Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2021, 09:17 AM   #41
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm an anomaly as I remember next to nothing about that day, and part of what I believe I remember has been proven false.

I was in grade 12 and just putting my books into my locker when my best friend told me that someone attacked the US. I didn't believe him, so we went to the student lounge to watch the coverage. While I distinctly remember being there for the second plane hitting the tower, I wasn't as it was too early for me to be at school.

Other than that I have no recollection of anything from September 11, 2001.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:26 PM   #42
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just had the news on the tv but left the room briefly. My six year old son called me and said there is a gigantic fire on tv. I came out to see the news showing 9/11 footage, so I tried to explain to him what happened that day. Where do you even begin? God kids are so innocent. 9/11 absolutely changed everything.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:45 PM   #43
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The massive reach that the events had in the moment have provided researchers a tonne of data for studying so-called "flash-bulb" memories, and the results are revealing. While each and every one of us is dead certain about everything we experienced in those moments, on that day, numerous studies have shown that most of us are completely wrong about all sorts of things that seem to us as doubtless.

For example, I also remember very clearly watching the second plane hit the S. Tower live, just as I was getting ready to head to work that morning. My wife is convinced she watched it with me, but it happened @0600 here on the coast, and I am sure she was still sleeping.

We both share the same certainty about our own memories, but clearly at least one of us is completely wrong about it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
That's interesting. I have that as well in this case. I have two conflicting memories - coming out of a class and hearing news coverage over the radio in the hallways at school (which I remember because it was very strange) but then also seeing the 2nd plane hit the tower at home on CNN. Unless I could teleport there is no way both of those are true.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #44
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

This "flash-bulb" memory stuff is really fascinating.

I was working on my flight instructor rating at the time. I woke up for my day after the first plane hit, my mother was upstairs and told me a plane hit the WTC. I just figured it was a bad weather day in NYC and some poor schmuck in a Cessna hit it (remembering that the Empire State Building was hit by a B-25 back in the day in foggy weather).

I turned on the TV and started watching CNN, right away from the amount of smoke and damage I quickly removed my Cessna theory. Then from the live feed from the helicopter I suddenly see a 767 silhouette come into the frame and hit the second tower. Well that was it, goosebumps all over. Friends started calling me asking if knew what the heck was going on.

I had a flight later that morning, so after being glued to the TV until the towers came down I figured I might as well go the flight school at the airport (we were based at the international). Was hanging out with everyone else there in complete shock when the fax machine fired up and out came the fax from Nav Canada about the airspace being shut down and them enacting the SCATANA plan shutting everything down.

I hung around the airport with my scanner as the diversions started coming in, a lot of nervous voices from those pilots (especially the UA and American Airlines ones). A few even indicating to ATC that they were not going to put landing lights on, taking any little measure to be safe I guess.

The rest of the day was a bit of a blur, it happened to be a friends birthday and we spent the evening at Kilkenny up in Brentwood having some beers while the wall of tv's replayed everything over and over.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:39 PM   #45
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't read the whole thread, so apologies if my post is just repeating what others remember. Woke up this morning and I can't believe it's been 20 years since September 11, 2001. It seems like just yesterday that Nickelback released Silver Side Up. That's a lot of good times gong. Too bad. This phenomenal album went 8 times platinum in Canada, 6 times platinum in the US, and 3 times platinum in the UK. It even went platinum in Austria, the Netherlands, and Switzerland. I never forget to listen to it every September 11th. This thread title was a perfect way of how you remind me to listen to Nickelback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:49 PM   #46
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I still remember because I lived in the NE and I could see the Airport. All the plans just stacked up in the sky coming in for a landing.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:05 PM   #47
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Micheal Moore is screening his Fahrenheit 9/11 film now:

Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:24 PM   #48
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Working in the airline industry at the time, 9/11 hit pretty close to home. Visited New York for the first time in summer of 2002, and the pain and devastation felt in the city was still pretty raw. Missing person signs, ongoing demo and clean up of the WTC and surrounding area and heightened security. I felt an instant connection to the city and have retuned over a dozen times since… including this weekend.

Visited the 9/11 memorial today, and was reminded of the impact this event had on thousands of people.. not just those who perished. More flags, flowers and wreaths today, and it was heartbreaking to watch people who had obviously lost loved ones.

Felt I had to be here for some reason. Expecting the emotions to hit me pretty hard on Saturday.
JBR is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 10:08 PM   #49
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthefunky View Post
Just watched a good doc on Apple TV for those that have it.
Which one was it? There's like 6 results on apple TV.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:24 PM   #50
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Guess I’ll add my little story:

I had just started my first real job out of law school in Texas, and my kinda-girlfriend was doing a study abroad in London. My office was a few doors down from the office break room, and I remember hearing a lot of noise from there, but I didn’t really think much of it—plus, being the new hire and all, I didn’t want to look lazy or nosy or anything like that by going down and investigating.

Anyway, the kinda-girlfriend sent me an email saying that she had heard that something had happened in New York and asking if I knew anything about it. I replied with a “no,” but she kept pestering me and I eventually went down to the break room and saw half of the office watching the television (the Today Show, to be precise) and I think that I spent the next hour or so there, just watching the news.

What I vividly remember are four things:

1) The internet was exceptionally slow that day. Emails didn’t go out very quickly, and trying to refresh pages took seemingly forever. Why the kinda-girlfriend was trying to get news from me by email instead of just watching the BBC in London is something I’ll never understand, because it made no sense and was like relying on the Pony Express when the telephone was beside you.

2) There was a brief report at the time of a car bomb at the State Department, which later turned out to not be true, but when I heard that I remember thinking, “gee, this all seems to be rather serious” and I was beginning to wonder if anywhere was safe or if the entire country was going to be under sudden attack, including the relatively small and isolated town where I was.

3) That night, I had the sudden desire to hear my mom’s voice, which I had never really felt before.

4) The basic news networks had wall-to-wall coverage for days. No commercial breaks for hours and hours. It was both mesmerizing and horrific at the same time.

What I know for a fact, though, is that I didn’t see either Tower get hit in real-time, and I’m pretty sure that I didn’t see either of them fall either.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:07 AM   #51
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Which one was it? There's like 6 results on apple TV.
The 9/11: Inside the President’s War Room is likely it…was released this month. Fascinating interviews with Bush/Cheney/Rice/Rove about the first 24 hours. Bunch of new footage and photos I had never seen as well.
jar_e is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2021, 01:37 AM   #52
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's the one ^^
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:58 PM   #53
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't really looked that much, but was there ever any footage from inside the WTC after the buildings were hit? I know it was well before the smartphone days so probably not a lot (if any).

Crazy to think it's been 20 years. Truly one of the defining before/after events of our lives.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:12 PM   #54
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don’t dwell much on history “what if’s” but I really, really want to live in the multiverse where Gore won the election and 9/11 didn’t happen (for whatever reason, arrested prior, takeover of planes failed, planes crashed before they got to NY).

No war in Afghanistan, no Iraq 2.0, no trump, no Sarah palin, no Obama?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2021, 01:33 PM   #55
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I don’t dwell much on history “what if’s” but I really, really want to live in the multiverse where Gore won the election and 9/11 didn’t happen (for whatever reason, arrested prior, takeover of planes failed, planes crashed before they got to NY).

For starters, perhaps Gore would have taken his intelligence reports seriously...
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:02 PM   #56
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
With my fading memories, I still remember that exact day and what happened. I remember waking up for work, and turning on the news and the first plane had hit and it was a horrible accident. I finished showering and shaving and drove to work. I even remember listening to a Van Halen song the way to work.
Was that Van Halen song "Jump?" I definitely recall many, if not all radio stations, not playing any songs that had Jump in the title for an indefinite period of time such as House of Pain's "Jump Around" being suspended from the airwaves. The footage of seeing people jumping from the World Trade Centre buildings to their death was, to say the least, very depressing.

The falling man.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hwy19man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #57
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy19man View Post
Was that Van Halen song "Jump?" I definitely recall many, if not all radio stations, not playing any songs that had Jump in the title for an indefinite period of time such as House of Pain's "Jump Around" being suspended from the airwaves. The footage of seeing people jumping from the World Trade Centre buildings to their death was, to say the least, very depressing.

The falling man.

That has to be the saddest 4 minutes I've spent on YouTube.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:24 PM   #58
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

How would Gore’s election have stopped 9/11?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:36 PM   #59
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's possible. Plenty of stories about how the Bush admin ignored warnings, and they had close personal ties to the Saudi's. It could have gone different.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2021, 02:50 PM   #60
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Who said Gore’s election would have stopped 9/11? It’s a reasonable hypothesis, just not one that anyone made.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote