Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2021, 05:42 PM   #5341
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Kevin Hart is canceled at the Oscars
Hasn't Kevin Hart had several Netflix specials and starred in multiple big-budget blockbusters since then? Seems like he's still allowed to tell jokes.

EDIT: Roseanne was being explicitly racist was she not? It wasn't telling jokes that got her in trouble.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:42 PM   #5342
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Kevin Hart is a person. South Park is not.

South Park will never be invited to host the Oscars. Neither will Cartman or Randy.

They are also television shows. Kevin Hart and Rosanne did that #### in real life.

When even Chappelle fans say what he did transcends comedy, you can’t turn around and hide behind the veil of comedy. It was clearly deeply personal and went well beyond going for laughs.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 05:46 PM   #5343
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Kevin Hart is a person. South Park is not.

South Park will never be invited to host the Oscars. Neither will Cartman or Randy.

They are also television shows. Kevin Hart and Rosanne did that #### in real life.

When even Chappelle fans say what he did transcends comedy, you can’t turn around and hide behind the veil of comedy. It was clearly deeply personal and went well beyond going for laughs.
People also seem to confuse "cancel culture" with just straight capitalism. The Oscars are a brand. They didn't want their brand associated with homophobia. That's how it goes. It's the same reason The Dixie Chicks got taken off country music stations in the 00s. If your brand hurts another brand's bottom line, they're going to end their relationship with you.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:55 PM   #5344
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most comedians tell jokes In real life

FFS I said I like cartoons because they are able to push the envelope...you guys are arguing me with reasons they can.

Oscar ratings have never been worse

Last edited by dino7c; 10-21-2021 at 05:59 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:33 PM   #5345
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there are calls for Chappelle to be taken off of Netflix, but I don't think that's the primary motivation at this point. I'm not going to invalidate someone, especially a member of the LGBTQ+ community, feeling offended by the special. Generally, I'm for the majority of demands the protesters and Netflix employees are asking for, but I think they are mistaken in their target.

If they really looked at what Chappelle was saying and the points he was trying to make they may change their opinions of him and his comedy. Or maybe not. I just got a vastly different experience out of The Closer than they did, and I still don't fully understand the outrage, let alone call-outs for hate speech.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 10:08 AM   #5346
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Netflix fires every single employee who walked out... and their parents call asking for their jobs back.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #5347
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I hope Netflix fires every single employee who walked out... and their parents call asking for their jobs back.
well, if we're playing that game, I hope that everyone who is a TERF and believes in trans-exclusionary views loses their jobs and also gets kicked very hard in the crotch.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:02 AM   #5348
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
What? Are you actually serious?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:37 PM   #5349
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think my wife is right.

Chappelle is a D-Bag

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:51 PM   #5350
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Nope, he isn't.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #5351
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I think my wife is right.

Chappelle is a D-Bag

Old 10-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #5352
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Where were these employees for cuties? Apparently the extreme sexualization of very young girls is much more palatable to these people than chappelle crapping on their personal politics. Silicon valley in a nutshell right there.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2021, 11:24 AM   #5353
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Where were these employees for cuties? Apparently the extreme sexualization of very young girls is much more palatable to these people than chappelle crapping on their personal politics. Silicon valley in a nutshell right there.

Is a Netflix employee walk out the only metric for whether a show is awful? Both received wide-spread criticism.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #5354
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I think there are calls for Chappelle to be taken off of Netflix, but I don't think that's the primary motivation at this point. I'm not going to invalidate someone, especially a member of the LGBTQ+ community, feeling offended by the special. Generally, I'm for the majority of demands the protesters and Netflix employees are asking for, but I think they are mistaken in their target.

If they really looked at what Chappelle was saying and the points he was trying to make they may change their opinions of him and his comedy. Or maybe not. I just got a vastly different experience out of The Closer than they did, and I still don't fully understand the outrage, let alone call-outs for hate speech.
I don't have Netflix anymore so I can't specifically comment on the special or generate any sort of reaction but I thought that Bill Maher had a great dialogue last night with Yang and McWhorther.

calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #5355
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
A thread with a bunch of stuff being added in November. Tiger King 2? Good to see the Bourne movies added.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1451170206089371651
Seems like season 3 of MindHunter is never gonna happen. I get that production quality is better on modern streaming shows, but I miss the days when network shows just took the summer off.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:32 PM   #5356
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Seems like season 3 of MindHunter is never gonna happen. I get that production quality is better on modern streaming shows, but I miss the days when network shows just took the summer off.
That’s too bad. It’s my favourite Netflix show. I was going to rewatch the program so now I’ll do that and lament what could have been.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:06 PM   #5357
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I don't have Netflix anymore so I can't specifically comment on the special or generate any sort of reaction but I thought that Bill Maher had a great dialogue last night with Yang and McWhorther.

I typically can't stand Maher but he hit it out of the park on this one.

I haven't enjoyed any of Chapelles Netflix specials personally. However for anyone to take some offence to this is absurd in my opinion. If you don't like it don't watch it. But to take everything Chapelle says at face value is being more ignorant then he is. It's a comedy show. Outlandish untrue and ironic things are being said in constant forms of satire. I feel like to take offence is to really just prove his overall point correct.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:16 PM   #5358
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post

I haven't enjoyed any of Chapelles Netflix specials personally. However for anyone to take some offence to this is absurd in my opinion. If you don't like it don't watch it. But to take everything Chapelle says at face value is being more ignorant then he is. It's a comedy show. Outlandish untrue and ironic things are being said in constant forms of satire. I feel like to take offence is to really just prove his overall point correct.
I like Maher but I don't necessarily agree with all of his views but when it comes to his narrative on "woke society" and activism he is very much on the mark. Rightful movements and causes have become perverted by woke culture that is extreme to the point where the causes are being hurt.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 06:57 AM   #5359
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post

I think you're right on one level.

Comedy is also a reflection on what those comics believe and observe, although told to us in a humorous way.
Too often hate speech in comedy attempts to get covered by the generic "don't take it seriously it's just a joke" No. It's not always just a joke, and comedy shouldn't be a field where there is always a free pass to say what you want. Times are changing, comedy has to change along with it, and intelligent comics should be able to do so.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #5360
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I think you're right on one level.

Comedy is also a reflection on what those comics believe and observe, although told to us in a humorous way.
Too often hate speech in comedy attempts to get covered by the generic "don't take it seriously it's just a joke" No. It's not always just a joke, and comedy shouldn't be a field where there is always a free pass to say what you want. Times are changing, comedy has to change along with it, and intelligent comics should be able to do so.
I would say it's definitely more complex with Chappelle. He's perceives an injustice created by the relatively quick progress addressing one form of discrimination vs the relative lack of progress for the one affecting himself. It was a joke about this (the car analogy) that got much of this controversy started. Large parts of the Kevin Hart jokes were also directed at this point. Society was willing to strip a black man, who'd suffered through society, of his chance to host the Oscars because he made a joke a decade prior. Meanwhile, virtually all of Western society was discriminatory towards black people in the past (and ongoing), but those structures are allowed to just keep on going.

This is going to be a major issue for anyone involved in left wing thought. Relativism vs. absolutism and competing human rights. For example, how do you reconcile religions of minority groups vs. LGTBQ rights. Do you just demand that they modernize their religions? How do you go about enforcing that?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: