Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default George Gosbee died yesterday

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/...dead-at-age-47

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...657265043.html

Past owner of the Coyotes and a big contributor to the Edge School I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFeed View Post
The Arizona Coyotes have announced the passing of former team owner George Gosbee.

As reported by Craig Morgan of NHL.com, the details of his death are unknown at this time aside from the fact that he passed yesterday,

Morgan had several interesting quotes in response to the news of Gosbee's passing.

"In my opinion, George Gosbee was the most important person, outside of Gary Bettman, for the Coyotes remaining in Arizona,“ former Coyotes CEO Anthony LeBlanc said.

Deputy commissioner Bill Daly had this to say. “George stepped up at a time when this franchise needed him most. He and his partners created an opportunity for the Coyotes to carve a long-term future in the Valley -- an opportunity that may not have existed without them."

That's a very interesting tidbit there - Gosbee's contributions to Arizona allowed for the Coyotes to stay put when the team's future was at its most dire in the desert.

If it weren't for him, the Coyotes may have relocated. There will always be talks of it happening in the future - but the plans he laid down saved the franchise.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh wow that’s a big loss for Calgary and Alberta, too.

The AltaCorp release said suddenly.

RIP
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #3
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

R.I.P. He was a great person.

Thank you George
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #4
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/WBrettWilson/sta...90278295179265

I believe Brett Wilson tweeted about this, he doesn't say it directly but I assume he's referring to George. RIP, way too young.
Buck Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Stunning news. Wow.

RIP George.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:18 PM   #6
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Terrible news. I can't imagine what would bring someone to end their life like that... Thoughts and prayers.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #7
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tragic

My cousin works at Edge. Great school.

Condolences to his loved ones.
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #8
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Edit - RIP

Last edited by StrykerSteve; 11-13-2017 at 08:29 PM.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #9
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Why is it not suicide?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #10
Madrox
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Not a suicide.

From Eric Francis

News Update

Sad day for the Calgary sports scene at George Gosbee dies at 48, French downhiller killed training at Nakiska and Anthony McClanahan charged w murder

Horrible news.
Those are 3 different stories. Anthony McClanahan has not been charged with murdering Gosbee at Nakiska.
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madrox For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 08:28 PM   #11
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrox View Post
Those are 3 different stories. Anthony McClanahan has not been charged with murdering Gosbee at Nakiska.
Oh geez, frickin’ Francis. Thanks for clarifying.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 08:57 PM   #12
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, recognized the name but I've been out of Alberta and Canada for many years. Recognized him in his pictures, was a year behind me at Churchill. So young, rest in peace George.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #13
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I didn't know who this guy was but read up on his bio. Wow, this guy sure did a lot in 48 years.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #14
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

this is an excerpt of Brett Wilson's seemingly related tweet: "We need more than thoughts and prayers on mental health. We need action and discussion. Reach out. Help is available. .."

to me this is interesting in that Gosbee was a wealthy man, so finances were not a barrier to him getting help - so I wonder what action could have helped him and as for discussion, I think that mental issues are recognized as a disability
Old 11-14-2017, 08:08 PM   #15
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy - an extremely sad day for the Calgary business community. I had a brief run in with Mr. Gosbee during my brief investment banking career. All who knew him had nothing but tremendous things to say.

Rest in peace.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:18 AM   #16
jaydub74
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
this is an excerpt of Brett Wilson's seemingly related tweet: "We need more than thoughts and prayers on mental health. We need action and discussion. Reach out. Help is available. .."

to me this is interesting in that Gosbee was a wealthy man, so finances were not a barrier to him getting help - so I wonder what action could have helped him and as for discussion, I think that mental issues are recognized as a disability
The financial aspect of dealing with mental inless is definitely a factor in the diagnosis and treatment of mental health patients. It seems only those who exhibit extreme symptoms of mental illness are dealt with in a hospital setting. Those with depression, anxiety OCD etc are left to find help in their own. The costs of this are not covered under Alberta health, but maybe covered by insurance if you have it.

A second factor is finding the correct phycologist. I suffered OCD and extreme anxiety for years that went incorrectly diagnosed. I was almost non functional, had left my job and was basically house riden, it was awful. I tried numerous phycologists, with no real results. I finally found a dr. Who understood what was happening, and she was able to work with me to reduce the impact this illness had on me. The correct dr. And diagnosis it vital, otherwise you really not improving. I can honestly say my Dr. saved my life.

Although GG had the finances, he may have not been properly diagnosised. The brain is a complicated thing.

The other factor, especially with a prominent person like himself, is embarrassement. Discussion around mental illness has come a long way, but when your in the midst of it, it's s tough thing to admit and talk about. Being willing to discus it with others, and for others to understand is a huge part of healing.

I wrote this on my phone, please excuse any grammar errors

Last edited by jaydub74; 11-15-2017 at 10:23 AM.
jaydub74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaydub74 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #17
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...cide-1.4505922
Quote:
Karen Gosbee talks about the suicide of her husband, one of Calgary's most respected businessmen
Investment banker George Gosbee took his own life in November, despite having a successful career and family
By Dave Dormer, CBC News Posted: Jan 27, 2018 7:00 AM MT Last Updated: Jan 27, 2018 8:11 AM MT

At age 48, Calgary businessman George Gosbee seemed to be on top of the world.

He had built up two investment banks from scratch, he had a wife and three kids, and even owned a piece of the Arizona Coyotes NHL hockey team.

But in November of last year, Gosbee took his own life.

And now his widow, Karen Gosbee, is speaking out about her late husband's struggles with mental health and a dependence on alcohol and pills.
Quote:
Q: When did you become aware there was a problem?

A: I knew there was a problem right from the beginning. I was very familiar with that type of behaviour because I was raised with alcoholism and suicide ideations. So as soon as I married into it, it was familiar to me. And it was normal for me, although it was abnormal.

Q: How long had alcohol been playing a destructive role in his life?

A: He had binge drinking episodes, which one would think were normal just for a student and a young person. They happened frequently, and as he got older, they never ceased, they never slowed down, they just continued to get more and more and then eventually his drinking turned into a daily occurrence.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:22 PM   #18
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I remember correctly, when he first bought a piece of the Coyotes, the Sun did a piece on him, saying that he love hockey and always wanted to own a hockey team and since owning the Flames wasn't an option, he pursued the Coyotes.

The funny part of that article was that his mother is a diehard Flames fan and when he brought a Coyotes jersey to his mom, his mom refused to put it on.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:44 PM   #19
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...orbella-gosbee
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 08:03 PM   #20
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Turns out he was not a good person, did not want help, was an abusive POS, that beat his wife up constantly and abused his kid.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote