Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2021, 11:23 AM   #181
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
He’s shown literally nothing good at the pro level even when healthy

Goalie progression isn’t linear but if you’re 24 and not good at the ECHL it’s over for you as a pro

If he hasn’t busted then literally no goalie prospect can be labeled a bust 6 years after his draft class, which is ridiculous

The Markstrom comparison is seriously hilarious. He won the world champs at the same as the starter, had started 40 nhl games and had three good seasons in the AHL. Very Parsons-esque
Cool story, you might want to send a memo to the Leafs that they should cut Jack Campbell. You should apply for a job to oversee the Flames scouts as well, don't know why they would have kept a guy who was a bust years ago for another year, especially with the depth we have down in the minors in that position.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:42 AM   #182
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Cool story, you might want to send a memo to the Leafs that they should cut Jack Campbell. You should apply for a job to oversee the Flames scouts as well, don't know why they would have kept a guy who was a bust years ago for another year, especially with the depth we have down in the minors in that position.
Well now I’m convinced you don’t even know what scouts do
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:19 PM   #183
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Goalies take longer to develop. I guess the guy we signed a big contract to as a UFA to be our starter is a bust too as he didn't really come into his own until his late 20's. Saying a 24 year old goalie busted out years ago is ridiculous, that is implying he never was a decent prospect. There are certainly no guarantees he gets back on track but the possibility is there.
While this is absolutely true, the problem with Parsons is that he's barely had any opportunities to develop during these crucial years. 48 AHL games along with some ECHL games with generally poor results doesn't bode well at this point.

I've had some opportunities to watch him play closely over the years and what I see is a goalie who is reliant on athleticism (good), is slightly undersized while still trying to figure out his depth positioning at a pro level (bad).

Coupled with the mental and physical injuries he's had, the odds are super stacked against him though not impossible to break out, I guess.

Goalies in this age range with similar situations usually have something more working for them. Maybe it's athleticism with size (Knight), a crazy ability to read a play/puck tracking (Campbell), and/or perfect positioning (Saros).

Personally, I don't see it. Parsons is a reactive goalie with high athleticism but I don't think that's enough at the pro level. However, I can see why he was attractive to scouts in Junior.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:20 PM   #184
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I wouldn't go quite so far to say that Parsons is a bust, it's pretty obvious that time is getting short and this year is pretty crucial for him. Sadly, for whatever reason, he didn't do what was necessary for him to join a really important training camp and that only is going to further hurt his chances. This training camp would have given the Flames a chance to see him, in order, to try to find him the best possible spot to get his career on track and now they won't have that opportunity.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:04 PM   #185
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well now I’m convinced you don’t even know what scouts do
Well I am convinced you don't know even understand hockey period, so what? Saying a 24 year old goalie was a bust years ago after coming off a world Juniors gold and memorial cup win is a ridiculous statement no matter what you argue.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:14 PM   #186
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Parsons has missed a ton of time.

Expect nothing, and if he surprises, wonderful.

It's hard to get better at goaltending if he hasn't been playing.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #187
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Honestly I don't think there's much of an argument if the word "bust" wasn't used.

He's a second round pick, not a top five pick, and a guy that's battled mental issues etc. To say his chances are getting thin is pretty fair, to say it's over or he's a bust seems a little cold.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #188
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess, Flames will likely not qualify Parsons when his RFA contract expires at the end of this year.

Making him an UFA
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:50 PM   #189
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Honestly I don't think there's much of an argument if the word "bust" wasn't used.

He's a second round pick, not a top five pick, and a guy that's battled mental issues etc. To say his chances are getting thin is pretty fair, to say it's over or he's a bust seems a little cold.
That is absolutely fair, with all the things that got him off track it certainly makes it an uphill battle. I took issue with saying he busted out years ago from a poster who always looks for the negative lining in all things Flames.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:00 PM   #190
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That is absolutely fair, with all the things that got him off track it certainly makes it an uphill battle. I took issue with saying he busted out years ago from a poster who always looks for the negative lining in all things Flames.
Liking some prospects/trades/picks and disliking some isn’t being negative it’s just being objective

If you look at every move the franchise makes positively then the emotional bias is with you, which is fine on a fan forum, but the people whining about negativity amongst the fan base when the results ARE negative are getting more annoying then these so called “negative fans” who don’t like the annual choice of a first round exit or drafting 14th overall
Old 09-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #191
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

If you can’t use the word bust for a player with bad results in the ECHL then you might as well retire the word
Old 09-24-2021, 02:10 PM   #192
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Liking some prospects/trades/picks and disliking some isn’t being negative it’s just being objective

If you look at every move the franchise makes positively then the emotional bias is with you, which is fine on a fan forum, but the people whining about negativity amongst the fan base when the results ARE negative are getting more annoying then these so called “negative fans” who don’t like the annual choice of a first round exit or drafting 14th overall
It's equally annoying when people think that their own opinion is the "objective one".

We are all biased.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #193
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved the Parsons pick when it happened, and I thought he was practically a God in his D+1 season (especially the playoffs).

To say that he has been hampered with injuries (and personal issues) is an understatement. It is unfortunate that a kid THAT talented has been besieged by what he has in his pro career.

With that being said, this is probably the last season that the Flames are going to keep him around for unless he stays healthy and shows himself to be a top prospect. I think he an do it - and I was betting on him.

Him rumoured to not be vaxxed and all... just makes me shake my head if true. Just setting himself for a tough year - not only with the organization/teammates and perhaps will affect his starts depending on requirements, but maybe he does catch it and ends up sitting out for an entire season, ala Stalock.

This is his last season to really impress the Flames, and the easiest year in the foreseeable future to impress other NHL teams. His development road will get harder from here if he can't find an NHL team to sign him next season and plant him on an AHL squad. ECHL and Europe after that, I suppose, maybe a PTO? I don't know. It is much easier working his way up from here. I just shake my head at how he may be setting himself up for a terrible season by entering this season unvaxxed.

Really hoping for the best here. This kid just needs to stay healthy and shine for once. He was literally unbeatable in junior, especially his D+1 season, and also had a fantastic World Juniors.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #194
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The Flames needed someone at that position, even an afterthought, to fufill Expansion Draft requirements.

The organization then went out and signed a bunch of young goaltenders (including Stockton/Kansas City slots).

Parsons then balks at reporting to camp/is deemed ineligible.

Curious... is something else going on behind the scenes?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:35 PM   #195
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
If you can’t use the word bust for a player with bad results in the ECHL then you might as well retire the word
I guess maybe I'm a little more compassionate and patient.

He's a goalie, and their archs are never the same. Add in some tough injuries and then the depression/anxiety stuff and I think jumping to the word "bust" seems a bit insensitive.

You be you though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 02:36 PM   #196
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

You know it's possible to be critical without a drive by right?

Calling Sutter's defense decisions dumb is different than suggesting a different way or pointing out concerns.

Nobody is asking anyone to only see good in things. But maybe get off the pulpit and stop making it sound like you're the expert on all things.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:48 PM   #197
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think calling out Sutter on day 1 of camp, a coach with a great reputation and track record who’s trying to find chemistry after the captain and long time member of the defence core is no longer part of the team is quiet frankly ridiculous.
If we get to game 20 and it’s not working and he refuses to change… I’m with you.

Last edited by monkeyman; 09-24-2021 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Bshriaiydh
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:51 PM   #198
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
It's equally annoying when people think that their own opinion is the "objective one".

We are all biased.
A good litmus test is what an educated non flames fan would think. Doubt there’s one with excitement over Parsons professional future

Or any that are bullish on our D core this season

If there are I’m very willing to look at their logic as to how they arrive there, but “goalies develop different” isn’t enough to sway me when I don’t see any positive development happening whatsoever
Old 09-24-2021, 03:09 PM   #199
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
A good litmus test is what an educated non flames fan would think. Doubt there’s one with excitement over Parsons professional future

Or any that are bullish on our D core this season

If there are I’m very willing to look at their logic as to how they arrive there, but “goalies develop different” isn’t enough to sway me when I don’t see any positive development happening whatsoever
So you don't see any real estate between

a) bust and excitement over Parson's professional future
b) pairings are dumb and stating you are bullish on the team's D core

Really?

Nobody is asking anyone to be positive where things aren't that positive, maybe just be less of a know it all.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:33 PM   #200
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with neo45 in classifying Parsons as a bust. I am pretty sure that the expansion draft is the only reason he is still with the organization. You can hope he turns into something, but I doubt it would happen with the Flames. In addition, I doubt anyone would give you more than a 7th round pick for the guy. That's just my opinion, but I guess we define a bust differently.

His D+1 year, and the high hopes is why I consider him a bust more than the actual draft position. You had an asset, a 2nd round pick, that looked like a world beater in his D+1 year. Then injuries simply derailed his game. At this point he is so far behind, that projecting any NHL future is a very long bet. I doubt any of you would like 1:1 or even 1:10 odds on Parsons making it to the NHL.

PS: By making it I mean getting more than 1 game in the end of the season. Or being the 2nd goalie called up by a team decimated by injuries.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote