Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default I might as well be the one to ask - home snow removal services?

So as a benefit if being newly married I guess I have inherited duties of cleaning the snow at 2 houses. My own (expected) and my mother-in-law's (husband deceased).

I found out this added extra benefit last night after I came in from shoveling our driveway that now has feet packed almost 6 feet high on the sides thanks to the wind (the negatives and benefits of the wind (chinooks)). As my wife asked if I could go over and shovel her moms walk. Considering my car has less clearance than a normal family sedan getting out of my neighbourhood might be a chore.

Just earlier that day I was trying to figure out a Christmas gift for the MiL (63) and now I know what to get her (so long as the cost isnt to high). The benefit is I would have a built in Christmas gift every year.

Does anyone have any experience with any company in Calgary for residential snow clearing? What a reasonable price might to pay for a years worth for example?

Thanks
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Most companies couldn't be bothered with clearing individual houses, they probably have enough work to keep them going in terms of malls and businesses and parking lots.

Looking on Kijjiji individuals are charging between $30 and $90 per hour, I think it depends on if they use a snowblower or a bobcat.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't really add much, but Captn hit it on the head here, most companies wouldn't bother, so you will be stuck with random schlubs on Kijiji, who likely wouldn't be interested in a contract deal like that.

Best renter we ever had in my Mom's basement was the guy who worked for the snow removal company. Every day when he came back from clearing snow, he would do all the walks at the house and the walks for the neighbours. Built up a lot of good will, so even a year or so after they moved out, the neighbor would still clean the city walks for her.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I will add, on the Kijjiji thing makes sure that you look at the people who are offering references.

You don't want some guy cleaning your sidewalk especially clearing snow in your back yard and breaking into your house or worse.

you know coming home and finding out that your dog is pregnant with some horrible human dog hybrid, that if its allowed to be born will start the end of days.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guy that does my driveway started a company of doing that sort of thing. Pet walks, house checks, snow removal, lawn mowing, etc. Bonded/insured and whatnot. I would assume there's something like that in Calgary as well. I'm happy with the service. I get charged a flat rate ($100) per month, but his prices have went up since for new customers. That doesn't really help a whole lot I guess, but gives you an idea of price. But I'd be looking for that type of service (insured/bonded) vs some guy with a shovel on kijiji.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

What area of the city? My ex does residential services, but only picks up contracts near existing clients
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

She is in Evergreen. In the summer its a 20 minute drive from where we live.

I found this company http://www.shovelledwalk.com/residen...w-removal.html

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with them or is familiar with their services.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Kiss My Asphalt!

Sorry about the VHS quality its all I could find!

Old 12-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It might be cheaper for you to get your mother-in-law a new husband.

Plus you might end up with a new inheritance option, if you chose the new husband wisely.

Win-win.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ran into this same issue with my grandmother. Tried a few different services but all of them had pretty crappy reliability and I typically had to drive over to do it myself anyways. Then her 12 year old neighbor came over one day and offered to do them for her and it's been fantastic since then. He gets paid $20-$40 every time he has to shovel and has also taken over cutting the lawn during the summers as well.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
Yakbutter
Self-ban

Exp:

Call me self centered but why are you responsible for shovelling this woman's driveway? Who would expect someone to drive across town and do their housework for them...yeesh

She should just hire some kid in the neighbourhood to do it. That would be the cheapest solution.
Yakbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Friends of ours use these guys:

http://gnys.ca/faq/index.html#How_do...sidential_snow

I don't know their rates or how prompt they are. I have used them for lawn services and they did an OK job. You might want to take a look at other "lawn care" providers, since they often provide this service to have income in the winter
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

I hired someone off Kijiji. $100/month and he does a great job, even showed up on Monday night and yesterday to clean it up. No complaints at all.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I usually get a few flyers about this in my mail every month, so there are definitely a lot of people that do residential, so you can probably ignore the first few posters who claim otherwise. Finding a reliable, reasonably priced one is going to be the hard part.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #15
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Came in to see a Mr.Plow reference, leaving satisfied
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
It might be cheaper for you to get your mother-in-law a new husband.

Plus you might end up with a new inheritance option, if you chose the new husband wisely.

Win-win.
I hate to break it to you but there is an equal chance the wife's inheritance could go the other way.

Lose-lose.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #17
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

At the rates I'm seeing here, wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy your own snow blower?
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Handsome B. Wonderful For This Useful Post:

Tags
home , mother in law oh joy , residential , snow clearing