Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #101
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think that today was the first time where there was nothing new that matched what I was looking for, responses have been slow to non existent with only three reach backs, one was a short list, but I didn't get to the interview stage, 2 were to write assessments. I'm expecting with a long weekend coming up its going to be a bummer of a few days.

To give credit to the Federal Government I received a 1000 from my EI on Monday to cover the last two weeks of last month (They waived the waiting period) and I received 2000 today which I assume is for April.

Financially I'm in pretty decent shape with few bills so I'm not in a panic and I can breathe. Its just weird not having a sense of worth that you get from working, and a sense of daily direction and self management.

With the long weekend coming up, I'm probably going to do very little in terms of hard searches, I'll let things maybe stack up until Monday and go full bore again then.

I signed up on Zoom for a free account, so if anyone ever wants to chat, talk about searches or any other job search things let me know.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:18 AM   #102
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
My brother in law is desperate for any work here in Edmonton, and has had no luck with that.
He's said to me that he's been told by there stores that they're just trying to keep on all the staff the have, and don't need help.

I thought it odd as you'd figure these place would really need delivery drivers and whatnot. but I'm taking his word for it.

I talked to a Safeway's store manager, and they're flooded with resume's right now, and the one I talked to was at full capacity. She basically said the competition for those roles is pretty cut throat.

They also really don't want to hire a person that's going to be there super short term.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:45 AM   #103
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think that today was the first time where there was nothing new that matched what I was looking for, responses have been slow to non existent with only three reach backs, one was a short list, but I didn't get to the interview stage, 2 were to write assessments. I'm expecting with a long weekend coming up its going to be a bummer of a few days.

To give credit to the Federal Government I received a 1000 from my EI on Monday to cover the last two weeks of last month (They waived the waiting period) and I received 2000 today which I assume is for April.

Financially I'm in pretty decent shape with few bills so I'm not in a panic and I can breathe. Its just weird not having a sense of worth that you get from working, and a sense of daily direction and self management.

With the long weekend coming up, I'm probably going to do very little in terms of hard searches, I'll let things maybe stack up until Monday and go full bore again then.

I signed up on Zoom for a free account, so if anyone ever wants to chat, talk about searches or any other job search things let me know.

The $2000 you got is for the CERB not EI. You'll just get CERB now instead of EI.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:55 AM   #104
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
The $2000 you got is for the CERB not EI. You'll just get CERB now instead of EI.

I still have to fill in EI reports next one on Friday, I don't care I have money coming in, and it should get me through this thing, plus the payments came from EI and not from CRA, which if I understand is running CERB. But I could be wrong. It keeps money coming in for a bit.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #105
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

add on, when I went to my services Canada account it shows as EI.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:00 AM   #106
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I still have to fill in EI reports next one on Friday, I don't care I have money coming in, and it should get me through this thing, plus the payments came from EI and not from CRA, which if I understand is running CERB. But I could be wrong. It keeps money coming in for a bit.

The payments are coming from both CRA and EI. It will still show as EI in your MSCA because there was no time to update everything on the systems.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #107
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Fair enough, right now I'm fine with where the dollars come from.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 04:33 PM   #108
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just a scam alert, I know that a lot of people are getting a lot of emails from companies that have these positions that they want to talk to you about. For the most part they're easy to figure out just because of the email. But they're getting better. Today I got an email from a Thomas Lee, the HR director for a company called invest it forward. Now usually like I said its easy. You google the name and it doesn't exist, or it doesn't have a website. This one had a website though it didn't say much about what they did and I went meh, but I got suspicious and I was bored, because this one was the first one that actually had a website.

Here it is, well I went to the leadership team page

https://inv-itforward.com/our-story/...adership-team/

Like I said, my scam alert was already screaming at max after reaching this site. But I decided to do somthing a little time wasting.

I grabbed the image of Liza Mosely, because she's kind of a fox, and I dragged her image into google images just to see, and I she showed up as Danielle Pagano at Insight investment

https://www.insightinvestment.com/un...adership-team/

So clearly the scammers have now realized that they need these job things to be more legit, that people are desperate for any kind of positive news and are working on legitimizing the look and feel for the gullible.

Of course it doesn't help that their initial emails are poorly constructed.

But I did a clean sweep of my system for virus, malware and everything else after the fact.

Old 04-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #109
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
I got my $2000 CERB payment today too after filing for EI last week, my layoff was permanent and not related to Covid-19 though, so does that effect anything? I'll still need EI if I can't find a job once Covid-19 is over so will I need to switch over or how does it work? Thanks

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:41 PM   #110
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also how long did it take you guys to get your EI access code in the mail so you could start filling out your EI weekly reports?

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:03 PM   #111
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
I got my $2000 CERB payment today too after filing for EI last week, my layoff was permanent and not related to Covid-19 though, so does that effect anything? I'll still need EI if I can't find a job once Covid-19 is over so will I need to switch over or how does it work? Thanks

They're switching everyone who applied for EI over to CERB. You're eligible for CERB based off:
Who have stopped working because of COVID-19 and have not voluntarily quit their job or are eligible for EI regular or sickness benefits;
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...plication.html

The process for now is that you will need to apply for EI after CERB is done but that could and probably will change between now and then.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cSpooge For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #112
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
Also how long did it take you guys to get your EI access code in the mail so you could start filling out your EI weekly reports?

About a week to get the code, and then 4 days after my efile of my ROE to get access to fill in my reports.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #113
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
About a week to get the code, and then 4 days after my efile of my ROE to get access to fill in my reports.
My wife received her code the other day and was able to fill in her reports, but has not received or filed an ROE. But we did receive the extended benefits payment yesterday so am assuming everything has been filed properly. It’s been an adventure getting things set up so far.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:56 AM   #114
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
My wife received her code the other day and was able to fill in her reports, but has not received or filed an ROE. But we did receive the extended benefits payment yesterday so am assuming everything has been filed properly. It’s been an adventure getting things set up so far.
Someone who's more of an expert on CERB can state if they are paying without the ROE. If you have set up your services Canada account, you can take a look at your current claim and see if an electronic ROE has been filed, if it has been then you should make sure you get your own copy of the ROE.

But its good you got some money.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #115
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

As for my search, I kind of hit a wall over the last couple of days, I haven't stopped my search, I have put a pause on things with the discussion that this thing is going to keep on going and going and going. I've looked at opportunties, a lot are meh, but I've decided to do a search and save them but to stretch this long weekend to four days including today and get back to work applying on Monday.

I guess I hit this point because I've put in a ton of work over the last 3 weeks with very little payback for the efforts as companies have been very quiet in terms of follow up and reaching out to follow up isn't working at all.

I know I have to be patient, but its not something I'm good at.

But I guess, what I want to say, is even though not having a job constantly eats at the back of my head, I have to reconcile with what's going on in the world and show a bit of patience, and hope.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:52 PM   #116
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well on the good news front, I got a nice deferment on my car loan, that makes me feel better, so outside of doing my taxes, all of my admin stuff is taken care of.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #117
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Nice way to go into the long weekend, I booked a couple of interviews for next week, its a reminder that I need to stick with the process. I expect the competition is going to be murderous .

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 12:13 PM   #118
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Someone who's more of an expert on CERB can state if they are paying without the ROE. If you have set up your services Canada account, you can take a look at your current claim and see if an electronic ROE has been filed, if it has been then you should make sure you get your own copy of the ROE.

But its good you got some money.
We know for a fact an electronic ROE has not been filed because it is my wife who will be filing it. and this has not happened yet.

At the end of the day it looks like she is receiving CERB and hopefully will be back at work by the time that program expires and if not then the ROE will have been filed and they can proceed with EI.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2020, 12:47 PM   #119
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Bump, pretty much in the slow stage of things, Applied for 3 new roles, but not much new is popping up. Now up to 65 applications with 1 interview upcoming and 7 outright rejected. Hoping something breaks soon so I can get excited about the search.

At least I'm getting a nice tax refund after doing my taxes today, so that's a plus.

Double meat territory.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:57 PM   #120
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Bump, pretty much in the slow stage of things, Applied for 3 new roles, but not much new is popping up. Now up to 65 applications with 1 interview upcoming and 7 outright rejected. Hoping something breaks soon so I can get excited about the search.

At least I'm getting a nice tax refund after doing my taxes today, so that's a plus.

Double meat territory.

speaking of that... don't forget to do your attestation for CERB for the 2nd period this week when it's your day.