Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #21
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, an adaptation of the Lord of the Rings books!

Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #22
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

For some reason, I usually associate literary characters with somebody real who has their first name, so I was thinking about Tom Jones as Tom Bombadil. At least he has the singing chops. Same with Goldberry - Gold Dust Woman, so - Stevie Nicks.

Yes, I imagined Tom Bombadil and Goldberry as Tom Jones and Stevie Nicks in my mind's eye while reading it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #23
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I found those Hobbit films pretty tough to get through. Sounds like they could be going for a more adult tone with this series though.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:53 PM   #24
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I just read the "multiple seasons" are to take place between the time of the Hobbit and LOTR.

Not sure there's enough material there for THAT to happen.

Expectations lowered.

I don’t think there is any material of Tolkien’s that covered that ground? I imagine it would just be some expanded universe stuff about the adventures of Bilbo, occasionally guest starring zany pranksters Balin and Gollum.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #25
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just read the "multiple seasons" are to take place between the time of the Hobbit and LOTR.

Not sure there's enough material there for THAT to happen.

Expectations lowered.
Loads of material for the 60-odd years between the Hobbit and LotR. The re-occupation of Dol Goldur in Mirkwood, Sauron revealing himself in Mordor. Political stuff in Gondor. The opening of Moria. Rangers fighting off bad guys in the North.

And the Silmarilian is great. Tolkien was a better myth-maker than he was a novelist. I couldn't get through LotR the last time I tried to read it, but the Silmarilion still holds up, if you're into sagas and history.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #26
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

So much epic #### happened in Silmarillion though. Fall of Gondolin, coming of the Elves, dwarves and men, Fall of Numenor... betrayal, kin-slaying, accidental incest, dark lords, balrogs, dragons, love stories. The list goes on.

I suppose there is enough background to make TV series of Hobbit-LOTR era events, but if and when Silmarillion stories ever make it to the big or small screens, it'll be awesome. Maybe.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:14 PM   #27
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Second Age saga around the Fall of Gondolin would be epic.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #28
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Count me as excited, the hobbit movies were a bit of a train wreck but I don't care I love that universe.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #29
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, there's no shortage of stuff there. Hell, you could do a whole series simply on Balin's attempts to reclaim Moria and it's eventual fall.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #30
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The rights acquired are the TV rights to LOTR only so Silmarillion events are unlikely in this series. There are endless possibilities just in Appendix A and B from LOTR though including:

- History of Arnor, the Northern Kingdom, it's divide into petty kingdoms and wars with the Witch King.
- History of the Gondor kings and stewards.
- History of the Rohirrim and how they made alliance with Gondor.
- Back story on the Dwarves' quest for Erebor and later Balin re-taking Moria.
- Back story on the five wizards.
- Life story of Aragorn, how he was raised in Rivendell, how he served in Rohan and Gondor under an alias, and of course the love story with Arwen.
- Chronological history of the entire second and third ages and later events of the nine companions.

Lots to work with there but without actual stories and dialogue from Tolkien it'll basically amount to fan fiction. Hopefully they put a good team together and do it justice.
station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #31
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

This could be huge news potentially:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/j-r-r-tolkie...sta-1820476459

Quote:
The news this week that Warner Bros. and Amazon are now working on a The Lord of the Rings series came as a bit of a surprise, since it’d been widely assumed that Christopher Tolkien would never give anyone the rights again. It’s now come out that Tolkien, who has safeguarded the rights of his father J.R.R. Tolkien’s work, recently resigned as director of Tolkien Estate—signifying a major change on the horizon for adaptations of Tolkien’s work.
Quote:
The revered Tolkien scholar, who spent decades organizing J.R.R. Tolkien’s estate, was notoriously protective of his father’s work. Movie rights for The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings had already been licensed in the 1960s (leading to the Warner Bros. films that Christopher Tolkien reportedly hated, according to a 2012 interview with Le Monde)
Quote:
Now that Christopher Tolkien has retired, the “rights frenzy” for his properties can begin, as Tolkien enthusiast Michael Martinez wrote on his blog. Currently, the plans are for an Amazon series set in the world of The Lord of the Rings, which reportedly came after a bidding war between several networks. Given that Tolkien Estate incorporated in 2011 and Christopher Tolkien is no longer holding the reins, it looks to be open season for Tolkien films, shows, theme parks, or pretty much anything else you could imagine.
Could we see a Silmarillion adaptation now? Whoever is taking over surely will have a hard time saying no to the mountains of money being offered to them for different rights. Christopher really hated having his father's work adapted (and his own, for that matter).
Old 11-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #32
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't be surprised if Disney bought all the rights.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #33
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if Disney bought all the rights.
I wouldn't be against this. It appears they spared no expense when it came to Star Wars, so it'd be great to have them pick up the Middle earth properties. All the source material is there, so there is a good base to work with.

I only ask that they cast 100% British actors. And when I say British, I mean anyone who speaks non-North American English. Except John C Reilly for Tom Bombadil
Old 11-16-2017, 03:43 PM   #34
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I'd also be ok with Disney taking over, they've done right by two of my other favourite franchises.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #35
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some news:

https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/07/lord-of...nd-age-amazon/

Quote:
As author J.R.R. Tolkien once said of writing his Middle-earthian books, “I wisely started with a map.” So, over the past couple of weeks, Amazon too started promoting its forthcoming The Lord of the Rings series by releasing a series of maps. While they sparked a lively debate from fans about what they all mean for the series, the time period setting is now confirmed.

“Welcome to the Second Age,” Amazon tweeted on Thursday morning.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #36
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's good, I'm glad they aren't going to try to shoe horn in Hobbit and LOTR references. There will be a few, but they should be consistent with the past stories.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #37
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah seems like a good choice. Setting the series on the third age would have been a pain with continuity, and just generally more limiting.

Setting things in the second age, there's less baggage, but you can still have Sauron but do him differently, and Rivendell, and use characters mentioned in the movies like Isildur, show Moria when it was still the great city of Khazad Dum...

You also don't need to fret as much about things looking or being different to what it was like in the movies. It's literally a different age.

Oh, and you can now have lots of different rings to make a big deal about instead of just the one

Last edited by Itse; 03-07-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #38
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Cool. I'm excited about that. Good idea to distance yourself from the current content, but still be able to draw on portions.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #39
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't be against this. It appears they spared no expense when it came to Star Wars, so it'd be great to have them pick up the Middle earth properties.
Much of what they've done with all that money has been to produce mass-market trash, so yeah, no thanks.

The fact that Christopher Tolkein has relinquished control over what's done creatively with his dad's world does not bode well at all for the quality of what's produced here. There's plenty of potential for this to basically end up as another Shannara Chronicles.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #40
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

All the material in Middle Earth RPGs - is it based on the actual books, or is it all new fan fiction?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote