Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-22-2021, 01:40 PM   #2341
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Not sure if it still makes sense for a Civic, but Hagerty Insurance is specifically targeted at the collector/enthusiast market.
I don't think that's likely to work. The car needs to be pretty old and even then not heavily modified. Just being something an enthusiast might want to drive doesn't cut it (they won't insure my S4 Avant for example )
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 01:54 PM   #2342
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I don't think that's likely to work. The car needs to be pretty old and even then not heavily modified. Just being something an enthusiast might want to drive doesn't cut it (they won't insure my S4 Avant for example )
Hmm, I figured a Civic may not cut it, but a little surprised about an S4. Perhaps it being based off of a relatively mainstream sedan, or maybe because you daily it?

Age doesn't seem to be a huge issue, but they don't really seem to clarify any other qualifications other than value and condition.
https://www.hagerty.ca/insurance/cla...newer-vehicles

But yeah, probably not the way to go for this Civic.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:56 PM   #2343
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

You people need better insurance companies. Why wouldn't they insure an S4?

edit: oh, it's because I can't read and that's collector insurance.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:19 PM   #2344
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Hmm, I figured a Civic may not cut it, but a little surprised about an S4. Perhaps it being based off of a relatively mainstream sedan, or maybe because you daily it?
I dunno, I called them a few years ago when I got it because they had previously insured a classic for me and they were like, "Nope, unless the car is at least 25 years old there is a limited list of vehicles we'll insure". For example they wouldn't insure any Porsche newer than 2000. I'm still on the RS4 hunt (closer all the time...) and when I talked to them about potentially insuring that if I brought it across the pond they said there were no guarantees (even though they actually do insure the sedan RS4 that was sold here, just not the S4).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 10-22-2021, 02:24 PM   #2345
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like a B7 RS4?
Old 10-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #2346
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Correct. The Avant. i.e. https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/d...e-d8448b0a92d2
Old 10-22-2021, 03:32 PM   #2347
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should call TD. I had no problem insuring my similar situation car. The only thing they asked if it was RHD. I don't think that would have affected them insuring it though, just my rate.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:35 PM   #2348
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure I could get TD to insure it, yeah, but Hagerty generally gives you better rates because they assume that an enthusiast is going to take good care of their car and not put it in a position to get stolen, vandalized, run into by a bus while parked in a dumb place on the side of the road, etc. I was basically just looking into my options once I find one that I can actually bring over (the one in the link, for example, can't be imported until October 2022 because that will be 15 years from the date of manufacture).
Old 10-22-2021, 03:36 PM   #2349
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh I'm well aware of the car lol.

I'm honestly surprised Hagerty insures anything under 25 years old tbh.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 03:52 PM   #2350
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Every single vehicle I’ve ever owned has been modified...literally. What insurance company is this? I’m pretty thorough and don’t recall ever seeing a clause against modifications I’m with All State, Intact or TD?

Also, congrats on the kid and the car.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:07 AM   #2351
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so my wife (moreso than myself) made a decision to buy herself a 2021 volkswagen tiguan.

i was a little surprised as this decision was ultimately driven by having to replace my son's vehicle, so he will get her current daily driver.

i was also surprised as my wife was initally interested in a 2019 tiguan, that ticked some of her vehicle wants, but not all - and last thursday, we looked at he 2019, and shortly after the intial test drive she pivoted to being very interested in a 2021 that ticked all her boxes. This is her first new vehicle, and we have not had vehicle payments in a very long time as we generally keep our vehicles for 8 or more years.

We don't pick it up until saturday.

times must be alright in the vehicle sales as there were two 2022's in the show room thrusday that were showing as sold by saturday

this will be the first non-ford vehicle i have ever had a hand in paying for
Old 10-25-2021, 10:39 AM   #2352
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just picked up a new vehicle and there is a fairly light scratch on the windshield about 8 inches long. Not a crack. Does anyone have any advice? Any way to fix this? Any place I can take it to?

I would ask the dealership to fix it, but have no proof that I didn't cause the damage.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:43 AM   #2353
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's still worth bringing it in to the dealership and asking them about if they'll help you out with it. Can't see a downside.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 10:49 AM   #2354
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will ask the dealership. In the event that they won't help, is there any solution outside of replacing the windshield?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:56 AM   #2355
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Man, looking for a fun four-door manual car is such a downer these days, let alone in a wagon. Is it true that Audi has nothing for me? I think an M3 has a manual, but I cannot deal with that front grill (ignoring they're more than I want to spend). It's fataing hideous and an absolute deal breaker.

The GTI and R are promising from a driving perspective, but the clusterfata of an interior looks to be a deal breaker there, too. Don't love the front end, either, although you hear a lot of peoples saying it looks better in person. I'll try it out for myself when they hit the dealerships soon here, but I'm not super excited going in, that's for sure.

Any other four-door wagons, hatches or cars that are at least a little premium (versus, say, a Veloster) that you guys can think of? AWD preferred, but FWD is acceptable. Looking for a year-round car.

I could just stick with my CLS because it's really fast and plenty premium with AWD, but the problem I'm finding is that because it's automatic, I actually have more fun driving my 2017 base VW Sportwagen that I had bought for my daughter (it's manual). Once she turns 16 soon here, I have to kiss that one goodbye and then I'm back to lame old auto-land.

Also, I could be biased against automatics because my CLS doesn't have a dual clutch (it's not the AMG) so the paddle shifting is pretty slow and unsatisfying...maybe the modern quick-shift dual clutches would be more engaging, but really, I just want a manual.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:56 AM   #2356
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I will ask the dealership. In the event that they won't help, is there any solution outside of replacing the windshield?
There are glass repair kits available for scratches at most auto parts stores, yeah... Napa has them. I don't think it'll make the scratch magically disappear though, more likely make it less obvious and prevent it from getting worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Man, looking for a fun four-door manual car is such a downer these days, let alone in a wagon. Is it true that Audi has nothing for me?
Nope, nada. It's all used cars from here out out, I'm afraid.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #2357
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Nope, nada. It's all used cars from here out out, I'm afraid.
That sucks. I'm all about used, but this one I want to lease through my business so new just makes more sense for that reason alone.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:04 AM   #2358
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I thought there were methods of polishing pitted/scratched windshields, but no idea if anyone locally offers such a service.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #2359
CPK80
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Tesla Inc on Monday neared US$1 trillion in market capitalization as the company founded by Elon Musk received its biggest-ever order — 100,000 electric rental cars for Hertz.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/tesl...rder-1.5637213
CPK80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CPK80 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #2360
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sure I could get TD to insure it, yeah, but Hagerty generally gives you better rates because they assume that an enthusiast is going to take good care of their car and not put it in a position to get stolen, vandalized, run into by a bus while parked in a dumb place on the side of the road, etc. I was basically just looking into my options once I find one that I can actually bring over (the one in the link, for example, can't be imported until October 2022 because that will be 15 years from the date of manufacture).

I talked to Hagerty and in principle they could insure the civic, but the closer to a daily driver it is the more it costs. Unfortunately they require the driver to have minimum ten years experience, not four.

I went through a broker and found liability coverage for a healthy sum. Current plan is to license and insure it short term for some test drives and inspection, park it for the winter to work on it, then re-evaluate in the spring. Returning it to stock status is one option.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post: