Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #161
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
... I’m not suppose to wash my denim? Holy crap I’m leaning a lot.

Well stand up straight. Square your shoulders, it helps.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #162
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
For unsanforized denim, you soak it first then let it shrink to fit. You get the best fit this way, as the denim literally shrinks around your body and creates a perfect fit.

During the soaking you do your best not to disturb the materials, so that the dye loss is minimized.

For sanforized pairs, the idea is to wait as long as you can before the first wash, to get the best possible contrast in the fade. Yes that can be gross.
Wait.... So you put on a pair of wet jeans and walk around all day until they shrink to your body?

Last edited by _Q_; 08-22-2019 at 02:19 PM.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #163
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Wait.... So you put on a pair of wet jeans and walk around all day until they shrink to your body?
You don't have to wear them all day....Believe it or not, before the 1960s or so, this was standard practice for denim.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #164
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blue dong. I've done this before.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:39 PM   #165
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
You don't have to wear them all day....Believe it or not, before the 1960s or so, this was standard practice for denim.
Amazing. I didn't know this. Will definitely try this next pair I buy.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #166
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys are a treasure trove of information. Thanks.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #167
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
... I’m not suppose to wash my denim? Holy crap I’m leaning a lot.
You are 100% supposed to wash your denim. How much? Different question, but I'd say less than once a week and more than once a year, for sure.

Not washing your denim for extended periods of time is meant to achieve a specific look, but eventually it harms the structure of the denim as oils and bacteria break down the fibres and weaken the jeans, leading to rips. This can also occur with over-washing and (especially) tumble drying.

I usually wash my jeans if they get especially dirty or start to feel a little too stretched out. Maybe once every few months on average? I've done the "no wash" thing before. It's unnecessary, but do it if you want. I find the "sick fadez" often look a little too bro-ey for me.

Generally speaking, I would just be very wary of taking advice from jean culture nerds and applying it across the board.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 03:16 PM   #168
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You are 100% supposed to wash your denim. How much? Different question, but I'd say less than once a week and more than once a year, for sure.

Not washing your denim for extended periods of time is meant to achieve a specific look, but eventually it harms the structure of the denim as oils and bacteria break down the fibres and weaken the jeans, leading to rips. This can also occur with over-washing and (especially) tumble drying.

I usually wash my jeans if they get especially dirty or start to feel a little too stretched out. Maybe once every few months on average? I've done the "no wash" thing before. It's unnecessary, but do it if you want. I find the "sick fadez" often look a little too bro-ey for me.

Generally speaking, I would just be very wary of taking advice from jean culture nerds and applying it across the board.
It's just the "dry" denim you don't wash. It's so the dye sets in and you get the best "fades". Once you wash a pair dry jeans, you lose dye and the dye sets into the denim.

It's really just that first wash that is the most important to prolong. After the first wash, the fades are more or less set and the only thing you lose on rewashing is the contrast, as the colour overall fades.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #169
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

I see. That’s what I do now, maybe once a month... but not 12 times a year. Usually for the same reason you mentioned, to tighten them up again.
Hang to dry.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #170
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I see. That’s what I do now, maybe once a month... but not 12 times a year. Usually for the same reason you mentioned, to tighten them up again.
Hang to dry.
Isn't once a month 12 times a year?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #171
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Isn't once a month 12 times a year?
Intent: Maybe = sometimes
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 03:48 PM   #172
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Well stand up straight. Square your shoulders, it helps.
Learning a lot in this thread, but posture police takes the cake.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:32 PM   #173
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Learning a lot in this thread, but posture police takes the cake.
Posture is important for good health.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:59 PM   #174
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
It's just the "dry" denim you don't wash. It's so the dye sets in and you get the best "fades". Once you wash a pair dry jeans, you lose dye and the dye sets into the denim.

It's really just that first wash that is the most important to prolong. After the first wash, the fades are more or less set and the only thing you lose on rewashing is the contrast, as the colour overall fades.
Yeah, I just disagree on the importance of fades, as I think that method limits the structural lifespan of the jeans. You end up doing more damage by trying to speed the natural fading process. You're going to get fades over time with dry denim regardless of what you do in the first year, and a good pair of jeans should last you a very, very long time, so might as well be patient with them.

I'll take a pair of 10-year jeans over a 1-year pair abused to look like they've been around for 10 years.

On that note, if anyone is curious as to what the #### people are talking about when they talk about dry denim and purposeful fading, this is worth a scroll:

https://www.heddels.com/fades/fade-of-the-day/
Old 08-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #175
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are jeans really meant to last 10 years? And in that vein, with the changes in fashion, body composition, and with age, do you really want to be wearing a ten year old pair of jeans? Currently at age 37, I might be into a certain pair of jeans, but do I really see myself wearing those when I'm pushing 50? Probably not.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #176
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
It took me a second to figure out if you were talking about a brand name or not.

Turns out you are not.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #177
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 08:22 PM   #178
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Are jeans really meant to last 10 years? And in that vein, with the changes in fashion, body composition, and with age, do you really want to be wearing a ten year old pair of jeans? Currently at age 37, I might be into a certain pair of jeans, but do I really see myself wearing those when I'm pushing 50? Probably not.
When we’re in the realm of quite expensive denim, definitely. But my point wasn’t necessarily that you should keep a pair for 10 years, but that trying to make your pair look like it within 12 months is corny, especially if you’re inventing ways not to wash them (freeze them! Vinegar! hang them inside out in the sun! Etc).

It’s kind of more of a hobby advice than practical advice for dry denim. Just treat them normally. Wash them when they need washing. They’ll last as long as you want. Don’t worry about the “rules” or all the weird little myths about dry denim. They’re just jeans.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 10:31 PM   #179
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just had to wear pants tonight for the first time since about February. It's bloody miserable. I would have just killed myself if I had spent $400 for the privilege of doing so. Stupid jeans. Gawd.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:16 PM   #180
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A couple of denim related things I'd like to share. I've been really happy with the selection and service at Brooklyn Clothing in Kensington. And if you need any jeans repaired, I recently had two pairs fixed at NAQP in Inglewood. I've only had them back a few weeks, but the repair seems amazing. Almost 'too good to be true' level of amazing. I always tear out the crotch/seat area of jeans and I've thrown away so many pairs over the years. Now that I know they can be repaired, I wish I had some of my favourites from years past back!
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post: