Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2021, 09:36 PM   #241
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Spoiler!
If any of this was driven by jealousy, or all I cared about was my own financial well being and furthering my personal self interests, there's no way I'd ​be advocating a policy that would be of detriment to me personally. And I certainly wouldn't be spending my time posting on CP about things like inequality, climate change, etc. Nothing about this is "fun" for me, as you seem to suggest.

Your post, while containing lots of good information regarding tax policy, comes across as not seeing the forest for the trees. You're putting all the emphasis on the fine print/technical details of each policy, and not bothering to get at the heart of what truly matters here. Wealth inequality continues to get increasingly stark, more and more of the world's wealth (and the political power that comes with it) is concentrating into fewer and fewer hands, and the system that those people are using to grow their wealth at historic levels is the same system that's polluting our environment into oblivion. What's more, the big winners of a global pandemic that has caused incalculable human suffering have been the wealthiest members of society. You can probably guess who the big winners of climate change are going to be...

If it seems like I'm mixing up Canadian & US policies here, it's because wealth inequality is a global problem, and the only way to fundamentally solve it is to do so on a global scale. In that sense it's just like climate change; it's a problem that needs a collaborative effort by the global community to tackle. That said, it's still important to make changes here in Canada, as the issue of how much of the nation's tax burden should fall on whose shoulders, is an important topic to broach.

GST hurting middle class... fair point.

Tax avoidance vs tax minimizing... seems like an argument of semantics/technicalities. Ultimately they are getting at the same concept: ways to legally reduce one's taxes. The distinction there doesn't have much of a difference, IMO.

Your TV analogy doesn't make much sense to me. Of course there's nothing wrong with a person doing everything possible to buy a product at the lowest possible price that a business is willing to sell it for, just like there's nothing wrong with a person doing everything that's legally allowed within the tax code. My issue is with the tax code itself. It does seem like we could find ways to reduce the tax minimizing strategies that the wealthy have available to them. You contend that this would lead to a mass exodus of talent and innovation, I would contend that we're not near that threshold yet. I also think that governments place too much emphasis on attracting & retaining talent. Is it important? Of course it is. But not as important as a lot of people make it out to be. For all the talent the US has, they have a disturbingly high rate of poverty.

So do I have a perfect smoking gun plan with every single detailed ironed out? No. But that doesn't mean that wealth inequality isn't a major problem, nor does it mean there's nothing we can do about it.

Last edited by Mathgod; 09-23-2021 at 09:59 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:55 PM   #242
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Actually, the opposite is largely true. Additional wealth, in the hands of the poor and the middle class, results in additional spending, or as you described it: more money chasing around goods & services.

Wealth, in the hands of the rich, does not generate spending, it generates investment. We can debate whether this is a net benefit or a net hindrance to the economy, but what it doesn't do is push up the prices of goods and services.

What you may be trying to get at is that more economic activity results in more inflation. This is true, but inflation is well known as the enemy it is, and central banks are very diligent towards keeping it in check.

Yes, if we slowed the economy down, there would be less inflation, but I very much doubt that slowing the economy down would benefit the poor.
More investment leads to a rise in stock prices which means investors make more money which generally means they spend more money. Investment and spending are interconnected. One leads to the other and vice versa. So while a billionaire may have most of his wealth tied up in non liquid forms, other people are essentially spending money into the economy on his/her behalf. This leads to inflation.

There are better ways of helping the poor than kowtowing to multimillionaires & billionaires.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:10 PM   #243
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I don't believe this was the goal - pre-Covid, they were keeping interest rates low to fight deflationary risks.
I've yet to read anything about that. There was definitely detention at the beginning of the pandemic, when no one was spending any money. Various consumer goods were very cheap.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:17 PM   #244
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
More investment leads to a rise in stock prices which means investors make more money which generally means they spend more money. Investment and spending are interconnected. One leads to the other and vice versa. So while a billionaire may have most of his wealth tied up in non liquid forms, other people are essentially spending money into the economy on his/her behalf. This leads to inflation.

There are better ways of helping the poor than kowtowing to multimillionaires & billionaires.
Pick a fight and stick with it.

You said billionaires cause inflation (which is false). Now you're saying the stock market creates wealth which results in more spending, which causes inflation. Okay, but people creating wealth is a good thing. The resulting inflation is not outpacing the wealth creation. More wealth means more taxes, which means more benefits for the poor.

I get the feeling that what you really want is for everyone to cough up their wealth so the government can distribute it equally to everyone. No one is poor if everyone is equally poor!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:19 PM   #245
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I've yet to read anything about that. There was definitely detention at the beginning of the pandemic, when no one was spending any money. Various consumer goods were very cheap.
Deflation has been a global concern for some time - it is the primary driving force behind the quantitative easing programs that has been happening since 2008.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:20 PM   #246
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
If any of this was driven by jealousy, or all I cared about was my own financial well being and furthering my personal self interests, there's no way I'd ​be advocating a policy that would be of detriment to me personally. And I certainly wouldn't be spending my time posting on CP about things like inequality, climate change, etc. Nothing about this is "fun" for me, as you seem to suggest.

Your post, while containing lots of good information regarding tax policy, comes across as not seeing the forest for the trees. You're putting all the emphasis on the fine print/technical details of each policy, and not bothering to get at the heart of what truly matters here. Wealth inequality continues to get increasingly stark, more and more of the world's wealth (and the political power that comes with it) is concentrating into fewer and fewer hands, and the system that those people are using to grow their wealth at historic levels is the same system that's polluting our environment into oblivion. What's more, the big winners of a global pandemic that has caused incalculable human suffering have been the wealthiest members of society. You can probably guess who the big winners of climate change are going to be...

If it seems like I'm mixing up Canadian & US policies here, it's because wealth inequality is a global problem, and the only way to fundamentally solve it is to do so on a global scale. In that sense it's just like climate change; it's a problem that needs a collaborative effort by the global community to tackle. That said, it's still important to make changes here in Canada, as the issue of how much of the nation's tax burden should fall on whose shoulders, is an important topic to broach.

GST hurting middle class... fair point.

Tax avoidance vs tax minimizing... seems like an argument of semantics/technicalities. Ultimately they are getting at the same concept: ways to legally reduce one's taxes. The distinction there doesn't have much of a difference, IMO.

Your TV analogy doesn't make much sense to me. Of course there's nothing wrong with a person doing everything possible to buy a product at the lowest possible price that a business is willing to sell it for, just like there's nothing wrong with a person doing everything that's legally allowed within the tax code. My issue is with the tax code itself. It does seem like we could find ways to reduce the tax minimizing strategies that the wealthy have available to them. You contend that this would lead to a mass exodus of talent and innovation, I would contend that we're not near that threshold yet. I also think that governments place too much emphasis on attracting & retaining talent. Is it important? Of course it is. But not as important as a lot of people make it out to be. For all the talent the US has, they have a disturbingly high rate of poverty.

So do I have a perfect smoking gun plan with every single detailed ironed out? No. But that doesn't mean that wealth inequality isn't a major problem, nor does it mean there's nothing we can do about it.
No, it isn't semantics - tax avoidance is a crime.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:56 AM   #247
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, it isn't semantics - tax avoidance is a crime.
I would say tax evasion is illegal, but there's technically nothing wrong with tax avoidance (legally). Ethically it may or may not be wrong. But really, how is it the fault of the user to utilize loopholes to their favour? Is it not the government's duty to make sure these loopholes are closed? I think people blur the line between avoidance and tax minimization though, which I guess can confuse people (me being one of them).

I know I try to minimize my taxes annually utilizing the tools given to me (ie. taking advantage of all the tax deductions, RRSP deferrals, etc.) In Mathgod's eyes, it seems like if I were a millionaire / billionaire doing that rather than just the average Joe Blow, I'd be doing something wrong.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:24 AM   #248
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe we can set aside the practical problems with an inheritance tax and turn to a problem it’s trying to address: the hardening of Canada into an intergenerational class system. A society where your parents’ income and affluence is responsible for setting your trajectory in life. Where the rich are all the children and grandchildren of the rich, the middle-class are the children and grand-children of the middle-class, and the poor are all the children and grandchildren of the poor.

We aren’t there yet. We aren’t the U.S., a country that contrary to myth has very low social mobility. But we’re trending that way. The wealthy and upper middle class are turning away from public education. The well-off are ponying up hundreds of thousands of dollars to ensure their children can own homes. The trillions the Boomers will pass on will gift the fortunate with windfalls and leave others with nothing.

Is this something we’re okay with? Was Canada’s egalitarianism of the 20th century a temporary anomaly that must inevitably give way to a society divided sharply by class?

And this isn’t about Jeff Bezos and the 1 per cent. The divide I’m talking about is the divide between a family with two professionals earning $100-150k, and a family with an adult earning 50k and another working part-time, or a single mom trying to raise two kids on the salary of a retail clerk. It’s the divide we seem really uncomfortable talking about - between the top 25 per cent and everyone else.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 08:38 AM   #249
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Deflation has been a global concern for some time - it is the primary driving force behind the quantitative easing programs that has been happening since 2008.
Source?

I think that's way oversimplified. And if I had to name the primary cause of quantitative easing, I would say growth - which has been positive but sluggish in most Western economies. The cynic in me would say the "primary" cause of quantitative easing is to keep money flowing in the financial markets.

But really, it's mostly about Western economies taken as a whole. I'm not sure deflation has really been a significant worry.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:44 AM   #250
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the low interest rates were to hit full employment in the market.

Also we get double taxed on basically everything if you consider consumption taxes.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:58 AM   #251
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Maybe we can set aside the practical problems with an inheritance tax and turn to a problem it’s trying to address: the hardening of Canada into an intergenerational class system. A society where your parents’ income and affluence is responsible for setting your trajectory in life. Where the rich are all the children and grandchildren of the rich, the middle-class are the children and grand-children of the middle-class, and the poor are all the children and grandchildren of the poor.

We aren’t there yet. We aren’t the U.S., a country that contrary to myth has very low social mobility. But we’re trending that way. The wealthy and upper middle class are turning away from public education. The well-off are ponying up hundreds of thousands of dollars to ensure their children can own homes. The trillions the Boomers will pass on will gift the fortunate with windfalls and leave others with nothing.

Is this something we’re okay with? Was Canada’s egalitarianism of the 20th century a temporary anomaly that must inevitably give way to a society divided sharply by class?

And this isn’t about Jeff Bezos and the 1 per cent. The divide I’m talking about is the divide between a family with two professionals earning $100-150k, and a family with an adult earning 50k and another working part-time, or a single mom trying to raise two kids on the salary of a retail clerk. It’s the divide we seem really uncomfortable talking about - between the top 25 per cent and everyone else.
I agree with this. So contrary to the OPs attack on billionaires, the real question is, for a working professional couple who might have amassed say around $1M in assets or more when they pass away, should the government be entitled to a chunk of that to ensure they get a piece of the pie every time there's wealth transfer, regardless of if it's $300K, $1M or $10M?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #252
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I guess I'd question whether the way to address a possible issue with social mobility is with an estate tax? I mean, you're saying that the US has a problem here and they have the tax in place, so that seems to be ineffective.

And to be entirely forthright, the example you give of two professionals making $125k each compared to others making $50-60k/year is just always going to be a problem. I'm not sure how you can address that kind of inequality. I went to school with some brilliant people who went on to do nothing, and some other brilliant people who went on to be surgeons or lawyers or mayors. Arguably, the issue there wasn't opportunity, but application and choices that these people made.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:45 AM   #253
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
And to be entirely forthright, the example you give of two professionals making $125k each compared to others making $50-60k/year is just always going to be a problem. I'm not sure how you can address that kind of inequality. I went to school with some brilliant people who went on to do nothing, and some other brilliant people who went on to be surgeons or lawyers or mayors. Arguably, the issue there wasn't opportunity, but application and choices that these people made.
The world's always going to need ditch diggers...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #254
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
But it’s a problem that’s getting worse. Countries vary in how much economic mobility they have. Canada and Germany have more than the UK and U.S. But mobility is decreasing here. We’re becoming more like the U.S., and can expect to see the social ills that afflict the U.S. - crime, division, distrust - increase.

One school used to be much like another on Canada, and students across all economic classes would attend them together. Now professional-class parents send their kids to private and charter schools. When I was a kid, the children of affluent families in Pump Hill, Bayview, and Palliser went to John Ware. Now the students who attend John Ware all come from Braeside, Cedarbrae, and Woodlands because the affluent families now send their kids to Westmount Charter and Webber Academy.

We know that the amount of money first-time homeowners get from parents has soared into the 100k+ range. That was not the case 30 years ago. And it will only widen the divide between the professional classes and the rest.

The trends are all pointing towards Canada becoming more like the U.S. - more stratified, more divided. The fact it’s caused largely by smart parents doing what’s best for their children doesn’t make it any less troubling to those of us who think the U.S. is a trainwreck.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 09-24-2021 at 10:11 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #255
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But it’s a problem that’s getting worse. Countries vary in how much economic mobility they have. Canada and Germany have more than the UK and U.S. But mobility is decreasing here. We’re becoming more like the U.S., and can expect to see the social ills that afflict the U.S. - crime, division, distrust - increase.

One school used to be much like another on Canada, and students across all economic classes would attend them together. Now professional-class parents send their kids to private and charter schools. When I was a kid, the children of affluent families in Pump Hill, Bayview, and Palliser all went to John Ware. Now the students who attend John Ware all come from Braeside, Cedarbrae, and Woodlands because the affluent families now send their kids to Westmount Charter and Webber Academy.

We know that the amount of money first-time homeowners get from parents has soared into the 100k+ range. That was not the case 30 years ago. And it will only widen the divide between the professional classes and the rest.

The trends are all pointing towards Canada becoming more like the U.S. - more stratified, more divided. The fact it’s caused by smart parents doing what’s best for their children doesn’t change that.
I'm not saying there's no issue though. What I'm asking is whether an estate tax is the best way to address that? I don't think it is.

And have you been in John Ware lately? It's probably unchanged from what it was 30 years ago...there's not even a computer lab in there! It's no wonder that parents want to send their kids elsewhere. I'm a graduate of the public system with the unwashed masses, and kind of think that it was good enough for me, so it's good enough for my kids. But when you see things like that, it does boggle the mind on how kids will compete going forward.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:13 AM   #256
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Source?

I think that's way oversimplified. And if I had to name the primary cause of quantitative easing, I would say growth - which has been positive but sluggish in most Western economies. The cynic in me would say the "primary" cause of quantitative easing is to keep money flowing in the financial markets.

But really, it's mostly about Western economies taken as a whole. I'm not sure deflation has really been a significant worry.
Of course its an oversimplification - this is a chat forum, and if I post more than 2 paragraphs, most people won't read it.

As to the bold, we are saying the same thing: growth has been sluggish, and the purpose of quantitative easing is to keep money flowing because the risk is that it doesn't keep flowing and growth could stall, which could trigger deflation (because the inflation rate is so slow already.

That's the point. In a normal environment, slowing growth doesn't warrant quantitative easing. The reason it is necessary is that, with the current set of global economic circumstances, deflation is an actual risk that needs to be defended against. It isn't just a lack of growth (that alone is enough), it's that a lack of growth, now, could significantly increase the risk of deflation.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:37 AM   #257
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So if mom and dad work hard and save some money, you don't think they should be able to pass that on to their children? Are we going to eliminate all personal motivation from the system and share everything equally? Because if we are, please let me know so that I can retire tomorrow and stop working so hard.

Also, your premise that all wealth creates class division is just not as cut and dried as you are suggesting.

First of all, anyone can be successful - the barriers to success are small. Yes, there are advantages to being wealthy, and yes, there are barriers from being poor, but everyone has some opportunity at success. And everyone has plenty of opportunity for failure. According to one source, only 21% of American millionaires received any inheritance, and only 16% received more than $100,000. (there are lots of studies and numbers online, so I am not going to bother quoting any one of them as the studies are typically informal - it is the aggregate data that is more relevant here)

Second, receiving that inheritance is not the automatic ticket to wealth building and class segregation that you are suggesting. Again, there are various informal studies that give a wide range of data, but the aggregate message is clear: people who receive an inheritance are often inclined to blow it, and the numbers for the 3rd generation (the grandkids), appear to be even worse. I have seen studies that suggest as many as 80% of inheritances are gone within 2 generations. Actual numbers are impossible to determine, but we can be confident that a significant number evaporate or largely evaporate.

Another thing that we tend to see is that the recipients tend to spend the money (one study suggested that most recipients spend at least half of the money fairly quickly (within a couple years or so). One of the complaints about saving is that the money isn't being spent - it isn't isn't 'in use'. However, once passed to the children it does tend to get spent. So that concern isn't all that great either.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 10:41 AM   #258
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another thing about saving that hasn't really been discussed is that it reduces one of the burdens of society.

The simple fact of the matter is there is very little appetite to have society pay for everyone's retirement - we simply can't afford that. People who save for their retirement remove themselves from the burden that society has to take care of their retirement.

People becoming financially independent for their retirement is a good thing for society. If they end up dying with some assets left, they should be able to do with those assets as they please (after paying the tax bill, of course).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #259
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So if mom and dad work hard and save some money, you don't think they should be able to pass that on to their children? Are we going to eliminate all personal motivation from the system and share everything equally? Because if we are, please let me know so that I can retire tomorrow and stop working so hard.

Also, your premise that all wealth creates class division is just not as cut and dried as you are suggesting.

First of all, anyone can be successful - the barriers to success are small. Yes, there are advantages to being wealthy, and yes, there are barriers from being poor, but everyone has some opportunity at success. And everyone has plenty of opportunity for failure. According to one source, only 21% of American millionaires received any inheritance, and only 16% received more than $100,000. (there are lots of studies and numbers online, so I am not going to bother quoting any one of them as the studies are typically informal - it is the aggregate data that is more relevant here)

Second, receiving that inheritance is not the automatic ticket to wealth building and class segregation that you are suggesting. Again, there are various informal studies that give a wide range of data, but the aggregate message is clear: people who receive an inheritance are often inclined to blow it, and the numbers for the 3rd generation (the grandkids), appear to be even worse. I have seen studies that suggest as many as 80% of inheritances are gone within 2 generations. Actual numbers are impossible to determine, but we can be confident that a significant number evaporate or largely evaporate.

Another thing that we tend to see is that the recipients tend to spend the money (one study suggested that most recipients spend at least half of the money fairly quickly (within a couple years or so). One of the complaints about saving is that the money isn't being spent - it isn't isn't 'in use'. However, once passed to the children it does tend to get spent. So that concern isn't all that great either.
Sorry Enoch, the bolded is an outrageous statement and shows a lack of understanding to what most low income families truly go through. It is not at all fair to say the barriers to success are small. As someone who went to private school, had my university paid for, and had every leg up in the world, I can say when compared to my peers I certainly was starting from a huge advantage. That advantage cannot be overstated.

Are there cases of low income individuals being able to be successful? Absolutely. But statistics show that they are far more likely to not graduate university.

As for mom and dad working hard, for sure - they should be able to pass some wealth down to their children. However, I believe to an extent anything over and above a threshold should get taxed heavily. Jury is out on what that threshold could or should be.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 11:33 AM   #260
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
This is superficial in the extreme. If an average inheritance is like $5000, I would certainly expect it is spent quickly.

If you're like a friend of mine who inherited about $50M in real estate, none of the principal has been spent and he's worth about double that now.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fair share , rich , tax , taxes , wealth