Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2022, 01:18 PM   #141
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Median individual income and average SFH are bad comparisons to use when accessing or comparing housing affordability.

If you want to discuss SFHs you should be using median family income against Median SFH. You should also be using the greater Metro area and not just metro Vancouver proper.

Even when you do this their is likely still affordability issues but it’s a much more reasonable comparison.
No one's talking about median individual income, or SFHs.

That's the "benchmark price" for all housing types and the income required and says nothing about whether it's a single or dual income, etc...

For a detached SFH, the price jumps to almost $2.1mm... For that, you'd need an income (individual or dual) of over $400,000... Doesn't seem any more reasonable.

Edit: My numbers are from here... Not sure if the boundary indicated is Metro or Greater Metro Vancouver... In any case, Langley and Maple Ridge are a long ways out.

Last edited by you&me; 07-22-2022 at 01:21 PM.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:24 PM   #142
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Some of those setups could be rented out for $1K a month!

https://globalnews.ca/news/8973620/v...eet-tent-city/
I make a point of going through and around the downtown east side from time to time to take a look, and it's awful. The tents, the little market on the street, the people hanging around, it all reminds me of stuff I've seen in places like India or other developing/emerging markets, except that in Vancouver it's not an emerging market and the people aren't there because they've come out of rural poverty to seek a better life in the city so much as they're in brutal downward spirals resulting from conditions in the city even as they are in a rich developed nation. Any trip through the dtes, you can pretty much count on seeing at least one ambulance with paramedics attempting to revive someone dying on the street or in an alley. It's really sad.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:31 PM   #143
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some of those setups could be rented out for $1K a month!

https://globalnews.ca/news/8973620/v...eet-tent-city/
See? Thats what I mean! Creativity!

They make some pretty amazing tents these days!

They should build a floating apartment complex or something and moor it in the harbour.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:37 PM   #144
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vancouver Third Least Affordable City in the World

Quote:
The survey was conducted by Demographia International Housing Affordability, a public policy firm in St. Louis. It covered the third quarter of 2021, included 92 cities and urban areas in Australia, Canada, China, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, the U.K., and the U.S.
Quote:
The survey is based on a measure called median multiples, a price-to-income ratio that uses the median house price divided by median household income.

Vancouver’s median multiple in 2022 of 13.3 means a home costs more than 13 times the average annual income. Before the pandemic, the figure was 11.9.
Quote:
“Since 2010, when rental restrictions in stratas were lifted, realtors representing groups of investors started buying lots of units and the condo inventory. It made it more challenging for new homeowners and first-time homeowners to get in, and so they have had a lack of equity generation. It’s been hard to climb the market in the traditional way since then.
Quote:
“People need parental help, or a few have large incomes or wealth to jump in. They’re not getting in from the base level. There are more multiple property owners, refinancing to buy another property.”

Old 07-22-2022, 02:25 PM   #145
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I make a point of going through and around the downtown east side from time to time to take a look, and it's awful. The tents, the little market on the street, the people hanging around, it all reminds me of stuff I've seen in places like India or other developing/emerging markets, except that in Vancouver it's not an emerging market and the people aren't there because they've come out of rural poverty to seek a better life in the city so much as they're in brutal downward spirals resulting from conditions in the city even as they are in a rich developed nation. Any trip through the dtes, you can pretty much count on seeing at least one ambulance with paramedics attempting to revive someone dying on the street or in an alley. It's really sad.
It's a different world. Obviously I feel bad for the people of the CTES but you also have to feel for the business owners and people living in apartments and condos around there. The problem just keeps pushing further and further out. I mentioned it previously, maybe even in this thread but the problem is pushing into the main parts of downtown like Robson and Granville street. Something needs to be done but I haven't the foggiest idea what.

My neighbor works for the city in sanitation and has worked the DTES for nearly 20 years. He always said he was treated with a great deal of respect as he was nice and acknowledge the people as people. But he has said it has completely changed and more and more people are becoming more aggressive and confrontational. He is going through workers about every two months. The situation is really starting to get to him I also understand why Canada Post wanted to suspend services in the area. I don't think people should have to put up with that while just trying to earn a living.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 02:58 PM   #146
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it seems like the people in Chinatown are getting screwed too.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8800892/p...vernment-help/

From being pepper sprayed and robbed of air conditioners one summer, to having female staff members physically attacked while walking to or waiting at bus stops, arriving at work to mattress and garbage fires set around the building or the “non-stop graffiti, defecation, needles in doorways,” To said her family has seen it all.

On March 8, Vancouver police said 41-year-old woman walking near Main and East Pender Streets was attacked by a stranger who stuck a needle in her leg.

The VPD arrested a female suspect in the alleged assault, while a separate female suspect was also arrested in another alleged random hypodermic needle stabbing near East Pender and Abbott Streets last October.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:04 PM   #147
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

The pandemic made things really bad downtown. I'm in a condo in Yaletown and things were fine before, but during the pandemic, people started sleeping outside our building and it doesn't appear they have any plans to leave. The poor building caretaker spends the start of his shift hosing down human waste every morning.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:55 PM   #148
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, though not as bad as the epicenter just west of Hastings and Main, much of downtown gets it now, as does much or Mount Pleasant and Grandview-Woodland. It's a pretty substantial portion of the geographical area of Vancouver proper that has people in pretty bad conditions that substantially affect communities. There's also a surprising amount of gun violence, at least surprising to me as someone who came back to Canada after 15 years away and hadn't imagined it could be so common in Vancouver.

Old 07-22-2022, 04:24 PM   #149
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

I'm in the West End, and after about 11PM it's a little like a zombie apocalypse. Every alley has numerous people slowly shuffling up and down them high on whatever. Our maintenance guy also spends his mornings cleaning crap.

Should have known: years ago, my brother overheard a couple homeless guys in Montreal discussing the best ways to get to Vancouver, whether by bus or the back of a train...

Living in Vancouver is seriously strange sometimes.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2022, 04:30 PM   #150
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
The pandemic made things really bad downtown. I'm in a condo in Yaletown and things were fine before, but during the pandemic, people started sleeping outside our building and it doesn't appear they have any plans to leave. The poor building caretaker spends the start of his shift hosing down human waste every morning.

Yaletown? Really? It was a dump in the 80s and 90s but when I left my place of work in 2012 it was pretty damn nice. Even the hookers moved out by then. Shows you how much I get down town these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2022, 08:13 PM   #151
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Victoria BC is no good

https://twitter.com/user/status/1554139775153479680

Hopefully, mercy is granted to the people doing this when they happen to deflate the tires of an SUV belonging to a family about to rush out to the hospital because baby is ready to come out and the dad-to-be catches them.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:15 PM   #152
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup. Living out of an an SuV in Victoria is about to get me in some legal trouble if these twits find me.

I need out. But the work is finally paying out well. Still can't find a place to rent.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:16 PM   #153
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

They need to goto the airport and deflate all the tires on the private jets first.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:17 PM   #154
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Yup. Living out of an an SuV in Victoria is about to get me in some legal trouble if these twits find me.

I need out. But the work is finally paying out well. Still can't find a place to rent.
Holy. Is it worth it to live there? I couldn't imagine living out of a car for more than a day.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:17 PM   #155
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Yep, people on the west coast have been gliding into extremism for years now.

There are laws in place to handle these people though.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:21 PM   #156
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Holy. Is it worth it to live there? I couldn't imagine living out of a car for more than a day.
It's taken 2 years to understand its no longer worth it. Like, I can work my arse off and still can't make enough overhead to get a place where rent is 1100+ for a room and near zero percent vacancy rate.

Living out of my car and camping at sites on days off was supposed to be a temporary solution to finding a place. Pandemic hits, jobs slow, rentals freeze and nothing available.

Post pandemic has been worse.

Last edited by dammage79; 08-01-2022 at 08:28 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:24 PM   #157
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
It's taken 2 years to understand its no longer worth it. Like, I can work my arse off and still can't make enough overhead to get a place where rent is 1100+ for a room and near zero percent vacancy rate.
Come home and live like a regular person again.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:42 PM   #158
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yaletown? Really? It was a dump in the 80s and 90s but when I left my place of work in 2012 it was pretty damn nice. Even the hookers moved out by then. Shows you how much I get down town these days.
Yep, it's changed a lot. You should come down some time! DM me and I'll take you out for a beer!

Just west of Yaletown, all of the streets including Burrard, Hornby, Howe, Granville, Seymour to Richards have pockets of homeless groups now from around Nelson to Drake. They don't stretch all the way down, but random pockets maybe every 2 blocks or so. Some of the pockets disappear by 10AM but some stay throughout the day, including a mini-encampment right out front of St. Paul's, off to the side.

The Westend is also facing similar challenges, along Davie from Burrard down to Denman. And as the other poster mentioned, alleys in Yaletown, downtown and the Westend are like a scene from The Walking Dead at times, usually the late evening times.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:03 PM   #159
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Victoria BC is no good

https://twitter.com/user/status/1554139775153479680

Hopefully, mercy is granted to the people doing this when they happen to deflate the tires of an SUV belonging to a family about to rush out to the hospital because baby is ready to come out and the dad-to-be catches them.
Do we know Rubecube's whereabouts during this time?
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2022, 10:45 PM   #160
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yep, it's changed a lot. You should come down some time! DM me and I'll take you out for a beer!

Just west of Yaletown, all of the streets including Burrard, Hornby, Howe, Granville, Seymour to Richards have pockets of homeless groups now from around Nelson to Drake. They don't stretch all the way down, but random pockets maybe every 2 blocks or so. Some of the pockets disappear by 10AM but some stay throughout the day, including a mini-encampment right out front of St. Paul's, off to the side.

The Westend is also facing similar challenges, along Davie from Burrard down to Denman. And as the other poster mentioned, alleys in Yaletown, downtown and the Westend are like a scene from The Walking Dead at times, usually the late evening times.

I knew Granville was bad. I was down there in May and it blew me away how bad it was. Felt bad for a lot of the businesses down there.

I am due to stop into Rodney’s one of these days. I’ll shoot you a note if I make it down that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world