Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #1601
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

If they could design the arena like Detroit's (a million times more street friendly and inviting than Edmonton's) but with better material choice (more glass, exposed wood, nice stone) we could have a real winner.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #1602
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Giant brick box. Of course the Flames like it. The Flames couldn't pick a good design for something if they were paid to.
Why wouldn't you want to emulate an award winning arena?

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/li...ds/c-298765654

I'm sure the exterior details are very flexible not not set in stone as I would imagine it's the interior design that the Flames are most interested in. Even if it's largely brick exterior those tend to age better than flashy buildings as the Dome didn't age well nor will Rogers Place.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #1603
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Awesome. I've heard nothing but good things about Little Caesers in Detroit! Brick is the way to go, always a classy look.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #1604
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why wouldn't you want to emulate an award winning arena?

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/li...ds/c-298765654

I'm sure the exterior details are very flexible not not set in stone as I would imagine it's the interior design that the Flames are most interested in. Even if it's largely brick exterior those tend to age better than flashy buildings as the Dome didn't age well nor will Rogers Place.
A prestigious award from the design gurus at ... The Sports Business Journal. Oh.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #1605
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Little Cesar's Arena cost nearly 1 billion so we get half a brick box I guess.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #1606
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

HOK Sport / Dialog were one of about only five serious bidders that could have realistically done this. The requirements were quite prescriptive to qualify.

I will say this, though, that NHL arenas aren't complicated facilities. There's about five firms in this city that could have done it on their own (Dialog being one of them), designed something incredibly impressive, and the money would have stayed 100% local. The need for 'starchitect' partnerships are really because clients just get starry-eyed looking at other facilities. This happens all the time with big projects, too.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #1607
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Officially, nothing's been decided. The team is not in place. Interviews have yet to be concluded.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:14 PM   #1608
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Considering the existing architecture of the East Village and that part of Calgary in general, a brick box would actually fit in pretty well.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:21 PM   #1609
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Officially, nothing's been decided. The team is not in place. Interviews have yet to be concluded.
The architecture team has been decided. Interviews for construction manager and engineering teams are yet to be concluded though.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:55 PM   #1610
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

The interior of Little Caesars Arena is great. Lots of open space, great food options, huge team store, a lot of team history. I loved my visit there.

Not my video but check it out.

https://youtu.be/ajdaeylhpbg
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:59 AM   #1611
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
The interior of Little Caesars Arena is great. Lots of open space, great food options, huge team store, a lot of team history. I loved my visit there.

I would think a good chunk of the arena’s expense would be its own underground world they created. The Red Wings practice rink is part of the building and located underground in addition to other amenities.

It’s an interesting concept to buffer the arena itself with commercial buildings for at least half of the perimeter with public access on the exterior & entrance to the covered outdoor concourse on the interior.

I guess the covered concourse is open to the public most days giving the feel of an outdoor mall.

There are plenty of concepts here I think the Flames could pull from. I would hope the underground world is a non-starter.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #1612
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

You would have to think the whole thing might get paused, right?

The league (all leagues) is going to take a hit. The revenue pie has shrunk, customers will be hard pressed to justify season tickets coming out of this, all businesses including television may be looking for roll backs on long term deals.

Which says nothing about the average person's desire to cram into a building with 18,000 people psychologically.

The city has had a revenue hit and may be looking through out clauses in the arena deal itself. Hell the owners may be looking for an out clause if they have their other interests crippled during this time.

I wouldn't be surprised if this gets paused or potentially even scrapped.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #1613
Greybeard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I watched the Flames play the Wings in Detroit this past February. I’ve been to 16 arenas now and the inside of this arena is possibly the best. It is located within a few blocks of where the Lions and Tigers play. Consequently a great area has built up with lots of pubs and restaurants to visit pre and post game. If we got a twin of this concept I would be happy.
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:45 AM   #1614
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

The glass covered concourse is a truly great idea.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #1615
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

The league (all leagues) is going to take a hit. The revenue pie has shrunk, customers will be hard pressed to justify season tickets coming out of this, all businesses including television may be looking for roll backs on long term deals.

Which says nothing about the average person's desire to cram into a building with 18,000 people psychologically.

The city has had a revenue hit and may be looking through out clauses in the arena deal itself. Hell the owners may be looking for an out clause if they have their other interests crippled during this time.

Glad you posted this.

It will be extremely difficult to justify this project in the coming months imo, and if oil does not recover in a significant way the owners may reevaluate some of the trappings that might go into this project.

Everything is up in the air imo.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #1616
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

I didn't want to be the first to say it, but this is absolutely the time to be reconsidering our needs vs. wants, just as we are all doing in our individual lives. I also wonder how the dire o&g market affects the ability to generate more revenue from the additional suites. I wonder if/when they will be able to maximize value from the Saddledome's suites whenever the Dome is open for business? Will the market bear any STH increases right now?

It's hard to project how things will be when we are ready for shovels in the ground, but construction materials are likely to be a lot more expensive for the foreseeable future (foreseeable is not very long right now...)

The Green line, too. Any project that isn't close to 'perfect' needs serious scrutiny right now...IMO both of these projects are far from perfect.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #1617
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You’ll save costs in labour.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #1618
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think much capital spending will be paused. There’ll be a push for more to help stimulate economic activity. Although, dont know how the owners are thinking. I would think it goes ahead.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:36 AM   #1619
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames have run a tight ship financially over the past few seasons. Losing a big chunk of revenue will hurt, but the amount the new barn's revenue will boost things is probably a necessary evil. Scrapping this wouldn't serve either side's interests, to be honest.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #1620
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post

DO not like that layout at all. The seats in the 2nd bowl are really far from the ice - very similar to Glendale.

As for whether the project gets delayed, maybe, we'll see. But the absolute best time to build things is while the economy has cooled. Everything is cheaper. And when you're talking about a multi-year project, trying to predict demand at time of completion is pretty difficult. Either the league plans on moving forward, or it doesn't.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote