Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-12-2024, 03:34 AM   #1
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default CBE Results in Decline

I just read this article:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...or-improvement

I am curious what the CP minds have to say in regard to this. As someone who works in education I am keen to see what you all have to say in response to this. There are a number of teachers that are speaking out in the comments and I find it interesting that they are starting to as often they don't. However, they are doing so anonymously, which is also telling.

I don't want it to turn into an argument about unions and whining teachers as that is not helpful (I could rant about both of these for days). I am wondering what solutions the non-education public has, as there is a problem. Results are dropping, classrooms are overly full, funding is a concern (I would argue how it is used more than total amount), and we need to address this as a city with a unified solution. I feel like the average person I speak to has ideas about solutions but doesn't realize the power they have to invoke change and often feel helpless. Thoughts?
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:06 AM   #2
Point Blank
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’m a CBE teacher who’s taught in many of the programs discussed in the article, including elementary and high school LEAD. I’m curious as to what is it about the funding structure that you’re not a fan of?
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The Oilers won't finish 14th in the West forever.

Eventually a couple of expansion teams will be added which will nestle the Oilers into 16th.
Point Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM   #3
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Considering how much less than other provinces that we spend on education per student now, I am not surprised to see results starting to drop. We are finally hitting that tipping point where lack of funding is affecting results.

Links from both sides of the debate included for reference.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/site...anada-2022.pdf

https://teachers.ab.ca/news/alberta-...%20the%20list.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:52 AM   #4
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would need to see CBE results compared to the other three major school boards in the province, and also against the rest of the province in general before we can conclude it's CBE related, perhaps related to the large cities or indicative of a larger issue across the entire Alberta school system.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 02-12-2024, 09:04 AM   #5
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably need more PD days.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:14 AM   #6
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
My wife worked for CBE here for many years and is now in BC/Kelowna area working for whatever their public district. I think she has had 1 PD day off since being there. She said it is night and day and none of those Friday afternoons out at 2 thing. Funding is way better.
fotze2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:43 PM   #7
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What scores are declining, the 1 - 4 scale or the SR - EX scale?

I've got a 14 y/o in grade nine, and a 10 y/o in grade 4. I don't recall seeing tests with scores that might indicate how they're actually doing in a subject, so I am not being flippant about that question.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:49 PM   #8
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I'm so beyond triggered about this subject that all I can do is tip my hat to whoever has negotiated this for the union.

The article talks about families not being able to return to a routine, post-Covid. Well, I can tell you that I fall into that group and a big part of the struggle is finding any kind of rhythm with the sheer volume and randomness of days off in the CBE standard calendar.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 12:54 PM   #9
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I had to guess I would say that the additional burden on teachers due to oversized classrooms combined with a rising number of ESL students probably has a lot more to do with declining scores than a handful of PDs. (Side note it’s funny when people refer to them as PD days, the D isn’t silent in PD )
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 01:00 PM   #10
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Aren't they Professional Development... days?
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 01:01 PM   #11
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Aren't they Professional Development... days?
I thought they changed them to professional days? My bad if not

edit: my bad for sure, I remembered noticing them changing the name but i just checked my kids’ school calendar and it was changed to professional growth days. Double

Damn, that’s $0.45 in bags in a single post

Last edited by iggy_oi; 02-12-2024 at 01:05 PM.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 01:03 PM   #12
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do people think that PD days are days off for the teacher?

Professional Development. Depending on how strict administration is for each school, it's so the government can indoctrinate the teachers, so that they can later indoctrinate your kids. They have to be in the school or at a seminar, not skiing.

It inconvenienced me! Therefore I am enraged!

Reasons the marks are dropping.

Covid interruption.
Overflowing classrooms.
Poor curriculum.
No time for one-on-one instruction.
Less time for parents/tutors to help as the population gets poorer.
Mixed 10/20/40 classes, with little support.
New grading procedures.
Admin catering to parents.
Weak parenting that blames the teachers for poor results.
Overall air of hostility.
The governments "war on teachers".
Old 02-12-2024, 01:21 PM   #13
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Damn, that’s $0.45 in bags in a single post
At this rate, you'll have to hit the ATM machine.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 01:37 PM   #14
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious about the over-flowing classrooms. I just feel like we've had this discussion and issue for years (going back to when I was a kid in the CBE actually). Is there any where that has compiled the data to show how class sizes have changed through the years?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 01:42 PM   #15
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Our conservative government stopped keeping track of class sizes because it's an "irrelevant" metric

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...izes-1.6957313
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...size-reporting

The bill calling for the return of it failed:

https://teachers.ab.ca/news/bill-cal...rting-defeated

Last edited by krynski; 02-12-2024 at 01:48 PM.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to krynski For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 01:48 PM   #16
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'm curious about the over-flowing classrooms. I just feel like we've had this discussion and issue for years (going back to when I was a kid in the CBE actually). Is there any where that has compiled the data to show how class sizes have changed through the years?
You're not going to get that data because the UCP government removed class size reporting requirements in 2019. I think the reason is obvious. Here's a cbc article that digs a tiny bit deeper: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...izes-1.6957313
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 01:50 PM   #17
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well, we both know it's union propaganda.

They can't exactly complain about salary, vacation time or benefits. Those are all first rate, particularly in this economy.

What's that leave for the union to rile teachers and their spouses up about? Class sizes. It's their go-to and it works every time. Worked in the late 80s, worked through the 90s, worked in the 2000s, worked in the 2010s and of course it'll work in the 2020s.

I know for a fact anybody between 16 and 60 knows teachers have always complained about class sizes. There isn't a teacher working today who didn't know what they were signing up for, but they all get amnesia as soon as they start teaching and think they're being overworked and underappreciated with these HUGE class sizes nobody ever told them to expect lol.

Rinse and repeat for the next 50 years, I guess.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 01:55 PM   #18
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

The people most impacted by large class size are not teachers.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 01:56 PM   #19
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Well, we both know it's union propaganda.

They can't exactly complain about salary, vacation time or benefits. Those are all first rate, particularly in this economy.

What's that leave for the union to rile teachers and their spouses up about? Class sizes. It's their go-to and it works every time. Worked in the late 80s, worked through the 90s, worked in the 2000s, worked in the 2010s and of course it'll work in the 2020s.

I know for a fact anybody between 16 and 60 knows teachers have always complained about class sizes. There isn't a teacher working today who didn't know what they were signing up for, but they all get amnesia as soon as they start teaching and think they're being overworked and underappreciated with these HUGE class sizes nobody ever told them to expect lol.

Rinse and repeat for the next 50 years, I guess.
Well the ATA thinks class sizes are too large, because their aim is more teachers. No surprise to that one. And of course parents fall on their side because they want their kids to have smaller classes and be geniuses.

I don't know...I just know that my class sizes were too big and that was a lot of years ago. Class sizes have been a problem constantly, it seems.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:00 PM   #20
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I don't think that's true at all. BC teachers won a court case nearly a decade ago restoring their old class size/composition rules that they had bargained for. Since then, I haven't really heard any teachers complaining about class sizes like they did before the ruling. And it hasn't been a notable issue in bargaining since then either.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote