in the Speedy), and the IWC Portugiese was actually on my short list. So it's a watch that 20-something me liked a lot as well. It's definitely still on the long-term list...but perhaps it's taken a bit of a dip for the moment. I do always remember them to be really eye-catching in person.

Quote:
To your point about resale values being a non-issue for a milestone watch; I get it. For me, the IWC holds a special place as my first, and it's likely one of the last I'd sell if it came to that... But, there is a certain comfort in knowing that, just in case, I could basically get out of it what I put into it, and it would be fairly easy to do so (liquid)... Again, it will (hopefully) never come to that, but it's still comforting on some level.
You're right, it's definitely always part of the consideration (I'm not in a position to throw money away)... it's just perhaps not the primary consideration at the moment. Personally I tend to lean towards the simpler steel models anyway, and those tend to hold their value pretty well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 10:32 AM   #1450
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm of the same mindset. There are watches that come and go, and then there are watches for life. For me, the Speedmaster holds special meaning to me, and it's the watch that my kids will probably associate with me when they think of their dad. Regardless of value, it's not going anywhere unless there are very special circumstances.

Thanks for your thoughts, they are much appreciated.

You're right about the Nomos...it's not a milestone watch. Personally I love the Bauhaus influence, and being a graphic designer, it fits my aesthetic sensibilities (almost to the point where it's a bit of a designer cliche). But I see it more like a good office watch, as opposed to something special. A Junghans Max Bill may do the similar trick for a 1/3rd of the cost.

You’re also right about the Omega. I like it, but I already have one. The Railmaster is more of a watch that you add to the collection, as opposed to something truly special.

The Tudor 58 is an interesting one. I feel it’s a versatile watch that would be an excellent daily-driver. It's not a Rolex, so it doesn't carry that baggage (good or bad), but it has near-Rolex quality. I also really like the energy of the brand, and feel like it’s building good momentum where something like the 58 may be a collectible one day.
However, there are a few issues. 1) As much as I like it, I’m not sure it says milestone to me. 2) In my limited collection, it would occupy a similar role as the Speedmaster as an all-around sports watch. 3) In my head I would like this watch to lean more towards the dressier side of things (The Speedy works ok with a suit, but it would be nice to have something that really pops on special occasions).

While they may not be particularly original, I do quite like the Explorer and OP, as they would occupy a different role than the Speedmaster in being more of an “occasion” watch. Maybe it's the age thing, but I'm ok with something being a bit more elegant and understated. An alternative to this could also be the IWC Portugieser…but that feels like an older man watch (maybe for the 50th? ha).

If money was no object, the VC Overseas hits all the points for me. It has great range but leans towards elegance, has a sense of retro timelessness, and most definitely feels like a milestone watch (although a milestone I perhaps don't yet deserve). The problem is of course that money is an object.
The IWC Portuguese is a really different direction and perhaps a direction closer towards the Speed master. Are you perhaps then wanting to look at leather strap watches or dual bands that are a bit more dressy than daily driver? The ones that you previously mentioned that stuck out in that group is more "sharp" I think. The VC and Rolex all have edges and corners such as Oyster styled bracelets. and angular hour markings. The Tudor is rounded hour markings.

If you're open to something like the IWC Portuguese, you're essentially starting from scratch. I'd be a bit perplexed as to what might work for you as a "milestone piece" if the Portuguese is on the table and if the Tudor doesn't quite feel up to the mark you're aiming for.

One other thing pops out to me as slightly curious. Is your Speedmaster a metal band? Is this why you consider it all around sporty? Because I have quite a few friends who chased the Speed master and Planet Ocean because they felt it looked fantastic in a suit and in "casual" wear (golf gear, work clothing, night out etc.).

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...31133423001002

IMO, that's a really slick look for a suit. No matter what watch you choose for your 40th, I wonder if looking into having the option of your Speedy in both leather/metal strap could breathe new life into it. If you can breathe new life into your speedy, would looking into a piece that can come with both metal and leather bands be a facet worth looking into for your next piece for a similar reason?

Quote:
And isn't that ####-eating grin really what it's all about?

Yes it is indeed. It definitely comes after a ton of gawking, jaw dropping and disbelief.

I get where you are coming from for the resale aspect, but I still don't like the idea of directly contemplating it. Semantics sure, but I indirectly consider that idea via the idea of replacement value or economic cost instead. Will this option in theory be more difficult to obtain in the future than the alternate option? This is in the same vein as holding value, but I view it from a different angle as "will it be the one that got away?".

Side rant, the reason why I fight for the semantics argument is because I read enough legal documentation to know words are important. I'm tired of explaining that no one is "investing in themselves" by buying a luxury good. It's a consumable and pure money out of the door. People are not "making money" when their luxury good goes up in value and they have no intention of parting with it. They just avoided a different economic cost to acquire it. Sorry for the spiel.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #1451
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

What do you guys think of that Watchgang thing?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:32 PM   #1452
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
What do you guys think of that Watchgang thing?
TL;DR - IMO, it makes way more sense to save up and buy specific watches you like on sale than join Watchgang.

I looked into them before and I am sure there is some legitimacy to what they claim and do as a subscription service that allows them to leverage economies of scale, but certain things just never smell right with them. I personally wouldn't subscribe to them and just save up and buy something discounted at Costco or Winners etc. instead. Heck, haggle with jewelers and see if you can get that 25% off MRSP or more or something.

They are constantly touting that subscribing members are winning kick ass watches and constantly defending that they are offering far more value than the $99-299 USD per month you pay. (Apparently we have to pay shipping and handling on each watch to Canada?) They constantly show up all over the place with reviews saying they aren't ripping people off. That's just... weird. Sure, let's say they receive $100 from 1000 people and get 50% off on a large group buy on $150 watches and ship that to you. You get $150 in value for $100, they take home the remainder sans the cost for lucky person who gets the random nice watch. The honestly in their claims feel as honest and well informed as mattress reviews online...

In theory that is the idea of their business, but that's not exactly how it works. You customize what you want and get watches of the designs and specs you want so there's way more overhead, sorting, inventory etc. and frankly, seemingly not worth it if they only get 25% per $100 for storage, shipping, wages, website and profit after the cost of the watch. So something has to give for them to churn a profit. This isn't like other subscription services that send out a relatively ubiquitous product. Each Watchgang subscriber customizes what they want to receive.

There are unsubstantiated reports they toss in some low grade stuff from unknown brands to make that margin closer to 70-80%, but those reports are just as unsubstantiated as the company's claims they use to defend themselves. However, the logic in using high margin product makes sense to keep a business profitable. You'd probably need less than 50% as the cost of the watches themselves to make a viable business. I don't know if that means large batches of random stuff from random brands in China or otherwise though.

There's also membership tiers that you can accumulate from what I understand that you can do a lottery/raffle systems for watches that are legitimately several times over your subscription fee. But you're just as likely to lose than win, so it's likely a crap shoot/money maker/break even for the company. But they kinda try to tout it as part of the membership (and it is to my understanding something that is paid for additional to the subscription fee).

I mean, I could kinda see how they could make it work if they acted like Costco and can buy large shipments of watches far below retail from companies going out of business, fire sales, batch auctions etc. and it would make sense too in how they can have enough to customize stuff sent to members. But they constantly repeat they mainly partner with reputable watch makers, how do they have enough selection/varied quality product or how do they have enough margin? It's hard to seemingly do both without undercutting something.

The prices online for many watches are reasonable. For a $100 3 month subscription in USD, you can buy something excellent like a Seiko Presage (updated Cocktail time). Why not do that rather than get 3 unknowns at around $100 each that are more likely to be meh? I wouldn't even suggest subscribing to them to pad a collection. You're probably better off buying two $150 watches on Amazon and you'd be surprised what you'd be able to afford with $150 USD from reputable brands like Citizen, Seiko, Orient etc. There's some damn amazing watches in that range that even those who collect luxury watches would not hesitate to add to their collection.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 01:53 PM   #1453
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'm still not into watches, but I still love this thread. You guys have a great way of articulating what you appreciate about watches that make for a great read.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #1454
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watchgang looks like a great way to accumulate a lot of junk.

I think you're better off buying less frequently, but on better watches that you actually like.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I find the research/hunt the best part.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 05:53 PM   #1455
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm not really into watches but do think I should upgrade my $20 Casio Illuminator (it has served me well for several years now) with something a little nicer for work and going out. I'll still use my Casio when out hiking and other activities where it might get damaged.

I was looking at the Seiko 5 SNK809. The reviews seem good and I like that the second hand movement is fluid instead of ticking. Thoughts on this watch? Are there any others you'd recommend in the $135 or less (preferably less) range?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002SSUQFG/..._un7JEbT0E4TRA

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:08 PM   #1456
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I really love citizen eco drive watches. $165 for this one if you can go up a bit.

https://www.amazon.ca/Citizen-AW1151...s%2C202&sr=1-3
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #1457
jayswin

Exp:

$120

https://www.amazon.ca/Citizen-Casual...%2C202&sr=1-16

$168

https://www.amazon.ca/Citizen-AW1150...6-f96e7b0f409c
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #1458
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post

Spoiler!
Dammit! I've got the watch bug again!
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 06:18 PM   #1459
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

That $120 one looks really cool to me. Luckily, I can't tell it from a $7k watch. Maybe now I get how somebody who doesn't know about cars can't immediately spot - and appreciate - the difference between say a base model Golf and a Golf R, or a base Mini Cooper and a Cooper S JCW Special, etc. Ignorance is sometimes bliss.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 06:21 PM   #1460
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That $120 one looks really cool to me. Luckily, I can't tell it from a $7k watch. Maybe now I get how somebody who doesn't know about cars can't immediately spot - and appreciate - the difference between say a base model Golf and a Golf R, or a base Mini Cooper and a Cooper S JCW Special, etc. Ignorance is sometimes bliss.
That's kind of how I look at watches. I don't have the eye for a $150 watch compared to a $600 to a $1500 watch. Which works out great because I also don't have the disposable income so as a new watch buyer I'm enjoying the hell out of the bliss of liking a whole bunch of $150-$400 watches.

Last edited by jayswin; 04-09-2020 at 06:24 PM.