Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #181
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

For anyone who has a gateway pvr and a portal, if I had a gateway pvr on one tv and a portal on another tv, can I watch live tv on the portal or only recorded programs? ie does the portal act as another receiver?

I'm considering switching to shaw but I can't find the answer to that question.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #182
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
For anyone who has a gateway pvr and a portal, if I had a gateway pvr on one tv and a portal on another tv, can I watch live tv on the portal or only recorded programs? ie does the portal act as another receiver?

Portal is a tuner as well.

I have my gateway in the basement utility room and a portal on each tv
Old 03-05-2016, 09:14 PM   #183
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post

The Gateway doesn't get connected directly to a TV. The Gateway gets hooked up in your basement at your main cable source and it feeds all the portals throughout your home. The Gateway stores all the recorded programming and the portals at each tv can either play live tv or any recorded programming.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2016, 09:45 PM   #184
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ The new gateways can also connect directly to a TV, no portal needed. Saves you buying one.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #185
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
^ The new gateways can also connect directly to a TV, no portal needed. Saves you buying one.
I didn't know that there was a new Gateway.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:55 AM   #186
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I didn't know that there was a new Gateway.
Old Arris Gateway
https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1265

New Gateway
http://www.shaw.ca/gateway/
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #187
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shaw internet sucking for anyone else these days? Especially seems to happen on the weekends...
cral12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cral12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #188
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Shaw internet sucking for anyone else these days? Especially seems to happen on the weekends...
What's funny was I had just recently transited from Shaw to TekSavvy. This last weekend I had with Shaw I saw my FTP download hit 1Gbps on my original 50Mbps plan.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 09:56 AM   #189
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's been quite slow at my place over the past week or so as well. On and off (sometimes the speed is normal) but many times it is very slow.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #190
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Talked to Shaw help and they are telling me it's probably my router (I bought it myself)
- D-Link DIR 645
- had been working find. I don't get it.
- For WI-FI, connects to my network, but seems to continuously need to search for network
Old 03-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #191
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

@darklord - how is TekSavvy experience thus far?
Old 03-08-2016, 03:30 PM   #192
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Talked to Shaw help and they are telling me it's probably my router (I bought it myself)
- D-Link DIR 645
- For WI-FI, connects to my network, but seems to continuously need to search for network
How convenient for it to be a problem with a piece of equipment that they're not responsible for.

I'd run through some basic troubleshooting stuff on my own. Stuff like connecting a device directly to the modem when you notice slowdowns and seeing if you can isolate it to your actual connection.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aegypticus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #193
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
How convenient for it to be a problem with a piece of equipment that they're not responsible for.

I'd run through some basic troubleshooting stuff on my own. Stuff like connecting a device directly to the modem when you notice slowdowns and seeing if you can isolate it to your actual connection.
When I worked for Shaw, that was almost always the case. I can't count how many "tech savvy" users I had to talk to who insisted their connection problems weren't related to their equipment and had to be on Shaw's end, until I finally convinced them to bypass their router and connect directly to the modem, which then magically fixed their issues. They were always the users with enough knowledge to log into a router and start messing around with stuff but didn't know enough to realize what they were breaking
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #194
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
- D-Link DIR 645
If you've isolated that the problem does not occur when you connect directly to the cable modem, try changing the WiFi channel - could be interference from neighbours. This is especially a problem if you live in a multi-dwelling unit such as townhouses or condos.

Here is a pretty good primer on how to detect how many wifi hotspots there are in range and who is using what channel to best help you select the least utilized channel range.

http://www.howtogeek.com/197268/how-...rating-system/

Or if you're too lazy to read that, just arbitrarily switch the channel and see if that helps. If not, try switching to another channel and so forth until you (hopefully) land on a better channel.

If that still doesn't help, might be time to invest in a 5GHz router. Some of the new high end routers even support automatic channel hopping to the least utilized channel (a feature on found on commercial routers until recently).
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CubicleGeek For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #195
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
When I worked for Shaw, that was almost always the case. I can't count how many "tech savvy" users I had to talk to who insisted their connection problems weren't related to their equipment and had to be on Shaw's end, until I finally convinced them to bypass their router and connect directly to the modem, which then magically fixed their issues. They were always the users with enough knowledge to log into a router and start messing around with stuff but didn't know enough to realize what they were breaking
I suppose that would likely be the case for most people. It kind of blows me away how little logic people will apply to troubleshooting a technological problem. It's not voodoo magic, right?

Try different configurations to isolate the problem. Once you know where the problem is, type it into Google and see what the thousands of other people with the same issue did to fix it. If you can't fix it yourself, call tech support.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aegypticus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 09:50 AM   #196
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Many thanks, everyone.
The channel change seems to have worked.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:30 PM   #197
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
If you've isolated that the problem does not occur when you connect directly to the cable modem, try changing the WiFi channel - could be interference from neighbours. This is especially a problem if you live in a multi-dwelling unit such as townhouses or condos.
Very much this. I was having the same issues as cral12 to the point my wifi was completely dropping every once in a while. Calls to Shaw asking about how to resolve the issue mainly ended up with them saying there's nothing wrong with the router. I asked about the channel and they told me my unit automatically changes to the least used (best option) channel, no need to tinker with the settings and there's nothing they could do, however, if the problem persists, they'd replace my old cable modem/router with a newer one (Mine is nearly 4 years old now).

I manually changed the radio settings from automatic which forced it from channel 1 to a new channel based on the link/apps you listed. Wifi seems to be more stable and quicker now.

The oddest thing is that this issue for me started recently. I used to live downtown in a condo building (where I presume there was way more interference) and experienced no wifi issues such as this. I find it odd that such interference issues occur where I recently moved to (inner city) where (IMO) wireless interference "density" should be lower.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #198
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

As an update, though mine has improved with the channel change, it still hasn't resolved completely and still sluggish at times. I'm in a single dwelling house.

My router is supposed to automatically find optimal channel as well...Like you DoubleF, this is only a recent issue for me as well.
cral12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:52 PM   #199
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. The internet isn't perfect after the channel change, but at least I'm not getting random 10-20 seconds where my internet drops and I can't do anything but keep refreshing. I'll take short stutters over full drops.

If it starts dropping my connection on this channel, I'll be giving Shaw a call and requesting that hardware replacement.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #200
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

My internet got horrendously awful.

I replaced my router, and now it's glorious.

Electronics age, and routers can crap out. Borrow a friend's for an experiment?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: