Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2020, 01:01 PM   #61
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I have been hopeful but highly sceptical that NA professional sports leagues would find a way to return to play safely this summer. These recent news bits confirm some of my earliest doubts, and I find myself wondering once again at what point does the NHL just cancel the 2019–20 season? It is starting to feel inevitable, once again.

The only good news in this would be another year without playoff hockey for the Edmonton Oilers: Fourteen years and only one playoff berth.

Edmonton is no good.
There are about 1.2 Billion reasons to make every attempt before they pack it in.

We wont know one way or the other for another month though.

Last edited by transplant99; 06-19-2020 at 01:13 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #62
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Tampa voted against playing anyway.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:22 PM   #63
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Didn't see any of that coming

At

All.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:26 PM   #64
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
They won't cancel IMO. I expect all teams based in southern MAGA states to be higher risk (Florida, Texas, Tennessee...)
Once the teams are in isolation, risk will be minimal.
Getting them there is a serious issue as we are seeing today. I agree that the risks are significantly reduced once the League is able to implement a true quarantine, but that won't happen until every player and personnel is cleared. I very highly doubt that TB's situation is an isolated incident. More than likely, there will be a stream of more symptoms and reports of cases to follow over the next few weeks, and these will only serve to back-up the timeline further and further. At some point, the League is simply going to run out of room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #65
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
There are about 1.2 Billion reasons to make every attempt before they pack it in.

We wont know one way or the other for another month though.
Of course the NHL is going to do absolutely everything they can to get back, but there persists the very real likelihood that it is just not possible. I am inclined to think it is just not something that can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #66
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just kill the season already. It was a terrible season anyways. Any season where the Oilers and Canucks are in the playoffs should just be cancelled.

If they go through with this season, it could have major consequences on the health of the players. Nevermind all the Covid risk. Their offseason training regiments are going to be completely thrown out of wack and they are at high risk of injury for the remainder of this season and for next as well.

It's already the end of June and they are talking about another 2 or 3 months of hockey?

I was so looking forward to 13 days from now when the Flames announce the signing of Taylor Hall. Or next weekend when the Flames select their next superstar at the draft. When is any of this going to happen? At Christmas?

Sometimes you just have to do what's right and makes sense. Kill the season, kill it with Flames.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:33 PM   #67
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Florida doing florida things.

Hopefully it's a wake up call to tighten things up. I just don't see how Las Vegas as going to be a good choice.

Players are human and will break/bend rules, best to have them not doing that in the states.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:34 PM   #68
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Of course the NHL is going to do absolutely everything they can to get back, but there persists the very real likelihood that it is just not possible. I am inclined to think it is just not something that can be done.
Lots of players don't want to play. They get paid a lot of money but they are putting themselves at risk playing a contact sport in the current environment. These are young men and we still really don't know what the long term implications are of contracting the virus as for some people the systems can persist long term. I don't blame any athlete for looking at the long term picture here. I'm like any other sports fan where I would love to see some sports but it's starting to look pretty bleak right now.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2020, 01:34 PM   #69
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 2020/2021 season isn't going to start on-time, and unless they figure out how to do this season safely, there won't be a 2020/2021 season at all.

The Covid situation is not going to be any better this fall, or this winter.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #70
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Just kill the season already. It was a terrible season anyways. Any season where the Oilers and Canucks are in the playoffs should just be cancelled.

If they go through with this season, it could have major consequences on the health of the players. Nevermind all the Covid risk. Their offseason training regiments are going to be completely thrown out of wack and they are at high risk of injury for the remainder of this season and for next as well.

It's already the end of June and they are talking about another 2 or 3 months of hockey?

I was so looking forward to 13 days from now when the Flames announce the signing of Taylor Hall. Or next weekend when the Flames select their next superstar at the draft. When is any of this going to happen? At Christmas?

Sometimes you just have to do what's right and makes sense. Kill the season, kill it with Flames.
The thing is....its more likely that they finish this season than play next year at all. So if they kill it now, there is a very good chance that we dont see NHL hockey again until October of 2021.

That's why they are going through all this to begin with. Recoup what they can now when most of the revenue for playoff TV is still on the table instead of just stopping and not being able to go ahead with next season with no fans in the stands. They simply cannot afford to do that. So again, that season is in more jeopardy than finishing this one.

Its a weird but real dichotomy.

As for the draft and all that, it just doesnt matter at this point. The players are all still the same, the homework has all been done on them, trades will happen when they happen but not until this season is completed one way or another. I actually think if they do finish this season in late September/early October, you will see the draft and whatnot happen near halloween...during what would have been the hockey season.

Its gonna be weird because there is unlikely to be hockey anywhere if the NHL cant go which is extremely likely at this point.

All that said.......its still a long long way from happening. Just so many things can go wrong.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:50 PM   #71
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Lots of players don't want to play. They get paid a lot of money but they are putting themselves at risk playing a contact sport in the current environment. These are young men and we still really don't know what the long term implications are of contracting the virus as for some people the systems can persist long term. I don't blame any athlete for looking at the long term picture here. I'm like any other sports fan where I would love to see some sports but it's starting to look pretty bleak right now.
I get it that some may not want to play, but they are part of a union.

That union held a vote and asked them if they wanted to play.

They said yes. They should play. They cant have it both ways.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #72
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

The biggest issue here is, the US is a dumpster fire. Seriously. Move both hub cities to Canada where the league can ensure that spread is kept under control because we aren't being run by a historically terrible leader.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:59 PM   #73
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Luckily it looks like this clown fiesta will be cancelled. See you all in October 2021!
Dragomir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:00 PM   #74
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
The biggest issue here is, the US is a dumpster fire. Seriously. Move both hub cities to Canada where the league can ensure that spread is kept under control because we aren't being run by a historically terrible leader.
Some areas are...others are doing quite well.

They just wont go to 2 Canadian cities and dont really need too.

Vegas makes a lot of sense ONLY if the players and all staff follow the bubble part of things religiously. They could quarantine an entire block arond the arena and have thousands of hotel rooms etc.

I suspect that the NHL will allow players to opt out should they choose to, but anyone agreeing to play will be suspended if found outside the safe areas. It makes sense that way too. Hold each other accountable.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #75
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

500-600 players/personnel coming back to play from around the world.

Maybe a dozen positive cases reported including today. Half of which are considered recovered as they were reported so long ago.

Yep shut it down.

Edit - Just read Auston Matthews has tested positive. Well if Toronto can't play may as well shut it down then. NHL rules.

Last edited by Toonage; 06-19-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #76
doncherry
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Ummmmmm......
Old 06-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #77
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I get it that some may not want to play, but they are part of a union.

That union held a vote and asked them if they wanted to play.

They said yes. They should play. They cant have it both ways.
They actually only agreed to the format and to Phase 2, which is voluntary workouts at the facilities in small groups, not returning to play period. They have yet to agree to the timeline, health and safety protocols, etc.

Still a ways to go before the players even agree to come back for this.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2020, 02:10 PM   #78
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Also, Florida looks to be the hotbed for the entire thing....and thats where the NBA is going to finish their season.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:11 PM   #79
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Auston Matthews was diagnosed with covid 19..... That’s actually insane.
Dragomir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:12 PM   #80
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

How is that insane?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post: